Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Mars

Author Topic: Mars
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm just about to finish Kim Stanley Robinson's "Green Mars" and will be reading "Blue Mars" afterwards. Anybody read this series? Despite it being "hard" science fiction, and him going quite technical at times, I'm rather enjoying.

I haven't read much else by KSR (Only "Years of Rice and Salt") so I'm open to suggestions for other good KSR stories.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

Nobody has read these?
Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first saw this post, I thought it was about Ben Bova's Mars, which I liked very much.

But no, I haven't read the books you're referring to.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
I completed Red Mars and started Green Mars years ago. The technical elements were what carried me that far. I quit because I'd started to despise the characters for reasons I've either forgotten or never understood.

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited February 26, 2009).]

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

I could see why... most of them fall in "shades of grey" and there aren't too many "good guys."

KSR sure knows his geology though .

phillowe
Member # 8598

- posted      Profile for phillowe   Email phillowe         Edit/Delete Post 
Mars exploration/colonization is one of my favorite subjects in sci/fi. I thoroughly enjoyed these books. I think I read them all inside two weeks (though I haven't read the book of shorts set in the same universe). The great part about the series was the broad, and well researched, information. There really was something for everyone.

I got a little lost/bored with the chapters that went really deep into pschology, but the other technical stuff sucked me in.

I have "Years of Rice and Salt" but haven't had a chance to finish it. I started, got interupted by an apartment move. I need to restart and finish. I think the majority of his other work is climate change related.

Posts: 17 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.