Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » And the ball hooks way out into left field!

Author Topic: And the ball hooks way out into left field!
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else ever have this happen when reading a series?

I've been enjoying Jane Lyndscold's Firekeeper series when she changed one of the major characters drastically. Lyndscold also gets way too much into world building to the point that she's left her characters in the dust. I was so discouraged about this that I just recently traded the entire series off at my favorite used book store. What she's done to the series has completely turned me off of it. I do wonder, though, because of the way the last book ends, if that last book was the end of the series.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AlizarinFire
Member # 7303

- posted      Profile for AlizarinFire   Email AlizarinFire         Edit/Delete Post 
I was liking the series until she continued the awful trend of having the characters think about what they were going to do, tell another character what they were going to do, actually do it, and then recount what they did to another character. The redundancy was driving me crazy.

Out of curiosity, which character were you referring to? I thought she did an excellent job with Firekeeper in the first book but she started to have her actions dictated by the setting in the second book.

Posts: 15 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Derian. In, I think it was, WOLF HUNTING a disease (curse?) changes his features into that of a horse. It really turned me off. I've had horses for the better part of my life, and I love them dearly, but there's no way that I'd ever want to be a horse. His mannerisms and senses such as smell, hearing, etc. are those of a horse, too. I liked him much better the way he was.

In the last book, Lyndscold spent several pages defining a new society. It was like reading a documentary.

I really liked how this series started. It had so many possibilities. What a shame that it's gone so drastically down hill... at least for me.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.