Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Dune

Author Topic: Dune
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but does anybody else hate the Dune series?

I loved the 1st book, but the 2nd and 3rd were terrible, and I didn't continue after giving up on the 3rd.

Not sure why they are "SF Classics."

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
After reading it through twice, I liked the first. I tried the second, and gave up. It was just too tedious, too hard to follow, and too hard to find a reason to care.
Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Liked the first, hated the second, liked the third (which I read before I read the second), liked the fourth...lost the ball after that one.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read any of them. This is precisely the reason. Anyone I've asked has given mixed reviews. Oh, and being completely worm/snake phobic hasn't helped.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not going to crucify you for your opinion. People have different tastes.

However, I loved the series. The only one I had a hard time with was God Emperor of Dune. I liked the complete flip-flop of society in the later Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse Dune.

I think Dune was a brilliant series, sadly left uncompleted. It not only encompassed The Iliad, but predicted the current Gulf Wars decades ahead of time.

quote:

Not sure why they are "SF Classics."

To answer your question:

Elements of Dune can be found in much of Sci-Fi, from Steve Perry's Matador series to Star Wars. Also, it is like the Lord of the Rings of Sci-fi -- with the exception that each component of the story is a stand-alone novel.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DeepDreamer
Member # 5337

- posted      Profile for DeepDreamer   Email DeepDreamer         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because I didn't like it doesn't mean it isn't good fiction. I didn't care for Lord of the Rings either, and there's a world of people out there who feel otherwise. I think it was my lack of ability to connect with any characters in either series that kept me from really getting into them.

But it is a classic, it's had a significant influence on the SF genre, and my opinion of it doesn't change that at all.

Posts: 34 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I take it a lot of people who hang 'round here belong to a younger crowd, and haven't touched base with the many SF classics that influenced me so. So much of it is unavailable, out of print or in hard-to-get "special" editions...

Fair's fair, though...I've read only a smattering of the recent stuff, a lot of which is probably just as good as the "classics" I remember.

(For lack of a better place, I'll mention I just picked up another reprint, a new collection by the late Poul Anderson: To Outlive Eternity and Other Stories. Some great stuff in there. I'm still impressed by Anderson's work---but I was quite shocked to realize it's been at least twenty-five years, maybe longer, since I last read "No Truce With Kings," collected within. The collection seems to be easily available...if you're curious, pick it up.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dulci
Member # 5051

- posted      Profile for Dulci   Email Dulci         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got done reading the first book and am trying to hunt down the second (my library loves to leave at least one book out of any given series - they have most of the Ender books except Ender's Game itself...)

Anyway, I loved it. And I'm in the younger generation. I loved how complex it was, a "meat" story and not just glamorous fluff. Seems to me there's not too many of those these days...

I did see the influence it had on Star Wars, definately.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
I've read and reread the series many times, as well as the not nearly as good prequels that Herberts son and Anderson have published.

Dune - Loved it
Dune,
Messiah - Least favorite but still enjoyed it

Children of Dune - Nice twists and has a flavor similar to the first book

God Emperor or Dune - Radical departure in tone, this is where alot of people stop reading them, it is a good book but aside from setting bears little resemblence to the earlier books.

Heretics of Dune - Continues the tone of God Emperor and is enjoyable if you can make the shift

Chapterhouse Dune - This is often belittled as nothing but two nuns arguing for 600 pages, I did not find the book to be like that at all, I thought the dialogue they had was well interspersed with the Bashar storyline and it even kind of ended with a classic cliffhanger.

The prequel books are worth reading just to glimpse the source material that Frank Herbert was working from as executed by his son and Anderson.

The pre-prequels set during the original Jihad were not so interesting, but still worth a look if you are a true Dunehard fan.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I loved them all: Frank Herbert's; Brian Herbert's and Kevin J. Anderson's.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.