Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Discussing Published Hooks & Books » alien point of view

Author Topic: alien point of view
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Received an email from a "non-writer" who offered an idea that even after reading speculative fiction "from asimov to zelazny" for over 50 years this person had not seen done.

I know I've seen it done, but I thought it might be an interesting exercise to ask for you all to list where you've seen it done.

So, stories written from alien (as opposed to live humans) points of view. (And we can discuss whether we think former humans -- as in WARM BODIES -- count as alien or not.)

But first of all, what books and stories can you think of that have been written and published that had alien points of view?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RyanB
Member # 10008

- posted      Profile for RyanB   Email RyanB         Edit/Delete Post 
Does The Hobbit count?
Posts: 222 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so, personally, because I view hobbits as "everyman" characters. But maybe someone else could argue differently.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Dean Koontz had one, but I don't remember its name. Gregory Benford turned out one...I remember it chiefly 'cause Analog published half of it by mistake and republished all of it a couple months later. There's the middle section of Asimov's The Gods Themselves...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dirk Hairychest
Member # 10105

- posted      Profile for Dirk Hairychest   Email Dirk Hairychest         Edit/Delete Post 
Well if you include animals and insects in the broad definition of "alien" then there are plenty in this genre. Watership Down comes to mind. The Wind in the Willows. Charlotte's Web. Metamorphosis. These were some of my favorites as a young man. I find that writing stories from animal perspectives is just another method of illuminating the human condition.

A relatively recent YA book with at least one very important alien viewpoint character was written by our Stephanie Meyer: The Host.

Posts: 60 | Registered: Jul 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
C.J. Cherryh's Cuckoo's Egg in large part reports from protagonist Shonun Dana Duun Shtoni no Lughn's (Duun) viewpoint. However, the narrator reports deuteragonist (Haras) Thorn's viewpoint as well. Psychic access is deep for both characters, though Thorn is generally stage front and Duun is more observing Thorn in Jerome Sterne's story shape vernacular as a specimen than acting.

Either way, an argument can be made that the Shonunin are an anthropomorphic personification of a barbarian warrior human culture. Barbarian meaning metal tool and weapon users in anthropology vernacular.

Many narratives from nonhuman veiwpoints I've read tend toward anthropomorphic personifications. I have not encountered many that I feel satisfactorily reach outside the box. I can't think of one at this moment that does. When a truly alien viewpoint is intrinsic to a plot, a little hand-wavium, "They can't be understood by humans," spans gaps, like meaning is lost in translations because a word doesn't translate as meaningfully into other languages as a native language expresses.

Anyway, "can't be understood" usually bypasses artful reporting of alien viewpoints, contrarily, artfully leaving interpretation up to readers' imaginations. Why show alien viewpoints when readers' imaginations fill in the gaps satisfactorily for the moment of the narrative?

"Writing the Other" is a similar conundrum. Can a writer exoteric to a culture group artfully represent an esoteric individual of a culture group not in any way the writer's? It's done frequently and quite artfully. But totally alien? I've meditated on that. I feel like I'm an alien among my natal species, like Thorn feels in Cuckoo's Egg. I suspect I could easily write an inaccessible and unappealing narrative from an alien viewpoint, highly controversial and scandalous, though. But making it accessible and appealing is a challenge one day I will attempt. Actually, the germ of the idea I have is from an alien social scientist's viewpoint. Sociologist? Political geographer? Ethnologist? Folklorist? I think the social science and its functions and purposes would themselves have to be alien as well.

[ August 12, 2013, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: extrinsic ]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
What first comes to mind is "Pupa" by David D. Levine, published in the September 2010 of Analog.

From the Writers of the Future, there's "Written in Light" by Jeff Young, in Volume XXVI. What I remember is that a tree-like alien takes care of a human girl who gets lost on the planet it's terraforming (so to speak). In Volume XXI, Sean A. Tinsley's "Green Angel" is told from the POV of a human-created entity living on Titan (I think).

For novels: The Lucasfilm's Alien Chronicles trilogy by Deborah Chester contains not a single human. Many of the scenes are based on classic human conflicts, but that's to be expected. Human readers still need to relate to it.

Thinking of Lucasfilm, I also remember alien POV in Star Wars Tales anthologies.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KellyTharp
Member # 9997

- posted      Profile for KellyTharp   Email KellyTharp         Edit/Delete Post 
Did not some of the "I Robot" series come from the robot's VP? KT
Posts: 96 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure Watership Down, The Hobbit, or The Wind in the Willows qualify as "from an alien point of view." By and large, they're humans in guise of hobbits or rabbits or other animals. Anthropomorphism, I guess. I saw part of a movie of The Wind in the Willows recently, just flipping through channels. It was done with human actors in somewhat grotesque makeup, but clearly not animals---I recognized the scene they were doing right off, but, having lived with Arthur Rackham illustrations for so long, I'm somewhat disgruntled that they're [b]not[/i] in animal form.

(Watership Down comes close, in the detail of rabbit life; Richard Adams really did his homework here.)

I think for the "truly alien," you have to dive deep into science fiction.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of more WotF, Cruciger by Erin Cashier (XXIV) is a story about a probe/ship we'd sent to find another habitable world that had woken people up one by one until (if I remember correctly) there were none left.

Finding an acceptable ocean world, the probe scanned for life and found some creatures in the sea that, only after scrutiny, proved sentient.

But is that an "alien" POV?

Two years ago, Trina and I both submitted truly alien POV stories to WotF, and we were both finalists. However, neither of us won. (Although both stories contained humans. Or in my case, human.)

Last year's antho was all human, I believe.

My current WotF WiP is alien POV and 0 humans. I realize I've reduced my 0.8% chance of winning down to 0.0%, but sometimes you've just got to tell the story in your head. [Smile]

How about movies or TV shows? I can't think of any right off that are all alien and zero human. Although Pixar sure likes to tell stories from alien-to-us POV. Wall-E is a good example.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

I've submitted a 100% alien story to WotF that received a standard rejection, but I think that's (as much as anything) because I muddled the story concept.

I somewhat remember another published short from an alien's POV. It was in an edition of Science Fiction Encyclopedia and might have been called "The Last Troll". A native of a planet that was violently colonized by humans reflects on his existence and his relationship with the beings that destroyed his people.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RyanB
Member # 10008

- posted      Profile for RyanB   Email RyanB         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspirit:

I somewhat remember another published short from an alien's POV. It was in an edition of Science Fiction Encyclopedia and might have been called "The Last Troll". A native of a planet that was violently colonized by humans reflects on his existence and his relationship with the beings that destroyed his people.

That sounds interesting. Leave it up to humans to violently displace a people/species and then have a change of heart and feel a responsibility to protect said people/species (perhaps while also secretly disdaining them).

Which reminds me of how well the buggers are done in the Ender series. Only small parts are written from her (or the piggies') views but they are done really well. They have a rich psychology which is different and dynamic.

Posts: 222 | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Aww, Ryan, you assumed that the humans protected the last troll. Actually, they mostly ignored him, and showed their disdain for him when they didn't. The point of the story was in the troll's actions. He saw a girl (human) drowning in a river and jumped in to save her. It doesn't end well for him.

I'm pretty sure I've remembered the story for all the years -- more than ten -- because teenaged-me cared for the alien. In the end, it didn't matter how many legs he had or what planet he was from. He was a determined hero.

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
My alien pov WotF finalist is the novelette that got published in IGMS this past year. My short story that got published in AE was from a mechanical's pov.

My WotF semi-finalist had two alien pov's and no humans.

"Through Alien Eyes" by Amy Thomson is another.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a flash fiction story published with Stupefying Stories written from the POV of a space probe trying to find a new homeworld for humanity.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Denevius
Member # 9682

- posted      Profile for Denevius   Email Denevius         Edit/Delete Post 
Octavia Butler captures an alien point of view well in her novels. Try reading the Xenogenesis trilogy, or the Patternist series.
Posts: 1216 | Registered: Nov 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread jogged my memory of a book I read as a teen - Nor Crystal Tears by Alan Dean Foster.

If I remember correctly, the main characters were insect-like, and when the humans finally did show up, they were definitely considered the aliens.

I guess I liked it pretty well if it stuck in my brain all this time [Smile]

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AndrewR
Member # 1563

- posted      Profile for AndrewR   Email AndrewR         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, I can't think of a novel that was written entirely from an alien POV.

"The Word for World is Forest" is about 1/3 from the alien native's POV.

And (to toot my own horn), the story by my wife and myself, "Who Lived in a Shoe," (published in Empire of Dreams and Miracles, edited by our esteemed host) was written entirely from the alien real estate agent's POV. [Smile]

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reziac
Member # 9345

- posted      Profile for Reziac   Email Reziac         Edit/Delete Post 
Does the fact that there are no Earth humans in my ongoing Epic count? (Humanoid, but not human, and behave differently in certain critical respects.)
Posts: 782 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legolasgalactica
Member # 10087

- posted      Profile for legolasgalactica   Email legolasgalactica         Edit/Delete Post 
There are multiple examples in the Star Wars universe, although most are humanoid aliens.
Posts: 164 | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.