Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Repairman Jack?

Author Topic: Repairman Jack?
debhoag
Member # 5493

- posted      Profile for debhoag   Email debhoag         Edit/Delete Post 
I started reading a book by F. Paul Wilson, All the Rage. His credits prior to the start of the book make it sound suspiciously like he is in some kind of writer's group, and he mentions stories by other writers who are lending him some of the characters in this book. I would love to learn more about this. Anybody know?

[This message has been edited by debhoag (edited August 12, 2007).]

Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Not familiar with the book, alas...if it's not "RF." Paul Wilson, and is "F." Paul Wilson, he's been around awhile, in and out of the science fiction field, and went on to bestselling success. I remember reading some of his stuff in Analog back in the early seventies, back in the days when it was all new and impressive to me.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

yeah, don't know how that R got in there - this sounds like the guy. I did a little surfing after I posted, and found the repairman jack website. I guess he edited a book that was a collection of shorts on a traveling freak show. This is what I think i would like to get my hands on. It sounded way cool.
Posts: 1304 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HuntGod
Member # 2259

- posted      Profile for HuntGod           Edit/Delete Post 
The Repairman Jack books are ok, his best work was probably The Keep, which has a couple of sequels, though they are not as good as the first book.

He does end uip tying them all together.

Posts: 552 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
debhoag
Member # 5493

You know, the more i read, the more I think i like it when a writer's books all overlap a little. Stephen King does it a lot.
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Or even just little touches like how the statue of Hermes? inventing lyre which the main character in Mary Renault's THE LAST OF THE WINE is posing for in Athens during the Peleponesian wars, shows up in passing in the throne room of Philip of Macedon in her later novel about Alexander the Great, FIRE FROM HEAVEN.

[This message has been edited by arriki (edited August 13, 2007).]

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't vouch for the "mundane" writers...but a lot of SF writers will use a lot of background stuff from story-to-story, even if the stories cannot possibly be set in the same universe. A name for a "ray gun"...how they get around in faster-than-light travel...planet-bound transportation systems...planets with the same names...well, you get the idea. (I hope.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.