Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » WoT Movie?

Author Topic: WoT Movie?
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

- posted      Profile for TrishaH24   Email TrishaH24         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone just brought this up the other day and I thought I'd see if there was any news yet: In 2008 Universal bought the rights to make Wheel of Time into a series of movies. I was just curious if there was any news about this. IMDB doesn't have anything, and I couldn't turn anything up on Google. Anyone know what's going on?
Posts: 184 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Options to make movies from books are purchased over and over again (options have time limits on them, so if a movie maker doesn't make the movie in a certain amount of time, the author can sell the option to someone else).

Unless it's announced that a movie is "in production," I wouldn't pay much attention.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
Wheel of Time movie? How is that even possible? I can see maybe a TV series, but I don't see how they can cram everything into a movie or even ten.

I just started the latest book in this series. I was hoping that Brandon Sanderson would pick up the pace a little, but it is as slow moving as the others so far. Eighty pages in and nothing has really happened.

[This message has been edited by MAP (edited May 19, 2010).]

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

- posted      Profile for TrishaH24   Email TrishaH24         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no clue how they'd make it a movie. But I was talking to a friend of mine and he's convinced they're working on it. I remember hearing that it was purchased, but I never heard anything else.

I stopped reading in the middle of book 7. I just couldn't take it anymore. I'm hoping my drive will pick back up one day and I'll finish the series, but not right now. As far as a movie would go, I'd see it, if for no other reason than to see exactly how they made it work. (I'm pretty sure they would HAVE to do installments.)

Posts: 184 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it was book 9 when I gave up. I realized I didn't care any more. At some point, it would have been a relief for Rand to go crazy and destroy the world. At least it would be over.

I really don't see how they could possibly make a movie or even a series of movies a la Harry Potter out of this. There'd have to be a dozen movies with no real ending, nothing resolved. Who wants to see that?

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guess
Member # 9085

- posted      Profile for guess           Edit/Delete Post 
This is the 2nd time WoT has been optioned. Brandon Sanderson said on his blog that it is a 50/50 shot for a WoT movie. Alot of it probably depends on how good the script is.
Posts: 14 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up on WoT somehere around book 7 or 8 and am going to wait until it's all said and done before picking it back up.
Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.