Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » "Character Driven" Shorts vs Plot Drive

Author Topic: "Character Driven" Shorts vs Plot Drive
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

- posted      Profile for Matt Lust   Email Matt Lust         Edit/Delete Post 
So much of the short fic market talks about wanting "character driven stories." Yet much of the criticism I find be given in F&F for shorts is to deal with pacing and "hooking".

Maybe these are not mutually exclusive but at times and my enjoyment/Predilection for telling character narratives (ie telling a characters story rather than using characters to tell a story) makes me wonder about how "fast" my stories develop.

So in effort I'm pasting some examples of published shorts from major SF/F/H mags and I'd appreciate ya'lls opinion about them. I personally find that much of these are slow in their pacing. I tried to be as "random" as possible in selecting stories so as not to bias the selection. I also believe these are all only 13 lines from the stories. I placed all these in word and courier font before posting.

They do love to talk. There always has to be conversation
before, and afterward, unless they're deeply drunk, words are
pretty much mandatory. Nothing makes women happier than
hours of empty, soul-baring chatter. There's even a few of
them that need to talk while they're doing it. Of course their
words get awfully simple, if it's during. They grunt out
commands and sometimes encouragement, and a few favorite
phrases are repeated with predictable rhythm. But if a man
can hold his cadence, and if he knows what she likes, it isn't
boring. Simple and busy and very crude noise wrapped
around a fair amount of pleasure, or maybe a huge amount of
pleasure. Then it's finished, preferably for him and for her
both, and everyone gets a few moments of silence marked

Magic with Thirteen-Year-Old Boys by Robert Reed FSF March 2007

There's a fine line between a tool and an addictive drug....
Winston was on the Sunset Highway when it happened.
He'd just crested the Sylvan Hill, where the freeway, living up
to its name, lined up directly on the late-afternoon sun. He
squinted, winced, and reached for the visor, but at the same
time, he reached out with his mind, as though trying to wipe
the sunbeams out of his eye with the swipe of a mental
cursor.
It was an obvious fantasy wish, and the safeties should
have ignored it. Instead, he had an odd flickering sensation,
as though crossing from one reality to another—sort of like a
mental hiccup. It wasn't the first time he'd had such a
sensation, and he'd been meaning to have it checked out—

911-Backup by Richard A. Lovett from Analog Nov 2005

The high priest facing the giant stone disk made a hasty
obeisance as a jaguar screamed in the distance, then turned
back to the circle of sub-priests who sat next to the
stonecutter. For a moment there was nothing but the
chattering of monkeys in the forest below the pyramid. The
high priest counted again on his fingers and toes, then looked
at the waiting circle of men.
"So the day of the dog is followed by the day of the
monkey in the month of the new sun in the great cycle of the
Father God One Hunahpu?"
The chief calculator bobbed his head affirmatively and
grinned, showing pointed teeth inlaid with jade. "Which will
be repeated eighteen times twenty, times twenty, turnings of

Keeping Track by Richard Foss from Analog November 2005

Robert wasn't a marine biologist. He was a gardener and a
physicist, in that order. Roses were his first love;
nanomachines came in a distant second. If asked what he
wanted to be remembered for after his death, he would have
said "A new cultivar" rather than "A molecular assembler." He
was well on the way toward the former, and showing
workmanlike progress toward the latter, when disaster struck.
His Edison/Tesla hybrid was showing great promise, with
double blooms and a spicy fragrance that hinted rather than
shouted its presence in the garden. It seemed hardy enough,
even in California's muggy swelter. The change in climate
since the turn of the century had killed many a stalwart
standby, but the E/T rose, as he had come to think of it, kept

Diatomaceous Earth by Jerry Oltion from Analog December 2006

"Hey, you. Yes, you, next to the fern stump."
I parted the camouflage netting covering my foxhole. The
talkative cruise missile hovered a few meters from my position. Ducking, I rolled to the monitors. The sensors I had
deployed across the river showed no advancing enemy.
Nonetheless, I grabbed my weapon.
"If you are going to point a rifle at me," said the missile,
"shoot. Get it over with."
Chagrined, I lowered my weapon. "Kinda be stupid to
shoot five tons of explosives sitting on my doorstep." Kind of
irritating that an alien cruise missile spoke better English than
I did.
"Are you as bored as I am?"

BATTLEFIELD GAMES by R. Neube from Asimov's January 2007

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
It's tough. I know. I have a character-based story up in F&F right now. I tried to illustrate the "what he was" aspect, but -- because of it's setting -- I think that nobody can really get past that (it's heroic fantasy). I thought that the title would help with the hook.

This is what I noticed about most of you examples:

1) Magic with Thirteen-Year-Old Boys: the title is part of the hook, especially in conjunction with the first thirteen lines.

2) 911-Backup and the first line make a hook:

quote:
There's a fine line between a tool and an addictive drug....

3) Keeping Track; the hook is in the first sentence:

quote:
The high priest facing the giant stone disk made a hasty
obeisance as a jaguar screamed in the distance, then turned
back to the circle of sub-priests who sat next to the
stonecutter.

It's subtle, but it's there.

4) With Diatomaceous Earth the hook is:

quote:
If asked what he
wanted to be remembered for after his death, he would have
said "A new cultivar" rather than "A molecular assembler." He
was well on the way toward the former, and showing
workmanlike progress toward the latter, when disaster struck.

5) BATTLEFIELD GAMES, the hook is in the title and:

quote:

I parted the camouflage netting covering my foxhole. The
talkative cruise missile hovered a few meters from my position. Ducking, I rolled to the monitors. The sensors I had
deployed across the river showed no advancing enemy.

The title is conclusively part of the hook.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited June 17, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Marzo
Member # 5495

- posted      Profile for Marzo   Email Marzo         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't disagree with InarticulateBabbler one bit.

I'd say that all of these do indeed have hooks, though they're hooks which a never-published writer submitting to a publisher that receives a lot of submissions might be nervous about offering. They're not explosively hook-y, but in every example, I found myself wanting to read on, at least a little further. They promise a story, though none made me grip the edge of my chair or anything.

I think the short fic market (and other markets, really) DO want character driven stories. But beginning writers are told that they need to focus on an explosive plot and a fantastic hook in order to get into the game. I'd say that's definitely true for "blockbuster" novelists, but other genres might have a bit more leeway.

Posts: 201 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

I think I see your point Inarticulate. That an explosive first 13 lines are not mutually inclusive with being a hook.

Marzo your post reiterates is also right on.

Posts: 514 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

- posted      Profile for DebbieKW   Email DebbieKW         Edit/Delete Post 
InarticulateBabbler points out the hooks quite well, so I won't repeat that. However, I think there is a misunderstanding about what a Character Driven short story and a Plot Driven story really are. I don't generally write shorts, but here's what I understand them to mean:

A plot driven story is primarily moved forward by something outside of your MC forcing him out of his normal routine. For example, a farmer who is overrun by a war. He has to change his life whether he wants to or not, and he'll get back to his normal life the second the outside stimulus is gone.

A character driven story is not a character study but a story primarily pushed forward by the character's personality or decisions. It's the farmer boy who's tired of farming a sets off to have an adventure.

Frankly, though, I think what the editors mean is that they want stories with interesting, three-dimensional characters rather than 'a really cool story' were the characters clearly only exist so that the story can be told. Get rid of the sterotypes and write living, breathing people with their quirks, strengths, weaknesses, and unexpected qualities.

Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
In a character story, the character is fundamentally changed through the story. He/she is not the same person that they are at the beginning when it gets to the end. This type of story is all about the character.

In an plot driven story (depending on whether it's a mystery or event), it's about characters in situations that have to be resolved for the story to end. The depth of character is less important than the event unfolding. These can be made better with in-depth characterization, but cardboard characters often succeed too.

Remember the M.I.C.E. (Milieu; Idea; Character; Event) quotient.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

LoL - "Remember the M.I.C.E. quotient" is getting to be a mantra, like V's ditty in V for Vendetta: "Remember, remember the Fifth of November; the Gunpowder Treason and plot..."

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited June 17, 2007).]

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Or, "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

Meanwhile, I need a better way to keep the I and E differentiated in my head from the MICE quotient. Milieu = basically a tour of the cool environment. Story starts when your protagonist gets there, ends when your protagonist leaves and/or decides to stay. Character story starts when the character is going to make a change. Ends when the change is complete.

Idea and Event stories I know have something to do with the world being not-quite right, and end when the world is back to a state of "rightness" - but beyond that, I can't remember how to differentiate (of course I can pull that book off the shelf again - but wanted to see if I was the only person with this problem.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Which book is it that you could pull off the shelf?
Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

OSC's Characters and Viewpoints. I think he also mentions it in How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy (I read both around the same time so they're munged together in my head.)
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Idea stories are like MYSTERIES and such. Event stories are like TITANIC.

And, Characters & Viewpoint is like an expansion of a section out of How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited June 18, 2007).]

DebbieKW
Member # 5058

Forgive me if it didn't come out clearly, InarticulateBabbler, but I was trying to say exactly what you did (about character vs plot driven stories) but in a non-standard way. (I'm a bit muzzy-headed again today, so I'm not even sure this is making any sense.) The point that I was trying to make is that character stories don't have to lack action, be slow, or be a character study (i.e. tell the reader about the character instead of showing it) to be a character-driven plot.

I've been critiquing an awful lot of short stories lately (through another group) and most of them have very flat characters--and the stories aren't James Bond or Sherlock Holmes types, either. I have great sympathy for editors who see hundreds of stories like this, thus my comment about three-dimensional characters.

Posts: 357 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
How much character can a writer put into, say, a two-thousand word joke story? How much should be put in? I don't think the reader needs to know too many nitpicking details about a character if the read will be over in a few minutes.

(Kinda a reaction to some comments I got when I passed a story around a few months back. Generally insightful comments. Not that I thought the story was great the way it was, but...well, I didn't think I needed to go into too much depth with them, especially with the story ending right before the POV character's death.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

DebbieKW, there's nothing to forgive. I was just buttin' in with my 2 cents worth.

And, Robert Nowall:

quote:

How much character can a writer put into, say, a two-thousand word joke story?[As much as you want, if you are not BOUND by the 2,000 word limit] How much should be put in?[I love how you ask the IMPORTANT rhetorical questions] I don't think the reader needs to know too many nitpicking details about a character if the read will be over in a few minutes.

DebbieKW
Member # 5058

Blah, shows what I get for trying to be coherent when my brain isn't functioning. Another point: I was assuming that a plot-driven and character-driven story was a slightly different thing than the M.I.C.E. stuff (i.e. character story, event story), though I did figure that they were related.

quote:
How much character can a writer put into, say, a two-thousand word joke story? How much should be put in? I don't think the reader needs to know too many nitpicking details about a character if the read will be over in a few minutes.

How much character should be put into a story, no matter how short? 100% How many details about the character should be put in a short? Only what's relevant to the plot. Character and a laundry list of details about a character are two different things.

For example:

I cringed when I heard the baby scream. I dragged myself out of the overstuffed recliner to see what was wrong this time. Fifteen lousy bucks wasn't near enough for babysitting Horrible Hillary.

vs.

The baby started crying again. I got up to see what was wrong. Sometimes babysitting just didn't seem worth it.

It's not just what is said, but how you say it that helps a reader get a sense of the MC and what makes him/her tick.

debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
i think Marzo has it right - the hook of any piece is the promise of a story. We try to entice the reader with our promise of a story in our first 13. Robert Heinlein seems to me to be a good example of a writer of character-driven stories - I remember every person that waltzed in and out of his tales - their likes and dislikes, their attitudes, their feelings, their changes. And the DaVinci Code guy is a good example of a writer of plot driven stories. It's all about the stuff. Heinlein had excellent STUFF, but it was all about how his characters used the stuff and thought about the stuff and felt about the stuff.
The reason i was attracted to OSC was because of the Alvin Maker series (which I still haven't read all of - live in a small town, and if it ain't at the library or the thrift store, I ain't readin' it). I'd finish a book and lay awake that night and wonder - what is alvin going to do next? Calvin? I empathized with Alvin's mom and dad when their son died, with his sister who had abilities that she hid from her husband. Those were the things that made the Alvin Maker stories for me. Those are the things that make the Heinlein stories for me. Michael Valentine's sense of wonder and delight in grokking grass. And yack yack yack. But, you know what I mean?

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

This is a taking debhoag's post and going even farther afield, but I have to say a litmus test I have used with people for a long while now is whether they grok the concept of grok. I was so excited when a guy I was working with on a volunteer project (technology-based, we were going to be working together for some time) used that word apporpriately.

Heinlein was a character master, now that you say it. He had plots out the yin-yang too, but I agree that his characters are fully-formed in my head. I will have to pull a few books off the shelf and look again to see how he did it. At the time it was really quite unconscious.

I was in love with Asimov at the same time I read everything Heinlein wrote, and it's funny now that I'm reflecting on it. I have a completely different view of Asimov's work than Heinlein's. I can't remember a *single* character from Asimov (other than the Robot, and the brilliant guy who set up the whole system for the Foundation series...can't remember their names though...) but I remember all kinds of details about their technologies. The way their clothes had magnetic-like clasps, the whole concept of predicting the future using 3-D graphics rendering via cubes and manipulatives...lots of stuff.

At any rate, interesting! Thanks for letting me tangent on the tangent.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a lot of characters from Asimov and Heinlein both...but because of what they were doing in the stories, not because of what went on in their lives before the opening scenes. Some stuff is filled in (for instance, we learn a great deal about the life history of Lije Baley, lead character of Asimov's "The Caves of Steel.")

In a novel you have room to play around like this. But in short stories, well...take DebbieKW's two examples. We learn that the main character / narrator is (apparently) a babysitter that isn't overly fond of babysitting. I'm assuming in the course of further narration we'll learn things like the character's age, sex, and appearance. Possibly we'll learn the why of this dislike.

But do we need to know everything about this character? Birthplace (complete with account of birth), school and school record, sex life or lack thereof, family tree, favorite color-flower-song-soda-etcetera? If it doesn't have a bearing on the events that will unfold, need it even be written down? What about other characters (Horrible Hillary and others) who will wander into and out of the events?

If the story is short, some things must be said, but something will have to give way. Compression is called for...and some things will have to be left unsaid...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
What editors say they want is not always what they really want. Editors say they want character driven stories because in college English classes they were told that the only important thing in a story was the characters. But they buy plot driven stories, because they know their readers want plot.

Pulp editors, who never went to college, told their writers that every character should be summed up in a single sentence. Maybe the greatest characterization in pulp fiction is this one: "I was wearing my powder blue suit, with a dark blue shirt, tie and display handkerchief, black brogues, black wool socks with dark blue clocks on them. I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it." There isn't a word of "characterization" there, but you feel that Philip Marlowe is somebody you've know all your life, and want to get to know better.

That said, in a short story, characterize against type. In one of todays 13 line entries, is a character who hates Mondays. Boring. How about: "Simon loved Mondays. Weekends were boring -- too many hours watching television. The thought of being back at work, back among people, quickened his step and put a smile on his face, as he walked toward the elevator."

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DebbieKW
Member # 5058

quote:
I'm assuming in the course of further narration we'll learn things like the character's age, sex, and appearance. Possibly we'll learn the why of this dislike.

What if I told you that, in this 1,000 word story (making that number up), that we learn the babysitter's sex, but are never told her exact age or her appearance? The age is implied through her vocabulary, concerns, etc., and her appearance is irrelevant to the story.

Thus my points: Make every word work double-time so that people get a mental image without having to be told things. Only tell character details that are necessary to the plot. Even novels don't contain complete biographic details on each character, so that isn't an excuse.

Many short stories authors seem to feel the crunch on words and so tell details instead of show them--"Zane was a cold-blooded soldier. He would even kill an enemy who had surrendered." vs. "The ranks began to break and some of the enemy soldiers threw down their weapons, but Zane cut them down anyway." Perhaps describe Zane's scars or fitness level, but you don't have to describe his hair color, eye color, birthplace, exact height, and weight, unless these things are necessary for the story to move forward.

My 2 cents, and the last two I'm spending on this topic.

debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
but in a short, "I was wearing my powder blue suit and socks with dark blue clocks on them. I was neat, clean, shaved and sober, and I didn't care who knew it." would have done it just fine. it's not the color of his shirt that sets the tone, but his attitude about being shaved and sober that gels the character.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
Since Matt Lust started this thread, this is probably a good place to quote the first 13 lines of Heinlein's Logic of Empire (in The Green Hills of Earth), as I said I would on the Fragments and Feedback for Short Stories thread.

"Don't be a sentimental fool, Sam!"
"Sentimental, or not," Jones persisted, "I know human slavery when I see it. That's what you've got on Venus."
Humphrey Wingate snorted. "That's utterly rediculous. The company's labor clients are employees, working under legal contracts, freely entered into."
Jones' eyebrows raised slightly. "So? What kind of a contract is it that throws a man into jail if he quits his job."
"That's not the case. Any client can quit his job on the usual two weeks notice -- I ought to know -- I --"
"Yes, I know," agreed Jones in a tired voice. "You're a lawyer. You know all about contracts. But the trouble with you, you dunderheaded fool, is that all you understand is legal phrases. Free contract -- nuts!"

This opening isn't as good as the opening of The Big Sleep, of course. Heinlein isn't Chandler. But the reader is hooked, because everybody loves to see a lawyer hoist by his own petard. Heinlein usually starts a story with a sympathetic character, but at this point in his career he was consciously trying new techniques.

But note: the story begins with conflict. It does not begin:

Humphry Wingate was bored with his trip to Venus. He yawned as he got out of bed that morning, applied his lipstick and picked out a stylish gold earring for his left ear. Another boring day, conversing with fools.

[This message has been edited by Rick Norwood (edited June 20, 2007).]

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matt Lust
Member # 3031

Yes but it also begins with dialogue which would also be a no-no in F&F.
Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

Help a newbie out here. What's F&F?

Since many very successful stories begin with dialog, it is hard to see why anyone would object to that. Here is Arthur C. Clarke's "The Nine Billion Names of God", one of the most famous sf stories of all time:

"This is a slightly unusual request," said Dr. Wagner, with what he hoped was commendable restraint.

Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

When I first read "Logic of Empire," I found it hard to tell which one was Jones and which one was Wingate in that opening---I was young and I think that collection, "The Green Hills of Earth," where I first read "Logic of Empire," was the first place I learned the difference between novels and short stories. One of Heinlein's chronic problem, from beginning to end, was writing dialog where you could tell who was talking. In later works he'd shift around the "I" of the story and utterly confuse the reader. (There were other wonders in Heinlein that kept me coming back.)

If the age of the character is implied through vocabulary and concerns and such, we have been told her age. A bold statement is usually not require, and usually not desireable. But in a thousand-word story---if one intends to stick to that length---every word would be important. If it was longer, maybe the character's appearance would be brought in.

I'm inclined to believe that if someone---say, an editor---says they want something, that we should take them at their word.

I think "F & F" stands for "Fragments and Feedback" in this context, but I might be wrong, and it might be some arcane writing term. The shorthand of Internet posting and text messaging are establishing new usages just about every day...

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

When here, yes, generally F & F is Fragments and Feedback.
KayTi
Member # 5137

I don't believe starting with dialogue is a no-no in F&F. I think there are a few regulars who are skeptical that starting with dialogue is a good idea, or have perhaps seen it done badly many times and are less open about it, but I wouldn't say it's a no-no. (She says, mentally counting her story openings posted in F&F and realizing that virtually all start with dialogue... LOL)

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

It's not whether or not you start out with dialogue that matters. If you're going to start with dialogue, make it:
  • Good dialogue
  • Engaging (You still need a hook)
  • Informative (A question like who, where, and when should be answer, and you should hint at the what, unless the speakers know -- in which case the readers should.)
  • Short tags. But, surround the dialogue with some narrative, so we get a full PoV.

Strictly speaking, it's not a rule that you can't, but there's perhaps MORE pressure to do it right.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited June 21, 2007).]

• Matt Lust
    Member # 3031

Well I was a bit too austere in my answer.

Everyone else filled the nitty gritty in.

I swear the last time I was here (ie the last time before the most recent hiatus I took from writing that ended about a month ago) someone was seriously thrashing dialogue openings and made a pretty convincing case that I'd sworn off dialogue openings.

Robert Nowall
    Member # 2764

Must've missed that discussion...seems to me I've seen some pretty dynamic openings that opened with dialog. To dredge up a memorable example from another early Heinlein story: "Put down that wrench!"
    Rick Norwood
    Member # 5604

I think from the examples we've see, a dialog opening has to begin with two people in conflict, not with just chit chat. Maybe it was chit chat openings:

"What do you want to do?"
    "I don't know, what do you want to do, Marty?"

that drew such objections earlier.

Poul Anderson said every story should open with something that evoked at least three of the five major senses.

A lot of good openings just establish time and place. Most of Shakespeare's plays open that way. Hamlet begins with an otherwise pointless bit of chit chat that establishes that it is 1) midnight 2) in the King's castle 3) in Denmark. In a short story, instead of using dialog, you would just write,

It was midnight in the castle of Denmark's king.

If you believe in Poul Anderson's dictum, you could begin

It was a cold midnight, and as the King's guard walked the battlements, his feet scraping on the frozen stones, he could see nothing but dark crenelation silhouetted against overcast sky.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
     - Printer-friendly view of this topic
    Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.