Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » War and Peace

Author Topic: War and Peace
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
So I started re-reading this last night, and I just have to wonder whether you expect to get further into a 1200 page book before getting hooked. I mean, the two characters it begins with, you rather hope will get safes dropped on them. You meet at couple of interesting characters within a few chapters, and if you know the story you see that all the threads of the story have been laid out, like the woof on a loom in the first 5 chapters.

I guess another thing to consider is this was a historical novel at the time it was written.

Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I read the beginning of "War and Peace," but couldn't get into it. I blame the cultural divide, and, lately, my suspicion that the original translation may not have been up to spec.

And even more lately, my callow inepxerience. I might do better today. The recommendations keep coming, and I know a lot more about the Napoleonic Wars than I did when I was a teenager...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pooka
Member # 1738

- posted      Profile for pooka   Email pooka         Edit/Delete Post 
The things that stand out in my mind are his descriptions of the ladies and then after a few more chapters you get Andrei and Pierre really talking, and that's great.
Posts: 334 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.