Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » A bunch of first lines

Author Topic: A bunch of first lines
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Guess the book from the first line:

http://people.cornell.edu/pages/jad22/plain/english.html

It's interesting looking at a bunch of first lines like that. Some of them are classics, some of them are pretty lame. But what interested me the most was how many books I was able to identify even if I'd never read the book. So many of the first lines tie directly to the title or the main point that you hear about.

For example, I've never read The Mill on the Floss, but what else could this be:

"A wide plain, where the broadening Floss hurries on between its green banks to the sea, and the loving tide, rushing to meet it, checks its passage with an impetuous embrace."

Or Emma:

"Emma Woodhouse, handsome, clever, and rich, with a comfortable home and happy disposition, seemed to unite some of the best blessings of existence; and had lived nearly twenty-one years in the world with very little to distress or vex her."

Or The Bridge of San Luis Rey:
"On Friday noon, July the twentieth, 1714, the finest bridge in all Peru broke and precipitated five travelers into the gulf below."

I'm just amazed at how effectively many of these lines set up the books that followed by establishing the key character or theme or setting or event or whatever in the very first line.

Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
It's also amazing how many books and stories open with someone waking up.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
That's why that kind of opening has become cliche.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Being cliche doesn't stop writers from using it. I see it a lot still in published novels.
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Opening a story with a character waking up is something I've tried to stop doing---ever since I noticed how often I was doing it...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

I did it once, in one of my earliest stories, before I realized how many more interesting places there are to start stories.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

Some published 1st lines (and one or two more) I liked --

SS-GB by Len Deighton

"Himmler's got the King locked up in the Tower of London," said Harry Woods. "But now the German Generals say the army should guard him."

Alternate history in the thriller mainstream. Deighton got a lot of setting across with just a couple of references.

A humorous one I kind of liked. From THE SECOND ASSISTANT by Claire Naylor and Mimi Hare

"Your job will be to separate the white thumbtacks from the colored ones. But be sure to throw the colored ones away. They must leave the building. If they don't, then __you__ will."

Shoot. The first lines I keep remembering seem to need a sentence or two following.

One thing I don't see discussed here about openings/first lines etc. Not only the novel or story itself has an important opening line(s), but every subsequent chapter needs a good opening, too. Every chapter, every start after a hard scenebreak, every scene itself needs a good opening. And there aren't that many different opening structures. A handful keep getting recycled all over the place.

Annabel Lee
Member # 2635

- posted      Profile for Annabel Lee   Email Annabel Lee         Edit/Delete Post 
Browsing in the bookshop the other day, I picked up Ray Bradbury's 'Something Wicked This Way Comes'.

The first line -
'The seller of lightning rods arrived just ahead of the storm.'
Totally sold the book to me.

[This message has been edited by Annabel Lee (edited June 12, 2006).]

Posts: 22 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

More interesting than "The seller of lightning rods woke up just before the storm," I think.
Shendülféa
Member # 2964

- posted      Profile for Shendülféa   Email Shendülféa         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think I've ever begun a story with a character waking up...

I also don't usually like stories that begin that way.

First lines that I usually find interesting are ones that make some sort of unusual statement that makes me think, "What in the world...?"

I think my favorite comes from Elantris (although, ironically, it begins with a character waking up, but it was done in such a way that it grabbed my attention):

"Prince Raoden of Arelon awoke early that morning, completely unaware that he had been damned for all eterninty."

Brilliant.

Posts: 107 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.