Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Class » Object Inspiration

Author Topic: Object Inspiration
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

- posted      Profile for ThisProteanSoul   Email ThisProteanSoul         Edit/Delete Post 
This forum section is for random writing challenges/games/assignments, stuff like that... right?

o.o

Well, if so, I had an idea that I wanted to see if anyone was interested in.

Once every week, or two weeks, or month, whatever works best, someone (or if easier, just myself--or I could announce when a new one is needed) will post an object or concept. Then, anyone who chooses to participate, must involve that object or concept in a story, however long they wish, and in whatever style wished.

For example: toaster.

The toaster could be the main character, a heavily talked about object in the story, or a heavily used object in the story. The main point is to find some way for the story to revolve around the toaster.

Anyone interested?

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Azure, since one idea isn't enough for a story, how about if you offer two objects?

And the more unrelated they are, the better.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

- posted      Profile for ThisProteanSoul   Email ThisProteanSoul         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Good idea. My main objective is just to make someone think and have to build from their creativity.

Therefore, further example: Toaster and Pigeon.

Posts: 65 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimmy211
Member # 2817

- posted      Profile for Jimmy211   Email Jimmy211         Edit/Delete Post 
How long of a story are you thinking? A full short story, the first 13 lines, or brainstorming ideas?

Posts: 5 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

Whatever length and type of story you want. It's just for fun, to try and see what you can do when given something to go off of.
NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an interesting idea. Would we exchange stories, or would this be more of a catalyst for creative thinking? Either way, I'd like to participate.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

I was just planning on them being posted up here.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
The ideas, the story plans, or the stories themselves? (You know the rules about posting stories--only 13 lines of text--so maybe just the story plans?)
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

Well, I simply meant the stories themselves.. everyone sharing the same original inspiration and seeing what different stories could come up. Nothing meant to be published, just for fun and to stretch the mental muscles.

So if we're not allowed to post stories at all, my suggestion is rather pointless.

Nevermind.

NMgal
Member # 2769

- posted      Profile for NMgal   Email NMgal         Edit/Delete Post 
We could always e-mail them among those who participate.

Posts: 97 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ThisProteanSoul
Member # 2882

That'd probably create far too much hassle and no one would bother.
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps someone should mention that there is already a similar exercise in place?

Go check out Mike Muncil's Liberty Hall.
http://www.munsil.net

Register and participate in the FLASH challenge. You are provided a trigger word/image, and everyone creates a story based on the same trigger. It's a lot of fun, and it really challenges you to grow as a writer.

Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
But there's no reason why you couldn't also do it yourself. I'll be glad to tell you how we do things and support you in a challenge of your own. This is all about getting people writing, after all, so why just assume that LH is enough? Perhaps you will come up with something better and we can learn from you!

Let me know.

mikemunsil

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.