Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Class » effective affectations

Author Topic: effective affectations
kkmmaacc
Member # 2643

- posted      Profile for kkmmaacc           Edit/Delete Post 
Affect vs. Effect

Both of these words can be used as nouns, and both as verbs. Aaack! Writers are running as fast as their feet will carry them, forswearing all future use of grammar!

But no, it is not so bad. I stick by my billboard example. If you remember "sound FX" means "sound effects" you'll be right 95% of the time. And the 5% of the time when you'll be wrong -- the meaning of the sentence will probably be weird enough to send you looking in the dictionary anyway, so you'll actually be right 100% of the time!

So, just remember that effect is usually a noun, and affect is usually a verb.

The exceptions are:

Affect can be used as a noun (with stress on the first syllable) to refer to the physical ways humans have to express emotion: "After the stroke, her voice was devoid of all affect." A good way to remember this might be that adopting a given physical appearance to falsely convey an emotion could be called an affectation.

Effect can be used as a verb when it means "to bring about a certain effect." You can think of this as a case of verbing a noun. The most common usage, I think, is the phrase "effect change", meaning to bring about change.

So, if you're clear on the three examples "sound FX", "affect~affectation" and "effect change", you're good to go.

-K>

Posts: 92 | Registered: Jun 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Spaceman
Member # 9240

- posted      Profile for Spaceman           Edit/Delete Post 
Solution. Write with a dictionary within reach.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
ACTUALLY.

Effect as a noun is a result.

Affect as a noun is something sensory. a feeling, an emotion, or a tendency.

Effect as a verb is "to cause."

Affect as a verb is ALSO "to cause."

Typically, as verbs, effect and affect are interchangeable. As nouns, on the other hand, they hold completely different meanings.

In practice, affect as a verb usually refers to living objects being affected, and effect is usually related to non-living objects.

Did all that make sense to anyone other than myself?

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
"Affect" as a verb means to influence, which is not exactly the same as to cause.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  | Report this post to a Moderator
dpatridge
Member # 2208

- posted      Profile for dpatridge   Email dpatridge         Edit/Delete Post 
Well then, I stand corrected.

Affect and Effect is usually difficult for anyone to wrap their heads around, and I'm no different. I usually do a search through my manuscripts for every time I use either word and double check that I used it correctly.

Posts: 477 | Registered: Oct 2004  | Report this post to a Moderator
Lanius
Member # 2482

- posted      Profile for Lanius   Email Lanius         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I consulted the book "100 Words Almost Everyone Confuses & Misuses." Among the three of you, you came to the correct (according to the book) conclusions. To provide a simple summary:

Affect (noun): emotion
Affect (verb): 1) put on a false show, like affecting an accent, 2) to influence.
Effect (noun): a result
Effect (verb): to bring about or execute.

Still a bugger, I guess.

Posts: 77 | Registered: Apr 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Mechwarrior
Member # 2796

- posted      Profile for Mechwarrior   Email Mechwarrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I use the same method as the original post - a "special effect" versus someone being "affected" by something.

Ensure and Insure are a couple buggers for people as well.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the definitions. My dictionary never really cleared up my questions about the nuance of meaning between affect and effect. Fortunately I seem to have settled into correct usage, perhaps through accident.

The words I wish more people would use properly are: there and their; and two, to, and too. And don't get me started on apostrophes...

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator
kgator
Member # 2787

- posted      Profile for kgator   Email kgator         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine once wrote a poem with the lines:
affecting all,
effecting none.

...rather depressing if I translated it correctly...

Posts: 23 | Registered: Aug 2005  | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.