Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » What makes popular books popular?

Author Topic: What makes popular books popular?
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I've been picking up bestsellers at garage sales all summer (can't beat $.50-$1.00 for a book that I can use for research, even if I don't actually read the whole thing!) I picked up The Secret Life of Bees recently, by Sue Monk Kidd.

According to the liner notes, this is the author's first novel, though she has published several memoirs and short stories (and one of the parts of Secret Life won a short story award.)

It was wildly successful - the liner notes say over 3 million copies sold, first published in 2002, spent more than 80 weeks on the NYT bestseller list.

So - let's have a look, shall we? If anyone is game, I'll post first 13s of other books I've picked up, and have a short story anthology of Asimov's that includes some sci-fi authors' first or early short stories. I'd love to have some discussion about them. I'll post a fragment when I get the chance, maybe a few times a week. If I'm the only one discussing, I'll stop.

So here goes, Secret Life of Bees:

(chapters open with a quote from books about bees, I'm skipping those parts though I'm sure they're relevant to the chapter, we're just looking at openings here.)

At night I would lie in bed and watch the show, how bees squeezed through the cracks of my bedroom wall and flew circles around the room, making that propeller sound, a high=pitched zzzz that hummed along my skin. I watched their wings shining like bits of chrome in the dark and felt the longing build in my chest. The way those bees flew, not even looking for a flower, just flying for the feel of the wind, split my heart down its seam.

During the day, I heard them tunneling through the walls of my bedroom, sounding like a radio tuned to static in the next room, and I imagined them in there turning the walls into honey-combs, with honey seeping out for me to taste.

The bees came the summer of 1964, the summer I turned fourteen... (end of fragment)

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited June 08, 2007).]

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nova1021
Member # 3242

- posted      Profile for Nova1021   Email Nova1021         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
At night I would lie in bed and watch the show, how bees squeezed through the cracks of my bedroom wall and flew circles around the room, making that propeller sound, a high=pitched zzzz that hummed along my skin. (I don't think I've ever seen bees out at night... but then, maybe that's because they weren't living in the walls of my room...) I watched their wings shining like bits of chrome in the dark and felt the longing build in my chest. The way those bees flew, not even looking for a flower, just flying for the feel of the wind, split my heart down its seam.

During the day, I heard them tunneling through the walls of my bedroom, sounding like a radio tuned to static in the next room, and I imagined them in there turning the walls into honey-combs, with honey seeping out for me to taste.

The bees came the summer of 1964, the summer I turned fourteen

Very good writing, I wouldn't change much. The "hook" isn't super strong, but I am wondering why there are bees in the walls of this person's bedroom, and the writing is great, so I'd read more.

Posts: 12 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked secret life of bees, but I kept reading in spite of the first 13, which didn't make much sense to me, because of what I had heard about it and the blurb. It's a very tender and intimate story, and it reminded me a little bit of Little Alters Everywhere, which i also really liked.

On the other hand, I just read a book called "Twilight" which my daughter gave me. her and her friends have all been passing it around. Oh, my, was that a snooze. and it was on the NYT Bestseller list for about a century (In all fairness, though it was a YA and pretty tame). But the first thirteen was GOOD. I finally read the DaVince Code and couldn't believe that was what all the fuss was about. Even natioanl treasure seemed better. It was okay, but the hype it generated, i expected a lot more.

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody gave me a copy of the first "Left Behind" book. (Might've been a freebie for buying something that day---I forget.) I read the first chapter, didn't think much of writing or the story setup---looked like something Stephen King did better in "The Langoliers"---and I put it away and read no more.

I don't know what makes a book popular---if I knew, I'd be doing it, and I'd've been on the bestseller lists back in my teens. But I do know that just because a book is popular doesn't mean you or I will like it...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The way those bees flew, not even looking for a flower, just flying for the feel of the wind, split my heart down its seam.

My parents were beekeeper when I was a kid, so the apparent inaccuracies in the first 13 lines alone rather turned me off. I seriously doubt bees ever fly purely for the sake of 'feeling the wind." However, I, too, and curious about why there are bees in her walls and so might read on a bit to find out.

Frankly, I don't read NY Times bestsellers. I don't tend to keep track of them, but those that I do hear about never sound interesting to me. Who knows? Maybe I'm missing something.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

usually, you can tell because it will say somewhere on the cover "NYTBEST SELLER!!! That's how I usually know.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
The thing I was wondering about with this book was, did a whole lot of people keep reading in SPITE of the first 13, or was the first 13 the elusive hook we're all searching for in fragments and feedback?

I get the feeling from these 13 and from a very very light skim of the book (too many other things I really want to read keeping me from actually reading this novel) that the first 13 aren't what the rest of the book is about. They don't really introduce the conflict, they do start to introduce the main character, but you don't get much about her other than she's not COMPLETELY GROSSED OUT BY BEES, you know, the way many of us would be if we slept in a room buzzing with bees.

At any rate, I find myself wondering with this book in particular, was it word of mouth that made it popular? The writing is clear, easy to read, not too flowery. I don't know much about the storyline, other than I'm not particularly interested in it. But 3 million people WERE. Is it because it features topics of interest to women? I've read recently that women buy something like 60% of all fiction? Maybe more? I can't recall where I heard the stat, probably here.

So was this just a word of mouth success or is there something intrinsic here? (Not expecting to find the answer to that question, really, but just throwing it out for consideration.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

doesn't it say somewhere that she received a grant to finish this? My impression was it was university driven, and her standing might have given her some support in the lit community to get it published.
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So was this just a word of mouth success or is there something intrinsic here? (Not expecting to find the answer to that question, really, but just throwing it out for consideration.)

I think that a lot of books rely on word of mouth. I don't know how the NYT list determines which books appear there, but I do know that many casual readers (and I think that there are more casual readers in North America than avid ones) will pick up a book only if its "worth" has been proven by recognition from the NYT, and/or some manner of award.

quote:
I finally read the DaVince Code and couldn't believe that was what all the fuss was about.

I agree. I will admit that it was a page-turner, but it wasn't a book I'd ever bother to read again.

I think that with so many other forms of entertainment - TV, Internet, film - many modern readers are just looking for a little bit of escapism they can take with them to beaches and waiting rooms. I think that by the time they purchase a book, they've already been hooked by word-of-mouth, clever covers, and other marketing tools. And many people aren't aware of the "first 13" principle, so they won't be looking at the first few lines with a microscope like we might. They'll probably give it about a chapter or two to get them interested.

With the Secret Life of Bees, I think that its hook could well have been in the summary rather than the first 13, and that's what got an editor interested. And by the time it hit the shelves for a while, it had already accumulated a comet-trail of positive reviews and advertisements here and there, and so a curious readership flocked to it.

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Secret Life of Bees pushes all the buttons -- feminism, race, love, handicaps. It is totally false to life, a big birthday cake of a book, icing all the way through. It was a best seller because it whispers all the lies we love to hear.
Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lehollis
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for lehollis   Email lehollis         Edit/Delete Post 
The first 13 of a novel doesn't have to hook with conflict the way a short story might. Many 1-13s of novels focus on character, or even a setting.

I think this shows that good writing and a character are enough of a hook. I would have kept reading to see more of it. This doesn't make me think I've got to finish the book, but I would have turned the page. To me, that's all a hook has to do. Get them to the next page and keep them from saying, "This guy's a doofus."

Posts: 696 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nitewriter
Member # 3214

- posted      Profile for nitewriter   Email nitewriter         Edit/Delete Post 
"Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a best-seller that could have been prevented by a good teacher." Flannery O'Connor.

Timing and or "pushing" a book may get it on the road to popularity. The mention of the title of a book (that might otherwise go nowhere) by no less an "authority" than Oprah will send book sales into the stratosphere. Some she recommends might even be well written, though it doesn't seem to be a requirement.

Maybe I'm sceptical, but I don't believe a book has to be well written, or even have to say anything of consequence, in order to be popular. If only it appeals to needs/emotions of the reader that is often enough.

[This message has been edited by nitewriter (edited July 22, 2007).]

Posts: 409 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.