Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » 3:10 to Yuma, anybody seen it?

Author Topic: 3:10 to Yuma, anybody seen it?
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a place for discussing books, I know. But I just watched the movie and tried to imagine it as a screenplay and that it was on my desk and I was a producer. I would never have accepted the story. It didnt make sense. Not from any point of view I could think of. I have read at least a dozen stories from people who have posted here who had more interesting and better thought out plots. None of them published yet. Does anyone know how a story so poorly thought out can be accepted?

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Dunno if you are aware, but 3:10 to Yuma actually started out its life as an Elmore Leonard short story.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-Ten_to_Yuma

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm curious, what did you think was so terrible about it? I actually thought it was a good movie. It worked for me. I think the moment of realization for the Russel Crowe character was a bit too quick and subtle. Otherwise, I was there all along.

I read the short story, and it's quite different from the movie. But that's no surprise. Better to say "the movie inspired by the story..."

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't like 3:10 to Yuma either. I felt Christian Bayle's character was wishy-washy until the end, when he realistically should've been. I didn't believe the end at all (not wanting to spoil any elements for those who haven't seen it, but Christian Bayle's character has a major physical flaw that makes it less believeable--and he proves a terrible shot). I can't conceive that the short story wasn't better (I'm hoping it was).

Did anyone else notice that the antagonists were all excellent shots until they needed to be?

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Wolfe boy. I figured that there was a novel that it was based on, which is one of the reasons I brought it up. I have not read that novel and dont intend to. My point wasn't just to pick on a movie that I am sure many people liked.

I didn't understand why any of the characters did any of the things they did. Let me rephrase that so people dont just say that I must therefore be a moron: I didn't believe the reasons why they did these things were strong or even possible for a human to hold.

There seemed a great confusion for motives on a step by step basis. I want to know how this screen play was acceptable. Whatever the author/adaptor did to make such an unlikely story get purchased for such a big budget movie. Whatever it was I will definitely try it.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't think it was too bad. Maybe it is just because I hadn't seen a good Western in a while. The part when they were in the hostile indian territory was the biggest let down. All the getting away and comming back seemd far too contrived. I liked the end.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Original version or remake. I saw the original version---which was terrific---but not the remake.

I gotta say I never thought the bad guy could intimidate the guy taking him in that easy. The simple solution is if anything started happening around the two of them, the bad guy would be the first one to get it. (John Ford plotted "Rio Bravo" around this rebuttal thought.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
johnbrown
Member # 1467

- posted      Profile for johnbrown   Email johnbrown         Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with 3:10 the remake for me was belief and a massive let down at the end.

1. I simply couldn't believe they didn't hog tie the guy after he killed the first time. Dumb. Nobody would be so dumb. Sacrificing believablity for a forced plot. Bumped me out every time the dude did another nasty thing.

2. It was supposed to be showing the bad man turning into a half decent guy. But it's not telegraphed enough, not prepared enough for me to believe it at the end. Bad structure.

3. We're rooting for the hero and he becomes pathetic in the end. Pitiable. Instead of it being a triumph, it becomes a sham ending. I want to root for someone, not pity him. Bad structure caused this one.

Alas. I loved all the main characters in this one. A better Western for me is Open Range and Unforgiven.

Posts: 327 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Spoiler Alert

I thought it was one of the best damned movies I've seen in a long time! And I positively HATE westerns.

Our hero was a coward, as explained in dialog he was a civil war soldier who was shot by his own men as he tried to run away from the battle. He's had to live with his cowardice, and struggle with it, as demonstrated at the begining of the film when his barn is torched and he does nothing about it. And most of all he has difficulty respecting himself because his own son doesn't respect him, sees him for the coward that he is.

This opportunity to take Russell Crowe to the train, is a chance not just to get some money but to prove to himself, and his son, that he isn't a coward. Or, at least, he isn't anymore. It's about principle, it's about the need for self-respect. So, setting that example, he carries out what he believes is the right thing, argue with him or not, he thought it was. And he died for it. There is a dynamic to this character, and even though I wouldn't have taken him to the train, I still have to respect the change. It was beautiful.

They drive this point with his refusal to just take the $200 and walk away. Becaus ethat's what the government offered him for losing his leg. Gave him his $200 and stepped out of his life, after washing their hands and not caring. The same situation was about to happen, "Here's $200 for being a coward." Instead he found his courage and, with the promise that the wealthy dude would take care of his family, he was going to swallow his fear and just go for it.

Not bad, I say, not bad at all.

[This message has been edited by Doctor (edited April 18, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by Doctor (edited April 18, 2008).]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

I must admit, it sounds alot better the way you look at it Doc.
A real coming of manhood type story. I fail to see it that way, I would have enjoyed it more if I did. All I saw was a story where I couldnt believe the motivations of the characters.
Now I only saw the Crowe movie, not the original or the book, so maybe that is why we get a different perspective on it.

P.S. I love westerns. Weird huh?

Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, I only saw the Crowe movie as well, lol. But, like any art, some people can connect with it, others can't. I'm certain here is a film or novel out there which you find absolutely stunning, and I'd be bored and disappointed by it. Such is the fickle nature of our craft.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.