Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » J. G. Ballard: RIP

Author Topic: J. G. Ballard: RIP
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you may have heard of J. G. Ballard---the guy who wrote Empire of the Sun the autobiographical novel about his experiences in and around World War Two as a prisoner of the Japanese, later made into a movie.

What the brief obits didn't mention was his prior career as a science fiction writer---his high literary standards as part of the "New Wave" of the 1960s and the problems he encountered therein.

Good stuff...but Empire of the Sun was the book he should have written much sooner.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely.

Seems that we're losing some of the best writers in the last few years,

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
As a more general overview...nearly all the science fiction writers I like are now deceased, and I haven't embraced most of the newcomers in the same way I embraced their predecessors.

Ballard was never one of those---too "literary" for my tastes at the time---but a lot of his stuff (or what I read of it) was pretty powerful. The title of one---I won't repeat it here because it contains an obscenity---has haunted me for years though I've never seen the story itself.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kaz
Member # 7968

- posted      Profile for Kaz   Email Kaz         Edit/Delete Post 
I read it The Empire of the Rising Sun, but so long ago I honestly remember little of it. I should probably reread it sometime along with more of Ballard's work.
Posts: 72 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.