Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Mary Doria Russell

Author Topic: Mary Doria Russell
Aalanya
Member # 3263

- posted      Profile for Aalanya   Email Aalanya         Edit/Delete Post 
Have any of you read The Sparrow and/or Children of God? I thought they were quite good. Actually, they made me a bit intimidated. I'm trying to portray some new and interesting cultures in a story I'm writing at the moment, but I don't think I could do nearly as good a job as she has done. I suppose that's due in part to the fact that she was trained as an anthropologist.

I also really appreciated the fact that even though the stories were a bit graphic in places, there was a reason for that and it worked.

Anyone else read these books?

Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved those books.

Have you read A THREAD OF GRACE which is her most recent book?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aalanya
Member # 3263

No, I'll have to go pick it up.
Posts: 132 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Be warned that it isn't science fiction or fantasy. It's straight historical. But it's as well-written as her other books, with characters just as interesting.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aalanya
Member # 3263

No problem for me. I love good writing, regardless of genre.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.