Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Eye of the World

Author Topic: Eye of the World
rcorporon
Member # 2879

- posted      Profile for rcorporon   Email rcorporon         Edit/Delete Post 
With the release of the final WoT book due out in 2012, I figured 2011 would be the perfect time for me to re-read the series (I had read it in university, up to about book 7 or 8 and stopped).

I'm about 1/2 way through Eye of the World right now, and I had forgotten how GOOD that book was. Jordan later became in love with his own "voice" it seemed, and his writing suffered for it (some sections of the later books are just brutal, ie: twelve pages describing a tea cup) but the first three books in the series were, IMO, some of the best fantasy ever written this side of Tolkien.

Has anybody read the newer books written by the other guy? No spoilers please, but I'm curious if they're decent or not.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the new wot book, but Brandon Sanderson is a solid writer. I heard him in an interview discussing how he put a lot of effort into staying true to Jordan's form for this book.
Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't read the new ones yet, (like you, I went back to the beginning) but I have friends who say they are awesome!
Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I loved the first four WOT books. Then they progressively got worse, longer but with less stuff actually happening and meaningless subplots.

I thought the last one before Sanderson took over finally felt as if the main plot was moving forward.

I've only read one of the new ones by Sanderson, but I really liked it. It felt in tune with the previous novels, but actually had a solid story arc that felt like it was building to something bigger. I only thought that one of the characters was a little bit off. But overall, I'm really impressed with Sanderson.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tripper
Member # 9485

- posted      Profile for tripper   Email tripper         Edit/Delete Post 
I also just picked up Eye of the World to reread before looking at the last two, and had a similar experience as you remembering how good Jordan is (before he lost his way a bit). I'm looking forward to getting back into the WoT world and slogging through.

On the topic of Sanderson, someone gifted me ELANTRIS, his first, and I couldn't put it down. Great read if anyone's interested.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

I'm most of the way through book 2, and still really enjoying my re-read. I had forgotten so much!!!

It is sad though to see how much of a decline in quality the WoT books experience.

Posts: 450 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tripper
Member # 9485

- posted      Profile for tripper   Email tripper         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished book 3, and have decided that what keeps me invested in the books--through all the descriptions of leaves on trees--is the characters. Almost against my better judgment, I'm hooked and need to finish to see what happens to these people. I care about them and want to experience things with them. Definitely something to think about in my own writing...
Posts: 35 | Registered: Apr 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
Robert Jordan chose well, picking Sanderson to finish his series. I would definitely say the latest two books are as good as the first three. It's like we were cruising along in the series, then we got slogged down in molasses, and with these last two books we've finally pulled free and are zipping along once again.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rcorporon
Member # 2879

I'm into book 5 of my re-read now. Story is still going well, but I know that once I hit "Lord of Chaos" things are going to sloooooow down.

Still enjoying the re-read up to this point though... RJ was quite talented.

Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a good place to play catch up if you don't want to go through the trouble of rereading the entire series: http://www.tor.com/features/series/wot-reread
Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
My problem with the WoT series is that Terry Goodkind started writing his knockoff series, the Sword of Truth. For years, as the volumes came out leapfrogging each other, I'd get the stupid plots messed up, especially when Jordan introduced these somewhat unrelated subplots.

My favorite WoT volume is, actually, Eye of the World. Everything was fresh and there was a clear voice. I even remember where I read it. I was on a business trip to Germany and I read it waiting for airplanes.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WriteRebekah
Member # 9657

- posted      Profile for WriteRebekah   Email WriteRebekah         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Natej11--the Brandon Sanderson books recapture the pace and feel of the earlier, best books. Definitely worth reading, and I'm equally confident in his ability to pull off a strong finish.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J
Member # 2197

- posted      Profile for J   Email J         Edit/Delete Post 
Jordan took to milking the series, and I voted my disapproval with my pocketbook after volume 6 or 7 (can't remember where, exactly).

Since I'm not going to read the last 23 books (or however many he and Sanderson will have written after the point where I stopped), I get by pretending that the Eye of the World is a standalone novel with no sequels.

Posts: 683 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.