Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Twilight series

Author Topic: Twilight series
Kakichi
Member # 5814

- posted      Profile for Kakichi   Email Kakichi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey all, been a member here for a while, but been busy with school so haven't been able to check in much.

Now, my reason for posting today is thus: my girlfriend and several members of her family and friends are obsessed with this Twilight series by Stephanie Meyers. I'm generally a sci-fi/fantasy reader and accept love as a strong theme in just about any story. I've never read any true romance novels so I think this will be my first, if you can consider it that.

Now, I'm only two chapters in, having read it aloud with my GF, and she's all giddy, but as I read I just roll my eyes at the overdramatic-ness of the whole thing so far and the annoying and constant mention of how "beautiful" these vampire teens are that the main protagonist, Bella, falls for. Not only that, but Bella is narcissistic already and dumb and boring.

A nother thing I noticed that I thought was a general rule to avoid, but the author starts A LOT of sentences with "But...".

Anyone else have thoughts about the quality of this series?

Kakichi

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Never read it for the exact reasons you mentioned - nimrod of a main character, obsession with the beauty of the vampires, mucho-dramatico, and if I remember correctly (I'll have to look up an atricle I read somewhere) Ms. Meyers writes each scene with explicit, excruciating amounts of detail.

Ah, here is the article I mentioned.

I've thought about picking it up for my wife who enjoys reading bubblegum books (we got the final installment in the Travelling Pants series last weekend).

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
This probably technically belongs in published hooks/book section, I don't personally care if it stays here. Just warning you someone might yap at you before long.

I forced myself through the first book on the high recommendations of several people whose opinions I had, previously, respected. I did it. I finished it from cover to cover. Finding a few things I liked, and a plethora that I didn't.

The story sort of rolled forward without much foundation for any kind of real plot. The structure of the story is far better suited for TV than a novel, because it simply continues. With nothing really pulling the reader forward except some pubescent girl's masochistic hormonal obsession with some boy.

That's the full extent of it. Predictable, melodramatic, and, effectively, storyless to the extreme.

But my primary criticism, and I cannot emphasize this enough, is that the book encourages a false understanding of love, and is extremely chauvinistic. Our POV character, the girl Bella, is powerless throughout the entire story. She is led by the collar by this male who, like many men, uses "chivalry" and gentlemanliness as tools to manipulate and control her. Or as the book puts it (I'm told, in a later book) She "orbits around him," her very existence changes to match his when he's around. Everything is his way. And the book toss us back into the era of separate spheres bull**** to boot.

She is portrayed as weak, stupid, and vulnerable. The classical fainting would-be heroine. And of course the male figure is strong, perfect in every way, rich, and oh so charming.

Drivel and nonsense.

I wouldn't mind so much except that so many thousands of young, very impressionable, girls are eating them up obsessively. Girls are not only accepting Mrs. Meyers portrayal of women, they're believing it. The same goes for her portrayal of extreme, sexual infatuation as love.

It's really, really sad when you think about it. Really sad.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Writing Anne
Member # 7840

- posted      Profile for Writing Anne           Edit/Delete Post 
I read them all because I was extremely bored with my current conditions in life at the time. Extremely bored. I won't go into the details.
I thought Meyer was a genius in that she knew what to do to grab a teenage girl's attention and keep it (write shallow, sappy love story about forbidden love. Have guy be perfect and good looking while the girl is average, klutzy, very imperfect, but adored by guy in spite of all this. It's every teenage girl's dream relationship.) but I thought it was done in a cheap way. I think the post above mine really put it best. By the end of the third book, I wasn't just annoyed with the MC. I despised her and I despised how weak and stupid everyone seemed and how love was portrayed in such a vain, selfish, and shallow way. It was total infatuation between the characters.
I almost felt like the following books were written to just gain more income rather than to tell a story. I felt like Meyer grasped for some sensationalistic plot with each one simply so she could write a series and I felt like rather than focusing on the quality, depth, and character of the people she wrote about, they just ended up seeming silly and unbelievable. I find this sad because it could have been a great premise for a story.
All in all, I think she had/has potential but that she was published too soon and her story could have used much more editing. But who am I kidding? She's published with a few huge best sellers and movie deal. I'm still trying to finish my first novel.

[This message has been edited by Writing Anne (edited April 18, 2008).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
I bought Twilight and didn't get very far, though I'll finish it when I have more time. I love the premise and think Meyer has completely nailed her audience. Whether you like the books or not, she's delivering something that young female readers can't get enough of. (I saw someone wearing an "I'm Saving Myself for Edward" t-shirt today).

Oddly enough, I gave it to my 14-year old daughter who couldn't get into it either. She's more of a Sara Dessen, Kevin Brooks, Sara Zarr fan. The vampire thing just wasn't working for her.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I too have read all three books, though I make no excuse. I thought they were a fun read. Truly, several of the aspects of Bella and Edward's characters were annoying, and the quality of the writing is less than stellar. I agree with Writing Anne. The books were published too soon. I understand that Twilight was the very first novel Meyer had ever written, and it shows. However, I really don't think she wrote them to make an income.

As to Meyer's depiction of women, while I too dissaproved of Bella's spinelessness, her worship of Edward, and the fact that someone always had to save her, I think that there are worse depictions of women that "so many thousands of young, very impressionable, girls are eating them up obsessively."
The media is pervasive with images and characters that tell girls that they need to be sexually promiscuous, absolutely up to the minute fashionable, and wealthy to be worth anything. THAT is sad.

[This message has been edited by wrenbird (edited April 18, 2008).]

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

wrenbird, I agree completely.

The realization that Meyers chooses to depict women as frail and dependent in no way lessens the sick and sadistic portrayal of women as sex objects in our society. Nor is the reverse true.

But just because something worse exists doesn't make the lesser problem any kind of solution, or even okay on any level.

If someone slapped me in the face that's certainly not as bad as stabbing me with a knife (or a pineapple), but that doesn't mean it isn't wrong.

Now, I am deeply in the territory of my own opinion here, but Meyers' has legions of young girls, who, because of their age, are very impressionable. And she does communicate to them a false understanding of what love is. And she casts them into the eyes and shoes of a young girl who is weak and powerless. And unhealthfully obsessed. And they pay her to do it. They eat it up. They like it. And so, with them moving forward in their lives holding the assumptions that love is infatuation, and their role in life is revolve around some man, well, they're setting themselves up for heartbreak and, very likely, abuse. (I'm only trying to be realistic here.)

I am a firm believer in the modern, empowered, capable woman. It would be healthy for more such characters to materialize in our fiction and art to help get the idea across.

[This next section is not simply speculation, it's my own observation living in a variety of places along the rocky mountains.]

I will also add that Meyers is LDS and a significant population of her readers is LDS as well, say what you will about the LDS religion, I don't mean to dog on it. But it is known for, culturally, being very conservative and traditional. Many of these young girls are already taught that their primary--and perhaps only--ambition in life should be to get married, have babies, clean the house, and submit themselves to their husbands. "The man is the head of the family," kind of mantra.

So, reading and gobbling up literature that seems to perpetuate these ideas is quite clearly going to have a harmful effect, in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Doctor (edited April 19, 2008).]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

(( only--ambition in life should be to get married, have babies, clean the house ))

Hmmm. Doesn't the fact that Meyer is a national bestselling author, with a seven-figure book deal and a movie coming out sorta run contrary to that statement?

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 

______I will also add that Meyers is LDS and a significant population of her readers is LDS as well, say what you will about the LDS religion, I don't mean to dog on it. But it is known for, culturally, being very conservative and traditional. Many of these young girls are already taught that their primary--and perhaps only--ambition in life should be to get married, have babies, clean the house, and submit themselves to their husbands. "The man is the head of the family," kind of mantra.
______

Bah. Doctor. I respectfully disagree.

First off, Bella, in choosing to be with Edward, has to give up having children. I have read all three books and I enjoyed them. Bella is dumb, I totally agree, however never in the novel is it argued that she should submit to her husband.

Second off, who says that getting married and having children is a bad thing and teaching young girls that is bad.

Thirdly, I am a raised LDS woman, and I was never taught that woman shouldn't have a voice, or that my only ambition in life is to submit myself to my husband.

And lastly, if you feel that LDS authors are harming their readers, maybe you should check OSC's bio.

Honestly, Twilight is not Shakespear but it is a harmless entertaining read. The writing is not uberpolished, but the story is compelling and it's a definite page turner.
I only hope to be half as successful as Ms. Meyers.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

I'll agree with shimiqua and Jamie... that's an awful big brush you're painting with there Doctor. Also, I took a fair bit of humor in the fact that your arguments that Twilight is too conservative sound an awful lot like the comments made by conservatives about Harry Potter - namely, that the books our children read will bend them to world-views different from the speaker's chosen one. It's nice to know that our daughters are growing up in such a polarized world - they'll either be barefoot and pregnant in the kitchen, or out practicing witchcraft and casting spells, depending on which book was available at the public library on an particular day they happen to go in looking for some entertainment.

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited April 19, 2008).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Writing Anne
Member # 7840

- posted      Profile for Writing Anne           Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to clarify a statement I made in my original comment. I don't think the first book was made to generate an income. I believe she was truly inspired with the first story (hence the second part of my comment about the story having a great premise) but I did feel that the second and third books were very sloppily thrown together because the first was such a hit. She may have worked very hard on them, but that was the feeling I came away with.
As far as the comment about LDS women being taught by Bella's character to just get married and have babies (sorry if I'm paraphrasing. I didn't quote directly), I too have to respectfully disagree. As an LDS woman who has chosen to get married and stay at home and have babies (while writing and maintaining a photography business on the side), I didn't feel that the books promoted such an idea at all. I felt that Bella was a weak personality who I didn't respect, however, she fought against the idea of being married throughout the course of the story. Also, I don't think that getting married or having babies while staying home is a bad thing in any way. As an LDS woman, I have never been taught to be weak, subservient, or unable to take care of myself (like Bella was) and I have never been told that my only job was to get married and have kids. One of the reasons my husband wanted to marry me was because he felt I was such a strong personality and because of my ambitions.
I wanted to add that I agree that Meyer nailed her audience. Like I stated earlier, she knew she was writing to teenage girls and after my husband and I finished the books together, we both agreed that she knew the kinds of emotions the average teenage girl would want to experience while reading a novel. I may have not agreed with her way of going about it and strongly disapproved of her characterization, but I think she knew exactly what she was doing. As a teenage girl, I would have eaten it up. As an adult, it just annoyed me.
That being said, I have to admit that Meyer's story (and how she came up with the idea) got me writing again. Although her books bothered me in many ways, the fact that she went ahead and wrote until she was finished with the first and the fact that she was successful made me realize that I was wasting time not writing and that I had many great ideas I should be finally putting on paper. I at least have THAT to thank her for.

[This message has been edited by Writing Anne (edited April 19, 2008).]

Posts: 10 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

Well, I'm going to try to not fight the point too much more, since, well, I should have realized I'd be opening up a bag of worms. Unfortunately I feel like my arguments, by the third or fourth attack, have been horribly contorted into wholly new creatures.

So let me clarify.

The LDS culture encourages men to be the breadwinner and the final say. That is not up for dispute. Whether it's doctrine of the church or a byproduct of something else, this really is a clear observation made not only by me but several others. I happen to not agree with it.

From that point I made the suggestion that, perhaps, young women raised to think such things, might not think twice when they're reading about a character who literally (even in the own words of the author herself) orbits around some guy. He always gets his way. He always saves her, and takes care of her, she is completely, by the end of it, dependent on him.

In a culture that values the dependence of women on men, this can only reinforce those ideas.

My suggestion was, and is, that these young girls would probably have better balance if they were being exposed to the other side of the picture. That women, in fact, can be just as capable as men in probably any field. That a woman could have the final say. Or be expected to come up with the best idea, just as easily and as often as a man.

There is nothing heroic about Bella whatsoever, she lacks power to act within her own story. She is weak, stupid, infatuated, and hopelessly dependent on some boy. He is her whole life and everything she values in it. More than herself, more than her family, even more than her own existence; college, etc. He is her everything and what they share is not love by any means.

And then we have young girls who are predisposed to be vulnerable to these ideas reading and gobbling up these books without a second thought to challenge them, slipping nicely into the their "role." It's not healthy. That is obvious to me.

Sorry to sidetrack you all with the "raising babies" comment which, admittedly, may have been more distracting than anything. Since it had everyone so up in arms that nobody here seemed to try to chase after what I meant, or why I said it.

Which brings us to an interesting topic. What social responsibilities do writers have if any? IS someone willing to publish what you write enough to justify the writing of it?

Now to address a few people who addressed me directly.

Jamie Ford, "Hmmm. Doesn't the fact that Meyer is a national bestselling author, with a seven-figure book deal and a movie coming out sorta run contrary to that statement?"

Frankly, no. I think what I meant by that statement and what you took from it have diverged. I meant that her audience, regardless of her own background and beliefs, happen to be significantly if not mostly young LDS girls. A lot of young LDS girls are raised to believe such things as I listed. These girls are going to identify with Bella, and not Meyers, and they will model themselves after Bella, who worships this Edward, far more than they will after Meyers. And incidentally, according to what I have read from her own site, Meyers only published her story based on the peer pressure of her sister and had never intended/felt-the-ambition to become a writer before. And her life up to that point nicely fir the mold I described before. So, frankly, to answer your question, no.

Jayson,

You yourself admitted you have not read any of the books. So... I feel like you're here to argue for the sake of arguing. And I feel like it might be most appropriate for you to dismiss yourself from this part of our dialog.

shimiqua,

I understand your view. And I really didn't mean to rag on you or your culture, and I admit that I have thrown a lot of people all into the same bag. But I also know that I have had a lot of experience with some very LDS communities, in cities that have been almost completely LDS, certainly a majority of people. I have worked with the young people, I have attended various events and lectures, and I am absolutely confident that at least in some places along the rocky mountains, Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, and Colorado, these teachings do exist. I've heard them a thousand times. And I have seen them with my own eyes. Probably the extent is much smaller elsewhere in the country and world. But form my limited exposure the trend is absolute. And that was all I'm pointing out, is for these specific cases.

WritingAnne, "As far as the comment about LDS women being taught by Bella's character to just get married and have babies"

That isn't what I said, and it certainly isn't what I meant. See above.

[This message has been edited by Doctor (edited April 20, 2008).]

JamieFord
Member # 3112

(her audience, regardless of her own background and beliefs, happen to be significantly if not mostly young LDS girls)

And how exactly did you determine this?

Doctor
Member # 7736

Well from my own observations, and since I'm regularly living among thoroughly LDS communities that might bias it a bit. Which is why I said a "significant" amount and not necessarily a "majority." I can't say that it's a majority, and it very likely isn't. But enough people who happen to be young LDS girls like her books, enough to be considered significant. I've encountered them (quite literally) by the thousands.
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Doctor,

I don't believe my comment directed at you was commenting onTwilight, but on your post. Having read that, I believe I am entitled to comment.

Of course, if you wish, I'll play along and bow out. I'm sure those you have deigned worthy to talk to will fill in admirably.

Jayson Merryfield

JamieFord
Member # 3112

((Which is why I said a "significant" amount and not necessarily a "majority." I can't say that it's a majority, and it very likely isn't.))

Actually, what you said was: "her audience, regardless of her own background and beliefs, happen to be significantly if not MOSTLY young LDS girls".

Your words, not mine.

I honestly don't think the LDS thing has that much to do with it. Her books are national bestsellers, not just Utah bestsellers.

Doctor
Member # 7736

Jamie, you seem to have caught me mincing my words. So, congratulations. But you're focusing very intently and microscopically on small details in a few of my comments. But you're not addressing the big picture.

Which is that I think it's unhealthy in general, and towards those readers who happen to be young LDS girls in particular. Whether it's 5% or 50% that is irrelevant, in this case any number >0% is significant.

But to continue your point, Jamie, I think that's an interesting idea to explore.

Suppose the readers were more interested in modeling themselves after Meyers and not Bella, what then. Does Meyers obvious success destroy the point I made above? I'm not so sure that it does.

For, how I see it, success and ambition are not the exact same thing. I believe there's a positive correlation, where there is more of one there usually more of the other as well. But there are instances where this is not the case.

For example some people are born so beautiful, and so talented, and into situations that force opportunities onto them, ones they might have otherwise considered chasing after, that they cannot help but be successful.

While others have the game of life sickeningly stacked against them. I don't know how many poor kids in the urban ghetto, who spend hours playing streetball with their friends, trying to escape the reality that their dad's in jail, their mom's a junkie, and they're going to lose their apartment. So far away from opportunity, and so hidden. But perhaps in these circumstances, where nobody could find them, some of the greatest basketball talents were born and passed away. Probably someone more talented than Michael Jordan went undiscovered, and nobody knew about it.

I'm not sure that I'm still on the subject anymore, I might have drifted too far off. But I guess my point is that just because Meyers has found her way into success, it doesn't necessarily mean it was because of serious ambition, a flare for independence, or even that she had to struggle very hard to get there.

She woke up one night after having a vivid dream. And with a stroke of genius, not wanting to lose that moment of inspiration, she told her story, fast as she could type. And only a few months later she was a bestseller.

She happened to think of an idea that was fresh enough, and appealing enough, to sell, and find an agent and publisher who could recognize that. I don't want to steal anything away from that, she is owed respect for it. She thought of it, she did it. But I still feel like there is a lot of luck working on her behalf, at least, a lot more so than lifelong ambition.

[This message has been edited by Doctor (edited April 20, 2008).]

Doctor
Member # 7736

Jayson,

Ah, I see that you are correct. I apologize. And please, feel free to participate. I misread your comment.

JamieFord
Member # 3112

( Which is that I think it's unhealthy in general, and towards those readers who happen to be young LDS girls in particular. Whether it's 5% or 50% that is irrelevant, in this case any number >0% is significant. )

Dude, your religious bigotry is showing. You're entitled to your opinions, but just say it. Why waste energy turning on the fog machine...

Doctor
Member # 7736

I'm not a religious bigot. I am LDS, but that doesn't mean I'm not entitled to make observations that have proven to be glaringly obvious. Maybe these trends aren't the case away from the "heartland," but anyone who can't see them living where I have lived, member or not, is completely ignorant.
JamieFord
Member # 3112

Had me fooled.
Doctor
Member # 7736

Yeah yeah let's pop in with a witty zinger and then just disappear. That's a really useful contribution to the topic. Well the jerk store called and said they're running out of you!

OK Kathleen go ahead and shut down this topic, we've clearly destroyed it's original purpose and nobody seems to be interested in giving my thoughts a fair hearing. Probably a result of my inadequacies as a writer, I lack the ability to express very clearly what I mean. So, may as well shut this one down before I develop bad feelings for Jamie...

Kakichi
Member # 5814

- posted      Profile for Kakichi   Email Kakichi         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, great responses! I admit I haven't been able to check in on this thread since Friday when I posted it, but I'm glad I got some constructive feedback and sparked quite and interesting debate.

Let me add to my original statement, my GF is raised and technically LDS, still young but not really fully practicing. She and all her full on LDS friends are super-in love with this series and I'm kinda glad someone else brought up the whole religious aspect of these books. I'm glad someone also mentioned that it was a harmless shallow series and also one that was was quite terrible and should probably depict girls in those teenage years better than they do.

I'll continue to read the story, because as a writer, like all of us here, it is sometimes condusive to read the bad and the good so that you know what to avoid in your own writing and how to improve upon a winning formula and audience-grabbing series.

Thanks for such a fun thread, I had no idea it would garner such a response.

Kakichi

Posts: 52 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

Doctor, I see your point. I really do. However, I find myself agreeing more with Kakichi. The series, and Meyer's depiction of Bella, however flawed, is harmless.

Even if the LDS girls that are raised with the ideas you suggest (and I'm not saying they're not) read Twilight, I still don't see how that can really and truly indocrtinate anyone with the "assumptions that love is infatuation, and their role in life is revolve around some man" thereby "setting themselves up for heartbreak and, very likely, abuse."

While I definitely acknowledge the power a novel can have, perhaps I have more confidence in the youth of America. A girl who is reading a book for pleasure has to have at least some shred of intelligence. She can surely seperate fiction from reality. Don't you think? Meyer's writing is not so subtle as to have any real mind altering power. It's just a fun read.

Also, to somewhat take you up on the discussion of the social responsibility of a writer, I think that one has be very careful as to what that might mean. Does it mean that we should restrict ourselves to portray characters that exude only of the approved social values? Who picks those values?

Bella is flawed. Her flaws are unattractive, flaws that I personally dissaprove of, but I think Meyer is entitled to portray her that way. And, in the end, I don't think that it makes much of a difference. I would wager that most girls who read Twilight can see those flaws, and while they may still be gaga for the book, that doesn't mean they've said "I love Twilight, I am going to be EXACTLY like Bella." And even if a small number do make that determination, it won't last long. I was a teenage girl once. They change their personas like the wind. When the next big fad hits, they'll reinvent themselves all over again.

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

Well I suppose, wrenbird, when you put it like that I can't really blame Twilight for changing their behavior, fair enough. but I'm more bothered that it reinforces a set of existing ideas rather than alters someone to think of them.

You would be very surprised how many girls I've met and gotten to know over the many years who would freely admit to me that they expected to never finish college, get married, rely on their husband for support, and simply raise his children. That is a very dependent mentality. And while, if someone objectively chooses this path I suppose that is all right, but the key problem here, as I see it, are the many sunday school sessions and seminary classes taught by "regular folks" who love to perpetuate the myth that the woman's role is "in the home," and that she isn't fulfilling her god-given duties should her ambitions lead her elsewhere. This really bothers me, and it always has.

Bella is a character who fits this mold. She wants to drop her family, her career opportunities, her college education, everything she should hold dear, drop it all on a whim to be with this idiot Edward who stalks her, spies on her, and manipulates her. All for what? Because he happens to be good looking and rich, and because he happens to resist the urge to eat her? It's all very much like a rape analogy.

What bothers me, wrenbird, is seeing these girls attending seminary classes that indoctrinate them to depend on men, and then they read these books, and I see them walking around with "I'm saving myself for Edward" shirts...

I find that alarming. Maybe you don't. But you should try living here, you may change your view.

JamieFord
Member # 3112

My guess is that the girls who eat these books up--do so because they love Edward. Not because they recognize their dogmatized weakling selves in Bella.

[This message has been edited by JamieFord (edited April 21, 2008).]

Doctor
Member # 7736

Well since he isn't a real person what is it they love about him? His manipulation? his creepy-ass stalker nature? His ability to be dominant and alpha?
JamieFord
Member # 3112

Why take my word for it? Why don't you take a look at the 1,100 5-star reviews on Amazon and read for yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/review/product/0316015849/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_5?%5Fencoding=UTF8&filterBy=addFiveStar

I'm done. Pax.

wrenbird
Member # 3245

Come on now, Doctor. He isn't THAT bad. I'll grant you that I probably wouldn't date a guy like Edward, were he real. And frankly, it surprises me how so many of the girls are madly in love with him. I agree with Jaime, he's the reason these girls love these books. One peek into the Books/Authors section of YahooAnswers confirmed that to me. 85% of the screen names there had "Cullen" somewhere in them.
However, with a character like him (with any character for that matter) traits and behaviors can be interpreted to sound either flattering or defamatory. You call him a controller, someone else could make just as convising an argument that he is merely protective. You say stalker, they say devoted admirer.
To quote Hamlet, "words, words, words." It's all so subjective.

shimiqua
Member # 7760

I just finished Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See,
Doctor, I suggest you check it out.
That book is about women who are taught since infancy that they are worthless, and their only place is in the home.
Twilight, however does not argue that case. In the later books it argues a much different case, and Meyers mentions a lot that Bella's infatuation with Edward is unhealthy.
I suggest you read Snow Flower, and then the last two books of the series, before argueing that case more.

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited April 21, 2008).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

And those fool girls love Edward cause he's good looking, and nice.
I suggest, there are as many boys who are infatuated with some half dressed floozy poster.
No, it's probably not healthy for them either, but the double standard is kinda sad, eh?

Doctor
Member # 7736

Wrenbird,

"Devoted Admirer" ... ha! If someone (without your knowledge and permission) was forcing entry into your house every night to watch you sleep, is that what you'd call him?

"Yeah, Sarge, we have another case of breaking and entering at 131 Winston Drive," the dispatcher said.

"Don't worry about it," Wiggim said. "I'm sure it's just another devoted admirer."

I see your point, but I simply cannot empathize with the alternate view. If he existed in real life he'd be a creepy bastard and he should have a restraining order slapped on his ass.

Jamie,
Pax?

Here's something you all might want to check out if you're going to be throwing links at me.

http://apaperbackwriter.blogspot.com/2007/08/twilight-and-eclipse-of-women-why-i.html

wrenbird
Member # 3245

quote:
"Don't worry about it," Wiggim said. "I'm sure it's just another devoted admirer."

lol touche

Here's the thing though, Bella wants him there. How can he be a stalker if she wants him there? To my recollection, she asks him, repeatedly, to stay. (Granted, it's been a while since I read them.)
You see, and I know I am treading into a tricky territory here, but I think many girls fantasize about a guy being so smitten with her that he did what some would equate with mild stalking PROVIDED that she was smitted with him as well. That is a huge caveat, she has to really like him as well. Obviously, many a sick man has twisted this. And that is why, I think a guy shouldn't act that way.
BUT, in a perfectly safe world, such as a novel, it can be romantic. To imagine that a guy would love you that much, it's flattering. Think about My Fair Lady.
"Just to be on the street where you live."
The love song, sung by that guy, Freddie, who stands outside Eliza's house. I am willing to guess that a majority of women think that's romantic. But, you could very easily say "creepy, he's a stalker."

I want to emphasize, that it works in a "wish fufillment" fiction world, but really doesn't work in reality. It's like Communism. Good on paper, really really bad in practise.

Doctor
Member # 7736

touche, touche,

I'll give you that. But do read that post I linked above, I think it better expresses my thoughts than I am able. Read it, if for nothing else than food for thought.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read them and will probably read the others as they come out.

(And Doctor is right, I'm going to move this to the correct discussion area, but I certainly don't consider my doing so to be "yapping" at anyone.)

I suspect that part of Edward's appeal to young girls is that his love is strong enough to keep him from "eating" Bella.

I know there are those who are appalled by this idea, because it works as a metaphor for trusting a guy in a hormone-charged situation to keep from "losing control" and "going too far," and because it seems to encourage said young girls to not worry about letting themselves get into such situations because they just know that their boyfriends really love them and "wouldn't do that" to them.

I will refrain from commenting on what I think of any of the above (partly because of the way responsibility is implied in it). I merely offer it as one more objection I have heard of in regard to the books.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NicerSimon
Member # 7893

- posted      Profile for NicerSimon   Email NicerSimon         Edit/Delete Post 
I have read all three books and found them to be difficult to read, only because the main character was so annoying that I struggled. I did it because my wife was reading them and we enjoy discussing books. That's my excuse anyways.

I agree with the Doctor but feel I must add something. The same as with video games, I do not believe that these books will automatically turn girls into obsessive, hormone driven girlfriends of creepy boys. If they already have that tendency, will it further their incorrect beliefs? Most likely. But if you can't see that Bella's behavior is destructive and unhealthy, then there is something wrong with you already. I hope that the end result is that Bella grows up a bit and that true love is what evolves. But even if it doesn't happen, I feel that it would be the parents responsiblity to know and understand what their child is reading and then take the time to discuss what is right and what is wrong with them.

The sad part is that there are parents who will not do this, so some girls will continue on in their belief that Bella and Edward represent what they should expect in a relationship, which would be very sad. Its situational. I grew up playing hyper violent video games. Still do, yet I am not a violent person, but I have seen children develop their already violent tendencies through them. All a matter of situation.

[This message has been edited by NicerSimon (edited April 23, 2008).]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NicerSimon
Member # 7893

- posted      Profile for NicerSimon   Email NicerSimon         Edit/Delete Post 
P.S. I am also LDS and my mother hates these books for the same reasons you do, Doctor.

[This message has been edited by NicerSimon (edited April 23, 2008).]

Posts: 18 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

You have a good Mum.
seacat
Member # 7957

- posted      Profile for seacat   Email seacat         Edit/Delete Post 
There's so much discussion here that I am boggled, but wanted to make a couple of points.

I agree with a lot of what is being said, but I do believe that these books should be judged within the context of the genre. They are first and foremost, romance novels. If you read any romance novels they all have the same formula. They are written in the Disney Snow White Princess fairy tale formula; helpless female saved by her prince. Now, within this genre, the Twilight books aren't too bad. They get kids to read. These books inspired my daughter to write her own vampire novel, albeit not as romantic as the Twilight series. In addition, instead of projectinga fantasy onto some jerky adolescent boy, she's put off real boys for fictional characters, and this only serves to stimulate her writing. We have many many discussions about boys and appropriate relationships, and I know she will make the right choices, and not fall into the obsession trap, as I see so many of her friends do who are not Stephenie Meyer fans. I do believe that these books are no less harmful than the Disney movies or all the romance novels that are out there in the world. If you communicate with your child, and your child has a brain, I think she can discern between reality and fiction.

Personally, I hated Bella. She's an idiot! And Edward is a two-dimensional character. I hate him even more! What a phony! Besides, he's dead! The books only get worse as the series continues. But I was never one for romance novels, and they are probably the best of the bunch.

Posts: 52 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

Apparently there is a film coming out. But, like the book or not, it really doesn't lend itself well to be a movie. The plot is this girl, in high school, and the "story" just sort of rolls forward, day after day, revealing her progressive obsession with this boy. Then at the end a "conflict" pops up out of nowhere with no establishment, so it's a pretty poor climax, and at the most climactic moment the pov character is asleep and the reader misses it altogether. The end.

Movies are very visually interesting and this book is a collection of the mental ramblings of a socially retarded high-school girl. You just can't translate it to film that easily. At least, I can think of no way to do it.

seacat
Member # 7957

- posted      Profile for seacat   Email seacat         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you, Doctor, up to page 419, the book deals with obsession. I was just about to put it down at that page, when Bella and her vampire group met some other vampires. Then the story shifted into an action/suspense/thriller. I got the feeling from reading the second two books in the trilogy, that Bella's obsession was a set-up for what was to follow. It will be interesting (yawn), to see how the movie handles it. Unfortunately, I am sure I will be dragged to the movie.

I love your term "socially retarded". You should use that in one of your stories.

Posts: 52 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.