Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Order of the Ender Series

Author Topic: Order of the Ender Series
pmcalduff
Member # 2963

- posted      Profile for pmcalduff   Email pmcalduff         Edit/Delete Post 
I got the complete Ender series including “First Meetings: In the Enderverse” as a late Christmas present. However, I’m not sure what order I should read them in. On this website OSC lists both the chorological order and the order of publication but offers no advice as to which way would be best. I would appreciate some advice.
Posts: 20 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
eh it really depends on your tastes.

I perfer to read the Ender focused books (Ender's game, Speaker, Xenocide, Children) in succession then move onto the Shadow Series and read those in succession.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I always prefer to read books in the order that the author wrote them, but this is just a preference.

I don't think that there is a "right" and "wrong" way to read them.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AstroStewart
Member # 2597

- posted      Profile for AstroStewart   Email AstroStewart         Edit/Delete Post 
I would personally read the Ender focused books first as well, just because I like them better (Ender rocks! hehe). I read the books in the order of publication and that seemed to work fine for me, but who knows...
Posts: 280 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ray
Member # 2415

- posted      Profile for Ray   Email Ray         Edit/Delete Post 
I read them in the order of publication, but when I re-read them in a few more months, I'll probably read them in chronological order, just to see how it flows.

But like everyone else said, it's personal preference. I like all the books, and most of them stand on their own fairly well.

Posts: 329 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
x__sockeh__x
Member # 3069

- posted      Profile for x__sockeh__x   Email x__sockeh__x         Edit/Delete Post 
Hm..I read them in this order:
Ender's Game
Ender's Shadow
Shadow of the Hegemon
Shadow Puppets
Speaker for the Dead
Xenocide
Children of the Mind
Shadow of the Giant
That's just me though. I would've read SotG sooner, but it wasn't out then. =) I love the Bean series (Bean is the best!). I haven't read First Meetings yet (Hoping to soon, though.), but I'd probably read that after the Ender series, if I were you.

Posts: 168 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Read Ender's Game first. That's really all that matters.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you're an absolute chronological freak and read First Meetings.
Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dreadlord
Member # 2913

- posted      Profile for dreadlord   Email dreadlord         Edit/Delete Post 
yay.

seriously, I've read everything but First Meetings & SotG. loved them. I personally read it the first time in order published, but then I'll read them however I want.

I just read the Harry Potter series backwards, just FYI.

yay, again.

Posts: 240 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Epic Dave
Member # 3064

- posted      Profile for Epic Dave   Email Epic Dave         Edit/Delete Post 
EG first. That's the key. To someone gifted (or cursed) witha free slate on the series, I recommend ES right afterwards. Then, pick a storyline and commit to it. I'd go with the Ender books, just because the allusions made during the Shadow books seem weird otherwise. If you read the Ender books first, the Shadow books have details to give you an "oh yeah..." sort of feeling. FM?
Polish Boy and Teacher's Pest-Read them midway through the shadow books. Maybe post SP
Ender's Game- Read it after EG or ES. The two different versions of the same characters are interesting.
Investment Councilor- Read it after SFTD.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheMaia
Member # 3231

- posted      Profile for TheMaia   Email TheMaia         Edit/Delete Post 
You have to read the Enders Game series first before you begin the Shadow series because once you are introduced to Bean you begin to see Ender in a completely different way. And that would ruin the rest of Enders books. Well not really ruin. But there are just some things that are added to Enders story so that you can understand Bean better. But once you finish all of the Shadow series you must read Enders Game again. Because even though you don't want to know Bean's side until you read all of Ender's, you have to see what Ender was going through looking at it with Bean's perspective.
Anyway that is what I would do.

Posts: 6 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aalanya
Member # 3263

- posted      Profile for Aalanya   Email Aalanya         Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest waiting on Bean until you've finished Speaker for the Dead at least. I read Ender's Shadow before Speaker and ended up getting really depressed because I had fallen even more in love with the characters.

But if you wait on Bean until after reading all of Ender, it's like going back and visiting old friends.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wusong101
Member # 3320

- posted      Profile for Wusong101   Email Wusong101         Edit/Delete Post 
Aalanya, you are so right. That's what I love about all of these books. It really is like going back and visiting old friends. OSC has a marvelous way of creating characters that I seem to really connect with.
Posts: 19 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RCSHIELDS
Member # 3362

- posted      Profile for RCSHIELDS   Email RCSHIELDS         Edit/Delete Post 
Because I'm a contemporary of OSC I had little choice but to read the Ender series in published order. I do believe, however, that Elan is correct, read Ender's Game first, the order after that will become obvious to you.

Rob.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.