Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » District 9

Author Topic: District 9
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Good movie. Check it out.

ETA: Removed a couple of lines.

[This message has been edited by rich (edited August 16, 2009).]

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
It's new enough that any discussion should include SPOILER WARNINGS.

Thank you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

Oops. Should I have said something? I didn't think I was giving anything away, but apologies.
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I regret none of the reviews of it I've seen see fit to mention "Alien Nation"---which, near as I can tell, has the exact same plot.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoyed it, thought it was really well done. My only hang up would be the blood-splattering moments, not super-gory, but seemed a bit excessive for my tastes. Those moments reminded me of Starship Troopers (the movie, not the book), which I didn't care for.
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

quote:
...Starship Troopers (the movie, not the book), which I didn't care for

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat?? Oh, come on. It had Doogie Howser dressed as a Nazi!! What's not to love about it?

signed,
One Who Enjoyed Starship Troopers, and Stoically Withstanding the Rational Ridicule of Those That Didn't Care For It,
Rich

(Seriously, Jamie, a friend and I still get into good-natured arguments over the movie, and he STILL insists I owe him money for the ticket to that flick.)

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, rich. I wasn't saying that you had spoiled anything or that you need to edit or add SPOILER WARNING to your post. I just wanted to remind people who posted after you to be careful.

Apologies for the misunderstanding.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, I also enjoyed Starship Troopers. Verhoeven, the director, is a social satirist, especially in his sci-fi flicks. Most people don't realize it when he's using over-the-top scenes to comment on society.

Very few people got it when in Robocop Verhoeven named his super "law" enforcer "Murphy".

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't much care for Starship Troopers (the book), but heard a lot of bad things about Starship Troopers (the movie) from Heinlein fans and political commentators.

I don't know how much movie reviewers pick up on things like the Nazi party rally references in movies like Star Wars and The Lion King.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

KDW - no problem.

Philocinemas - Agreed.

Robert - I wasn't a big fan of the book, but you should check out the movie version. It'll surprise you, I think. Having said that, though my friend I mentioned before got the satire, he still didn't like it.

"Why?"

"Too over the top."

"But that's the point."

"Yeah, but it was stupid. Just seeing them shoot things. Why didn't they just bomb those bugs from the spaceships?"

"THAT was the point. Jingoistic, rah-rah moments in a fascist society that-"

"I didn't like it."

"But you said you liked satire, and this was a prime example of satire."

"I didn't like it. And you owe me $9.00."

And then name calling and threats are issued until we decide where we're going for lunch.

Apologies for being way off-topic here. Go see District 9.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.