Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Class » Assignment #1--starting a story (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Assignment #1--starting a story
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan, it might be.

I'm wondering, though, if you're talking about a plan for a story or the actual start of the story.

If it's the plan, do you have it all planned out, or only some of it?

Do you know what point of view you want to use? I ask that because Toriyn isn't going to think of the place where he lives as "ancient" or "Greece." So are you telling the story as an omniscient narrator, or is the story going to be from Toriyn's point of view?

What does Toriyn want? How does he feel about this stranger telling him about his future? Who is Toriyn in the first place and who is there for him to rebel against?

Have you read Orson Scott Card's books CHARACTER AND VIEWPOINT and HOW TO WRITE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY in which he talks about kinds of stories? Do you know what kind of story you're planning to tell? (What you've described so far makes me think it could be any of the four, but I'd go for either the character story or the event story if I were you.)

You need to figure out things like that as you plan your story, as well as the things I mentioned in the opening post of this topic.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
You have many valid questions that need answered so here goes:

1. I'm thinking that this will be both a character and event story ( the event being the rebellion against Mt. Olympus )

2. He knows he lives in a world where gods, mysterious creatures, and most of the mythos roam.

3. Toriyn is a guy that wants to be the chief of his village one day and take over for his father.

4. He's totally freaked out about hearing the news of his future from some guy that appears to him while he's hunting.

5. I have the story planned out to tentatively having Ares reveal himself later in the story, but someone is pulling his strings. Ares is doing this to get more power. I was thinking that Thanatos and Cronus joins forces and has poor Toriyn lead the way as a puppet.

If you have anything else to comment on let me know.

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read either of OSC's books?

An "event" story is when there is something wrong with the way things are (an imbalance in the status quo, more or less) and the story starts when the main character decides to do something about it.

From what you've said, I don't think you are talking about an event story.

A "character" story is when a character either desires a role he doesn't have or is thrust into a role he doesn't want. What you've described sound much more like a character story (both ways) than an event story.

I really think you need to read CHARACTER AND VIEWPOINT and HOW TO WRITE SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY by Orson Scott Card so you will better understand the story you are planning to write.

Your local library should have copies of both books.

Monolith
Member # 2034

- posted      Profile for Monolith   Email Monolith         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the reply. Now that you explained it more to me, I'm sure that this is a character story and not an event story.

Toriyn is going to be thrust into a leadership role of a rebellion, not into the role of being chief of his village. He has no idea of what being a leader is all about yet and he's going to have a hard to doing so.

Now with all that said, is this a good example of a character story?

Bryan

Posts: 340 | Registered: Jun 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

It sounds like a character story, Bryan.

Write on!

J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for J. Alfred Prufrock   Email J. Alfred Prufrock         Edit/Delete Post 
I have this idea for something I'm working on.

Let's say I have this world that's strictly dependent its technological advancement, far more so than we are. They've been building robots (I use the term loosely; I refer to them in all shapes and sizes, androids abound) to take all the dirty jobs. Manual labor and whatnot. The society's leaning as far as it can toward being as autonomous as they can. Once they have robots doing every job that could be done by robots, most of them can focus on leisure, and the rest, on attempting to further the technology, or to explore space, or what have you. The point is, they're building more and more machines, and the only really sought-after jobs are programmers -- who are fervently working on programming robots that can learn how to program for them.

But this world has two quite large problems: One, they're running out of resources <i>fast</i>. It takes materials to build these things, and those materials are pretty much almost gone. Two, a radical group called (insert radical group here) is making hell on the robotics manufacturers, as they think that this system is placing far too much power in the robots' hands, and fear a hostile takeover, despite the three laws of robotics.

So then, let's say I have another world that exists more or less parallel to this one. Same shape, same size, same place, just grew up differently. Planetary fraternal twins, let's call them, that live on slightly different planes. This world has not been producing technology by themselves; they rely heavily on magic. Their system is simplified as thus: One corporation simply called the Company is host to three near-omniscient energy forms that monitor the world. If they detect any illegal use of magic, whether it's an unpermitted spell, or a permitted spell that commits a crime, they alert the Company, and it sends its Headhunters out to detain the criminal and clean up the mess he might have made. The Company is very good at what they do.

This world is rather primeval; its largest kingdom is ruled by a shapeshifting, backstabbing Queen named Nyth, and the Company's top Headhunter is an elf named Jerin who can either see exceptionally well and not hear at all, or hear exceptionally well and not see at all, but there's never any grey area. There are faeries and dwarves and most of the creatures of lore -- even demons, which is where one of this world's problems lies. Normally, the demons stick to their own business, playing their games of status and kicking back, just having fun, but once in a blue moon, there's a black sheep that just has to ruin it for them all. This black sheep's name is Raelk, and he's a dangerous mix of demon and man. The demon blood in him dictates to go kill things; the human in him says wait, stop, think about what you're doing. Regardless, he's making trouble for the Company, and they're going nuts just trying to find him.

Both worlds affect each other on an almost constant basis, though the denizens of each have no idea that the other exists. For example, Michael, a software programmer, has a strange knack for controlling the autonomous -- he can look at a light switch and it will fall, but he'll soon forget about it and pay it no real mind. At the same time, bits and pieces of his world's technology is showing up in Raelk's world, and getting twisted by magic -- a machine that is infested with nature's grace turns into something else entirely.

So here's my question: How do I get the two worlds to know each other? I have a plan, once they do; I want the people of the technological world to see the magic of the other world in effect and realize that it could solve their resources problem, then try to cultivate it as they did every other resource -- try to figure out what, exactly, magic is. I even have plans for that part of it, though it involves quite a bit of researching, but in the end, I'm going to have them start a group (lovingly named the Asimov Project) that is devoted to crafting robots who can cast limited magic -- just enough to make their tasks autonomous but effective. For example, a robot that can grow a forest over a period of a few years, or a satellite that can monitor the world's climate and make little changes here when needed. At the same time, the technological world could help the Company track and take down Raelk.

So. Any ideas? Problems? Gaping holes?

[This message has been edited by J. Alfred Prufrock (edited July 20, 2004).]

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Are you asking for brainstorming help, J?

I think you're more likely to get that if you post this summary in the Fragments and Feedback section. I think the people there would love to suggest ideas for you.

The stage you are at with your story is a little beyond the scope of these writing assignments.

J. Alfred Prufrock
Member # 2114

- posted      Profile for J. Alfred Prufrock   Email J. Alfred Prufrock         Edit/Delete Post 
Oop. Heh. Sorry! I'll post it there, then. Danke.
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jul 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
I'll start here then, I guess. I've got Uncky Orson's writing books on hold at the library so I'll be reading them soon.

I need to start a story as the first assignment: a character and a conflict...hmmm, dum de dee dum, let see what the cat has in the bag...

("My, my Matilda! You was allus a tom-boy, but you look like a damsel in dis dress!")

Wow, there's not much in here.

My first assignment and I have writer's block!

Okay, how this for an idea:

A lazy young man in his early twenties comes home for breakfast late one morning after having stayed overnight at a friend's house. He finds the place stripped of all possessions and thinks it has been burglerized until he finds a note on the floor from his parents. The note states that they have run away taking all their things with them. He has one month before the people they sold the house to move in.

Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd give him less than a month to deal with the situation. Anyone would have a reasonable chance at working through this hassle in a month. Give him 3 days. Or 3 hours.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Void
Member # 2567

- posted      Profile for Void           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the month is just kindness on the part of the frustrated, overworked parents, who could never convince him to get a job or go to vocational school or college (or clean the dishes, pick up his socks, etc.) I'm actually thinking of having them return at the end of the month after this kid has supposedly learned his lesson--or at least learned something.
Posts: 150 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Beth
Member # 2192

- posted      Profile for Beth   Email Beth         Edit/Delete Post 
Kindness, exactly. Should be resisted most of the time in fiction, imo; usually you're looking for ways to increase the pressure on your protagonist, not make it easy for him.
Posts: 1750 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Howjos
Member # 2441

- posted      Profile for Howjos   Email Howjos         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my idea for a story:

A US platoon on patrol in Afghanistan is ambushed and the platoon is wiped out. The sole survivor is of Middle Eastern decent and to survive he disguises himself as one of the locals. He then tries to find his way back to base and safety.

I see this as leading to several possible scenarios:
1) In disguise he falls in with a group of locals who turn out to be rebels. He is not able to leave safely so must assist them in what they are doing.
2) He is spotted by another US platoon who mistake him for a rebel and he must defend himself.
3) He is helped by a local village and while there the village is attacked by US forces who belive it is a rebel base. He assists the village in (defending itself/escaping).

There are plenty of other possible situations that could arise but I thought the initial situation could be quite interesting.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
Howjos, all three of those are cliche... BUT, maybe you could try to combine all three in an interesting way?
Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Thiwhin
Member # 2610

- posted      Profile for Thiwhin   Email Thiwhin         Edit/Delete Post 
Hej. I've plotting on some sort of story. It's an inside - outside type of story. A young man has to come to grips with what his destiny has to offer him. He can't realy chose way, just follow it. The inside story is how he does handle this changes. The outside is how the world around him changes. I think this is a common plot but does it sounds like anything to hold on to and develop. I guess I'm a bit as mr King. The plot develops through writing and rewriting.

//Thiwhin

Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
spaceturd
Member # 2928

- posted      Profile for spaceturd   Email spaceturd         Edit/Delete Post 
A man gets his nipples pierced. Shortly afterward, he begins having strange dreams and visions, especially just before and right after thunderstorms.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
spaceturd
Member # 2928

- posted      Profile for spaceturd   Email spaceturd         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the premise: A man goes to a tattoo parlor and gets his nipples pierced. He soon discovers that he's having frequent episodes of "missing time". His last memory just before he realizes he just had an episode of missing time is that his nipples begin to tingle. It turns out, unknown to him and every other person with body piercings and even tattoos, that space aliens are slowly taking over the world by opening up tattoo parlors. But these are a tad different than your regular pay-and-poke parlors. The aliens can control humans through their piercings. They can also track them and control them through tattoos because these tattoos are ..... "special". They're not just pigments under the skin. They are nanites!

[This message has been edited by spaceturd (edited November 14, 2005).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cheli
Member # 3029

- posted      Profile for Cheli   Email Cheli         Edit/Delete Post 
First post - am I allowed to post in this for my first post?

Slight bit of background:
A girl, nicknamed Luky (pronounced looky not lucky), grows up with an imaginary friend, whom - strangely - she only sees in a mirror in her Grandmother's attic. The girl is a slight bit older than luky, but while Luky has continued to age into her 30's, the girl in the mirror stopped at about age 20..

Story Idea:

Luky, is startled awake by a loud scream while staying at her Grandmother's house. The scream came from the attic.

Luky has just had a nightmare in which the girl from the mirror threw a child through the mirror. The child landed in the attic dust, and then the girl turned around and all Luky remembers is a horrible scream and a very bright flash of light.

Luky - of course - investigates the attic the next day, to no avail. What IS strange is that the girl from the mirror (ok lets call her mirrorgirl for now...)is there in the mirror when luky looks, but Mirrorgirl is just lying there, possibly dead, no marks
anywhere. Luky can see the room the Mirrorgirl is lying in and its a baby's room, with no baby.

It takes just a few days of watching for Luky to realize she is either 1) crazy or 2) this is another world and that Luky has witnessed a murder. Luky recklessly touches the mirror (ok YES that part needs thought out), wishing she could enter that world... and finds herself in a world of magic.

Eintering this world there are several things Luky must discover - how it works, how she got there, why Mirrorgirl died, who the baby was, where the baby is now, and perhaps most importantly - how to get home to her own two children.

Posts: 11 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Constipatron
Member # 3183

- posted      Profile for Constipatron   Email Constipatron         Edit/Delete Post 
On a whim I decided to apply the first assignment today to see what I came up with. It's kind of flat and a little silly, but here goes...

First idea: There's a set of conjoined twins, both connected at the waist who were born with extraordinary abilities; one, on the left, has foresight, while the other, on the right, has the wonderful ability to forget. :-P

They both pilot a small galactic 'trash' ship, capturing and destroying/recycling space junk left from centuries of careless humans: useless satellites or simple industrial waste, on and on, etc. etc.

Second idea: They come across a peaceful race of aliens who happen to worship the stars and whatever is in it. They believe that all creatures deserve the right to worship whatever they believe and that they have no right to compell or battle others for the sake of their religious beliefs or their right to existance.

The main conflict, and probably not the only one, comes when the twins inadvertantly dismantle and destroy what the aliens consider an "artifact" of GREAT holiness and significance to their entire culture. The twins encounter the aliens who beg the question, "Why have you destroyed the _______ of all that is holy!"

The twins have to find a way to get out of the situation without causing a war between alien and human. The twin with foresight sees several outcomes, but never knows which path to take (the ability is for themselves and not others) while his twin constantly asks what's going on. :-P

The aliens, on the other hand, are faced with the delima of losing their holy relic, which, in it's destruction, they have to restructure their entire life-style and existance; further being tested on their pacifistic, peacful ways. Do they kill the infedel humans or do they forgive them and resign themselves to such a depressingly long and arduous task of restructuring their lives.

Well, I SAID it was silly. Anyway, I'm not sure I'm going to run with it, but it might be an interesting short story. Can you guys see any other ways I could improve upon it?

Posts: 62 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

- posted      Profile for TMan1969   Email TMan1969         Edit/Delete Post 
Something like...

A rakish boy whose mother is an alcoholic and whose older brother Colyn is always angry and looks down on him. The boy, Greg who is carefree and goodhearted survives through the good hospices of his friends. But an evil accusation from his brother threatens to drive him insane, "no matter what you do, your a loser and we'll always be looking after you"

Greg lays on a floating dock looking at the blue sky and wonders what the Fates have in store for him, until a bottle floats to him. Inside a message, which promises to fulfill all his dreams but he first must wish away his worst enemy..

who does he wish for? what does he want?

Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boricua
Member # 3557

- posted      Profile for Boricua   Email Boricua         Edit/Delete Post 
I know this response is to an old subject, but I thought I'd mention it, anyway.

JK shared his idea about a priest who is made into a vampire, and the ensuing spiritual turmoil in this man's life. The fact that he drinks another person's blood torments him.

It occurred to me that this torment would be exacerbated by the fact that by the 7th century Christians believed, and the Catholic Church affirmed at the Cousel of Trent(1562–63), that in the Eucharist (Communion) the bread and the wine are "transubstantiated", becoming in fact the actual flesh and blood of Christ.

Can you imagine the conflict raging in this priest's soul while tryng to administer Holy Communion to his flock? When bringing the chalice of Christ's blood (from which only the priest drinks)to his lips?

I'm a Protestant, so I don't know if this is still taught by the Church, but one would have to set the story far enough back in history for this point to be relevant to the priest.

-- Boricua

[This message has been edited by Boricua (edited July 15, 2006).]

Posts: 2 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Aust Alien
Member # 3493

- posted      Profile for Aust Alien   Email Aust Alien         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Boricua,

Yes, we believe this and it is still called "transubstantiation". (Actually, when I say 'we believe this' I can't actually talk for the one billion Catholics out there, but rather what I mean is this is still the teachings of the church). Is Vatican II the entire congregation, not just the priest, drinks the precious blood.
This belief was the reason early Christians had the charge of cannibalism leveled at them.

Upshot is, this aspect would be cool in the story, and you wouldn't have to set it way back in history.

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TMan1969
Member # 3552

Falcon Ridge was nestled in between two large ancient mountains, Odin and Thor. The mountains have stood for centuries and the world came to enjoy their view. A group of scientists flying in a tiny commercial helicopter were the harbringers of doom, the villagers had to move.
Posts: 287 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

- posted      Profile for trailmix   Email trailmix         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is an ida that I have been kicking around for some time but havent really been able to flesh out.

The "Wildlands" are home to fueding clans that have recently struck up a tenative truce due to the onset of an early and bitter winter. The two largest clans are bitter rivals that still have a fair amount of bad blood between them. The ruler of the Southern "Civilized lands" decides to take advatage of their predicament by forcing them to sign alliegence to him or suffer a trade embargo that would surely be the end of them all. He demands that they send an emissary by a predetermined date to sign the contract.

One of the major clans emissaries is waylaid on his way to sign the contract. The Ruler believes his clan to be the only rebel faction. He strikes up a deal with the rival clan.

The rival clan shows up a hundred strong bearing no weapons and speaking of the glorious union between all of the clans under the banner of the ruler. They come bringing gifts of food and grain and that night a great feast is put on as a show of welcoming and hospitality. When everyones is fat with food and drink all fall asleep. The rival clan wakes up before dawn and with weapons they brought hidden slaughter every man and able boy in the clan.

A small hunting party returns from the mountains with the last haul of furs and meat for the year to find the carnage. The men all dead, the women and children gone.

I plan on having the small hunting party, 3 brothers and an older mentor be the main characters in the story.

Posts: 148 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

I dont want it to be simply a revenge tale but it will have some of those elements. I would like to focus on the mystery and intrigue of the massacre. The who and why. I want to open on the hunters coming home to find there village destroyed, the men dead and the women and children gone. Or maybe on the Emissary and his group being waylaid. I was thinking I could use dialog between the group to explain some of the background. Perhaps have a heated arguement about whether or not swearing alliegence to the ruler in the south is best for the clan.

Now that I think about it the emissary might be the better opening scene.

Any thoughts?

Scott

[This message has been edited by trailmix (edited December 02, 2006).]

Posts: 148 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Sounds interesting to me. Start writing.

Edited to add:

The emissary is from the wiped-out clan, too, right? (Or did I misunderstand?)

Anyway, using the POV of the emissary takes the story out of a revenge story, and yet the emissary will certainly sympathize with the hunters and their desire for revenge. The emissary will have a bigger picture of things, though, and want to find a way to not only obtain justice, but help the remainder of his people survive.

I think it will be more interesting for the emissary to have to figure out what happened and what can be done to salvage things, so I agree that the emissary is the best choice for POV and for the story start.

Again, please start writing.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited December 02, 2006).]

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

I originally was going to have the emissary be a secondary character. Just get what I need from him then toss him aside. After your input I believe that he or perhaps she would be a better lead character. Thanks for the input. That may smah the wall I keep running into.

Scott

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Cool!
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
trailmix
Member # 4440

Things were going well for a bit. The story was coming together (or so I thought), then out of nowhere my mind was hijacked by another idea. I cant stop thinking about it. I decided to try to combine the ideas. My question is,do you know any practical exercises that I can use to help me merge these two idea?

Scott

TMan1969
Member # 3552

An ancient alien race has been living on earth for centuries. Their lives intertwine with our history, mythos etc - they provide G8 countries with technology. All a country has to do is let them feed on their citizens..
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

So the story is going to be about whom? One of the aliens who falls in love with a human and doesn't want to eat him/her? One of the humans who's loved one has been eaten and who is in a position to discover what is really going on (sounds like a role for Tom Cruise) and tries to expose the situation?

When you start with a situation, a next step might be to then ask yourself who suffers from the situation and therefore would try to change things.

From there you might make a list of things that person could try, which would get you into "what could go wrong?" questions (also known as the "try-fail cycle" which may be repeated as long as you like, and as long as the character learns something each time that makes the next try smarter and more exciting, until someone finally pays the price that makes things work out).

TMan1969
Member # 3552

The MC's name is Roy and his father falls victim to the aliens - eventually his girlfriend is killed by them as well. The town sheriff is knows about the aliens (is in direct contact with them), but hides the deaths as suspicous - with help from the coroner.

I have about 9,000 words so far and about 3,000 word ending...but I like the try-fail idea. It's the first time I heard about that.

I was trying, still trying, to tie in the aliens with our history and mythology (they look grim reapers and wear dark robes).

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

I think I first heard about it from Algis Budrys who used to teach the Writers of the Future workshops, but it was expanded by Dean Wesley Smith and Kristine Kathryn Rusch in a workshop I attended in 1996.

I wrote something up about that workshop and posted it here if anyone is interested.

TMan1969
Member # 3552

Thanks, KDW - that was an interesting article. I am far away from a novel, but I am working on that too.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Yeah, you can't have as many try-fail cycles in a short story, often one is enough.

Also, in a novel, you can have the goals change as the character learns more from each try-fail cycle, so that what the character tries for early in the novel isn't the same thing as what the character tries for later. But, as you said, that's for novels.

Rick Norwood
Member # 5604

- posted      Profile for Rick Norwood   Email Rick Norwood         Edit/Delete Post 
I hadn't noticed it consciously before, but most of my stories begin with two people who disagree strongly. Often they come from different races, classes, religions, or sexual preferences. They argue, one of them wins, the other escalates the situation -- sometimes attacking the person who stomped him, sometimes attacking the smaller monkey. Things get worse. A new attempt to make things better escalates the conflict. In the conclusion, the POV character thinks his way out of the situation (sometimes with a little violence thrown in, but, especially in sf, I think the answer should be an idea which, to some extent, leaves everybody satisfied).

Maybe I would sell more if I had more conflicts solved with edged weapons.

I'll put 13 lines of one of these stories, which has bounced from all the major markets -- but with nibbles -- up on the thirteen line forum tomorrow. (Got something different to put up today, and one a day seems an upper bound.)

Posts: 557 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Well, I like stories where the protagonist uses intelligence to solve the problem. (And if it can be a non-zero-sum solution all the better.)

One way to describe tragedies is that they are stories where the two antagonists discover too late that they weren't really on opposite sides after all, and if they had only known, they could have worked things out.

I like the positive ending to that kind of story, when two parties with worthy objectives are working at cross purposes and the story is resolved when they figure out how to cooperate so that both sides achieve some kind of success.

So it's fine to start with two people in conflict. If you can make them both "good guys" in the sense that they are trying to achieve good things, you will create interesting conflicts in the reader (who will not know whom to "cheer" for) and you will have a chance of avoiding predictability in your story.

Then, if you can come up with a satisfying resolution to their dual problem, you will have achieved a "double whammy" instead of just having one winner.

It's something to consider, anyway.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

posting to make certain this topic is visible
Josh Anthony
Member # 5960

- posted      Profile for Josh Anthony   Email Josh Anthony         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's an idea I've always had but I've never been able to work with it (so if you like it and can develop it, go ahead and use it - just give me a little credit, okay?)

A mother kills her child, and is brought to trial. Her defense: it came from my body, so don't I have a right to terminate it? Two outcomes: she's jailed (and it's a philisophical text) or she wins (then we have a horror story).

It's the classic abortion line, but radically applied. Anyway, any takers?

Posts: 26 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aerten
Member # 5942

- posted      Profile for aerten   Email aerten         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's my idea (more short story than long piece): A white woman is engaged to a man of Vietnamese descent. His family is insisting on a traditional Vietnamese engagement ceremony. This ceremony involves inviting all the ancestors to visit the bride's house (i.e. inviting many, many ghosts to visit). The bride says no way.

The conflict is less the speculative aspect than just the interrelational nightmare. The bride wants to keep her autonomy, the groom wants to honor his traditions, and his family wants the groom to do what they say (since this has been his pattern up to now).

What do you think?

Posts: 30 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Josh Anthony, your idea reminds me of something Stephen King said (I think it was in DANSE MACABRE) about a story he thought of that he figured he would never be able to sell if he wrote it (a guy on a desert island has to cut off parts of his own body to eat in order to keep himself alive). I have since heard that he did write it and he was able to sell it. So you never can tell.

aerten, you've got an interesting conflict to explore. I'd say go for it. One thing, though, as OSC has said in his "1000 Ideas in an Hour" presentations, as you develop this story, don't use the first ideas that come to you. Toss them out and go for the third or fourth or fifth ideas. You could really do some interesting things with your story if you give yourself a chance to surprise people.

Balthasar
Member # 5399

- posted      Profile for Balthasar   Email Balthasar         Edit/Delete Post 
The King story is called "Survivor Type."

I don't know if he ever sold it, but it is the SKELETON CREW collection.

My own thought on writing a story that's not likely to sell is to write it anyway because you need the practice. I've found that the more I stifle myself, the harder it is to write, and the more I write what I find interesting, the more ideas I have.

What exactly have you lost by taking a week or two to write a story? Unless writing is your livelihood, the answer is NOTHING.

Posts: 130 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought King sells a lot based on his name, and that's one of the stories that comes to mind. As is sometimes said, I've read "Letters to Penthouse" that were more plausible than that story.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Howjos
Member # 2441

There is a piece I started writing and would like to develop further. I wrote about a page which did not mention characters at all but described a location. It was a forest at the base of a mountain. On the other side was a desert, this was shown in the way the dust affected the colour of the rising moon. It was dusk and the imagery evoked a sense of peace and tranquility with a just a hint of something primitive and violent in the background. I never extended the piece this far, but I always pictured the story being about a family of wolves. The mother being seperated from her cub and having to fight to reclaim it.

Do you think this piece could develop?

Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Howjos
Member # 2441

aerten, why is she saying no way? is it because of a clash of culture, maybe she is embarrased by her house? Has she had some experience with spirits in the past and fears their presence? Maybe the spirits coming through will reveal something about her she is trying to keep hidden.

There are a lot of ideas that could be driven from what you have started with if you explore the question why.

Posts: 35 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Howjos, I'd strongly recommend that you start stories with characters instead of description.

I have to confess a bias here, though: I have a hard time getting into stories that start with description because they don't make me care. The only ones that work for me are the descriptions written from a character's point of view, because such descriptions can be used to show the character (by what the character notices and cares about, for example).

Is there any reason you couldn't have the mother wolf viewing the setting as she's worrying about where her cub has gone and how to get it back?

Howjos
Member # 2441

That would be possible. I could take the strong images I have developed and scatter them appropriately through the opening scene as the mother wolf starts the action.

I would have to alter at least one of the descriptions though as I had described the rising moon affected by the sand rsing of the dessert as a half empty glass of wine rising to a pair of unseen lips (can't think of exact wording at present). For some reason I don't think a wolf would come up with this description

That is actually an interesting point for me to keep in mind - Don't mind me as I ramble away to myself here - All the descriptions in the piece would need to be driven by the understanding of the MC, so the moon might then be compared to the colour of fresh salmon, or similar. This would alos help the reader to enter the mind of the MC.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

The more you can do to help the reader enter the mind of the main character, the better. You want to engage your readers, make them care, make them HAVE to keep reading.
jaycloomis
Member # 7193

- posted      Profile for jaycloomis   Email jaycloomis         Edit/Delete Post 
I was browsing through the replies to this topic, reading people's ideas for stories -- by the way, J. Alfred Prufrock, yours sounds fantastic -- when it occured to me.
Every story has a kicker, a motivator. Kathleen talked about it earlier, 'character' and 'event' stories. What my question is, is death the biggest event story? I've read many books where the death of a family member or friend is the motivation for the main character -- revenge, justice -- even the main piece I am working on is driven by the death of the main character's father.
I think when people make such stories, they don't even think about the fact that they're doing the same thing as so many before them, because it's something that everybody can relate to. We're all terrified of death, and especially of the deaths of those we love.
It can bring about the most powerful emotions that we experience. But will we ever get tired of books and movies that start with death and end with justice? Or is this just a plot that will never be driven into the ground?

Posts: 62 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

It's general enough to qualify as a kind of story, and as long as there are many ways to tell that kind of story, there will probably be interest in reading them.

A variation on the "start with death, end with justice" story is what might be called the "or-else" story, where death is the cost of losing, so the motivation is to prevent the death.

Serial killer mysteries are a kind of combination of both in that there have already been deaths, but there is also the rush to prevent any more deaths.

It can also be argued that physical death is not the only kind of death that can motivate. Death of someone's self-image (or role in life) can be an extremely powerful motivator in stories of either kind, but they tend to fit more in the "character" designation than in the "event" designation.

Interesting insight, jaycloomis.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.