Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » Audio Book Suggestions?

Author Topic: Audio Book Suggestions?
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of off topic, but for those of you with young 'uns, or a love for younger lit, I have a bleg, here. I'm looking for audio books that:

1) are read well and
2) are appropriate for kids (no sex, some violence okay etc.).

We have loved listening to Harry Potter, but have done him to death. Other authors we like: Scott Westerfeld, Megan Whalen Turner, JRR Tolkein, Shannon Hale - stuff like that.

The narration is pretty important. I've stopped listening more than once because I could not stand the voice.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
If you can stand radio drama, you might try out the BBC version of "The Lord of the Rings." It's more faithful to the books than the movies...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC "reads" plenty of audio books. You might want to check out his (everything) reviews for some suggestions. You'll have to skim to find the audio book reviews, but they're in there.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
We're avid audiobook consumers here, too, and have enjoyed much of what you've done. I can't speak highly enough about Lloyd Alexander's Prydain Chronicles -- beautiful reading, wonderful to listen to (and don't be turned off by the initial bit on the audio, Lloyd provided an intro to the version we listened to and he was well into his 80s by then with a quavering voice that my kids found hard to understand (but still the little tidbits he shared were so fabulous.)

Also loved Golden Compass, it's read by a full cast and done BEAUTIFULLY. Full Cast Audio has done a lot of Shannon Hale books and does a great job, they also do Bruce Coville books (we haven't read them but I trust the talent they bring in.)

Without the kids I listened to Incarceron and the two books in The Agency series, as well as one by Cassandra Clare but not the Mortal Instruments, the other series she's done...forget the name of it. (looked it up - A Clockwork Angel) They were closer to YA and my kids are only 7 and 10 so I listened to them on my own (and recommend them, there's nothing too crazy in the content, but mommy needed her own books to listen to. [Wink]

We are currently listening to the Alchemyst series by Michael Scott. They are okay but not my favorite narrator (and there's a change, I think book one has one narrator, books 2 and 3 a different one, we're listening to 4 and it might be the first narrator again...not sure.) It's also not my favorite writer, the books are description-heavy action, so a five minute stretch can take a chapter and a half. I just get *tired* listening to it, if that makes any sense (doesn't help that we're on book 4...)

We've put down plenty of books after we all lost interest in them. We generally agree together before we do that, though.

Oh, our all-time favorite has to be Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynn Jones. We've listened to about five of her books on audio and just love love love them. Great narrators. We have a fondness for the brits. [Wink]

I swear there are more but that's a start. Oh, the Percy Jackson series is pretty good, it's a young narrator (suits the first person POV.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Or the BBC adaption of The Narnia Chronicles. I've wanted to listen to them.

Seemed like there was another one I had heard was good but can't remember right now so I might be back. [Smile]

Wait. Don't know if there is an audio book of it but you could look for"Brooklyn Knight" by C. J. Henderson. Not a lot of violence even though a fire demon burns up a cop and some soldiers but it isn't described. And there is no active sex. By that I mean there is sexual attraction between the two MCs and they talk about at the end, she says she isn't a virgin, but no sex.

It's a UF story and the way it's written I believe it's YA.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.