Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » The [b]Apocalyptic Taco Mix[/b] Challenge

Author Topic: The [b]Apocalyptic Taco Mix[/b] Challenge
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Write a short story deriving from the phrase "Apocalyptic Taco Mix".

Every willing author drop an "I'm in." post here before October 1st.

All entry stories must be complete on October 31st. No more than 7,000 words; no less than 500. When your story is complete, an only when you've typed the words "The End", you post your first thirteen (I will post a topic for this, reserve any questions for this topic). All challengers will then critique the stories. After they've all been critiqued, tentatively November 7th, then we will vote on the winner.

Who is up for it?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited September 26, 2007).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I'm in!
Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck I'll give it a try,

I mean I'm in.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Hey IB, do you think we should re-advertise this somewhere? The idea started in the middle of a thread, so maybe a bunch of people aren't aware of it. (I certainly never looked in this section before...)
Maybe another post in the 'Open Discussions about Writing' board? It'll be much more fun if there are more than three of us participating...

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not?

It's unfortunate that this area lies dormant. I only heard about it during the last challenge, that was a few months back.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm good for a shot at it. November is getting a little tricky with NaNoWriMo coming up, but I should be finished long before that.

What's the judging/scoring system we're going to use?

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Judging? Scoring? We don't need no steenking judging and scoring!

When you've read them all, post your vote. I suppose I'll have to Post a "Voting" Topic on the seventh.

You can either List them in order of your favorite, or just the one that you think is the best. Winner by tally.

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I like this idea, and encourage further challenges in the future, I just can't commit to it this time round. Good luck, and may the best apocalyptic taco mix win!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vanderbleek
Member # 6535

- posted      Profile for Vanderbleek   Email Vanderbleek         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in...I just jotted down a poem after reading this topic. Now to write the story to go with it...
Posts: 50 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course I'm in, if you're going to give me credit for suggesting it! LOL

Um, but I reserve the right to chicken out later, and be mocked mercilessly.

The Apocalyptic Taco Mix...hrm....I've been noodling on an idea for a post-apocalyptic suburbs story for a long time (you know, armored minivans and the like) and maybe this is the challenge for it. I haven't been able to get the story to take shape for me otherwise.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey I'll try it... sure
Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

- posted      Profile for darklight   Email darklight         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in the middle of an apocalypic novel at the moment, but this sounds like fun. I'll certainly give it a go.
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dee_boncci
Member # 2733

- posted      Profile for dee_boncci   Email dee_boncci         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll give it a shot.
Posts: 612 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wrenbird
Member # 3245

- posted      Profile for wrenbird   Email wrenbird         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in, though for some reason, I feel all nervous.
It's probably my rampant inferiority complex. *shrug*

Posts: 346 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. Bring on the seasonings, this will be fun.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Ten. Ten have accepted the challenge, so far.

One more day.

No cheating!

TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

- posted      Profile for meg.stout   Email meg.stout         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in - apocalyptic...taco...mix...
Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mauvemuse
Member # 5488

- posted      Profile for Mauvemuse   Email Mauvemuse         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to try.
Posts: 39 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
meg.stout
Member # 6193

On the judging, how about we give each voter five points which they could distribute amongst their favorites, e.g.:

Favorite (3 points):

Runner up (1 point):

Runner up (1 point):

Oo - or you could have a point for each story you read, and award those to favorite stories as the reader pleases.

So, simple vote, constrained vote of best and 2 runners up, or open market distribute votes as you please?

Posts: 336 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

Are we going to crit only the first 13 or the entire kit and kaboodle?

If we're doing the whole stories, I suggest that we break into groups and/or have a longer timeline. I know it's entirely possible/likely that not all of us will have stories in by the deadline, but if there are more than say 8 stories on the deadline date...it would probably be a more reasonable time commitment to expect people to read/crit 4 stories in a week, rather than all 8.

Maybe it's just that I read slowly. And write enormously detailed crits.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

meg.stout, too complicated. I didn't really expect this size turnout, but, we can deal with it.

Voting:
List your three favorite in order.
1) Story Name - Author
2) Story Name - Author
3) Story Name - Author
I think that'll do. If I don't make the top three, I don't want to know that I'm number thirteen. (We want to encourage writing, not discourage it.) We'll tally the votes and the winners we be the result of a democratic process.

Read them, KayTi. If you feel the need to point out anything, you can, but, read them enough so you can vote--that's what the deadline is all about. After the voting is done, we can do full critiques (once the thirteen is posted, it's game to be critiqued).

Okay, keep the questions in this post.

Let the challenge begin.

Like LH Challenges, they need only be first drafts. Feel free to hone them according to feedback. On the other hand, if you have taken it all the way to polish in the alloted time, that's great, too!

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited October 01, 2007).]

meg.stout
Member # 6193

Hi IAB,

I live to make things complicated... But then again, my husband designs card games, so I'm used to lots of varied rules.

So does it matter the order of the top three? I assume if someone gets 8 mentions as third favorite story they'd win over someone who only gets 7 mentions but all as favorite story?

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

I'd say, logically, the numbers tell all. If you're story is one that's in my top three, and it's the only story that's in everyone's top three, that petty much means it's the best. Maybe not everyone's favorite, but it has the widest appeal.

The only question that has not arrived is the "Is it okay to vote for yourself?" question. The answer is yes. If you have read everyone else's stories and still feel that yours ranks in the top three, vote for yourself. There's no prize--beyond that of your peers thinking you wrote a decent short story (and having to issue the next trigger) --and thus no reason to cheat. If you prefer not typing your vote for yourself, you can do as follows:

1)
2) His Story
3) Her Story

Or whatever order you feel that you honestly placed in. We'll assume the "blank" represents the place you feel that you deserve.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited October 02, 2007).]

KayTi
Member # 5137

Sorry, 'nother one - read and vote on first 13s only? Or will we distribute the entire stories to the entire group? The logistics were bothering me.

I should shut up and start writing, eh?

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

KayTi said:
quote:

Sorry, 'nother one - read and vote on first 13s only? Or will we distribute the entire stories to the entire group? The logistics were bothering me.

Uh...no. Once 13 lines are posted, that story is ready for the others to read it. You may critique the first thirteen, or you can wait until you've read them all to critique each individual one (in other words: no time limit on full critiques), but, you must vote by the November 7th.
I had no idea that there would be this big a turnout when I originally suggested the critiques be done by the 7th too, so, the full critques don't have a due-date (though I hope everyone involved will get them out A.S.A.P.), just the voting does.

quote:

I should shut up and start writing, eh?

You mean you haven't?

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited October 03, 2007).]

KayTi
Member # 5137

500-7000 words, yeah, you know I work better on a deadline, right? I can do 4k in a night if the muse comes and sits with me, so...not that I'd do that here, but yeah, haven't started.

I've got the elements of my taco mix all set. Trying to create the right geo-political future to place them in. Then someone pointed out to me that there are FOUR horsemen of the apocalypse, not three...so now I need another doomsday event. Ah, the fun of world destruction!

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Those who've finished already (way early):

Are you presenting a first draft, or a polished? There's no rule about letting it cool and sending in a polished piece.

I'll request them, in order, once I've completed my entry.

halogen
Member # 6494

I've run over it twice but it is still pretty rough.

It turns out that my short story wound up fitting in the guidelines of Interzone's Mundane. So I decided to publish early to get some feedback giving me time to flesh it out before submitting it to Interzone.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

Mine's fairly polished; I've had a couple of friends read it over to catch the grammatical nits. I'm sure it could use some feedback, but it's close to done.
meg.stout
Member # 6193

Here are voting rules from another contest at another site:

Winners are determined by total points. Stories receive 3 points each time they're selected as someone's first choice, 2 points each time they're selected as a second choice, and one point each time they're selected as a third choice.

Just an idea.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Are you done writing your entry, yet?

This is more about getting people writing than judging.

Pick your favorite three--in order. That's easy enough. Most votes wins.

meg.stout
Member # 6193

Nope. Not done. I'm writing another piece and have just finished reading/voting on 15 stories at the other site. But I will write the apocalyptic taco piece here in a bit.

I know you've declared we each get three equally weighted ballots, but another voting strategy (from product development) is to give the winner 9 votes, second place 3 votes and third place 1 vote.

Of course, then I would be really depressed when I got 0 votes...

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

You worry too much. This is really a simple thing.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Anyone else even close to done? Deadline's Halloween, you know?

Are you telling me that only three people have stood behind their convictions?

Where are the other 11?

(Guilt getting to you yet?)

darklight
Member # 5213

I'm almost done, IB. They don't call me Last Minute Lou for no reason!
Posts: 626 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

I am arm-wrestling with my story right now, aka the Story That Ate New Mexico. It's at a whopping 5k words and I think I'm only about halfway done.

Which actually means I'm going to restart it and see if I can write a reasonable 4k word story out of the ashes. Like a leaf on the wind....

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

KayTi and darklight send me your stories. halogen, I don't think I got your story. If you haven't gotten a posted story, you may need to email the writer. And writers, if you don't email the other readers, you can't very well win. (Friendly reminder.) I'm going to set up the voting post later today, but tomorrow is for the actual voting.

I hope everyone that entered the challenge has enjoyed themselves, and the deadline rush. I also hope the monthly challenge becomes a staple.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited October 30, 2007).]

darklight
Member # 5213

I have sent my story to all but halogen and KayTi, who do not have a listed e-mail. If the two mentioned send their stories, I will return the mail with mine. If anyone has not recieved the story from me, let me know.

Im waiting to reciece a story from all those who have posted a first thirteen.

halogen
Member # 6494

Yeah, I used to have my email public but I found it was accessible via google searches. It is too bad that emails aren't visible only to people that have logged into the site.

Ahhh.. that should fix it. Email is in my profile

tigertinite
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for tigertinite   Email tigertinite         Edit/Delete Post 
Question about deadline, what time zone are we talking about for the deadline? MST,or what? I am the queen of procrastination but it will be done.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

I am still awaiting stories from Vanderbleek and Talespinner. A gentle reminder! Looking forward to reading. Will there be any last minute entries?
Mauvemuse
Member # 5488

- posted      Profile for Mauvemuse   Email Mauvemuse         Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, so yeah, just finished. Called Tacos and Freshman Year. About 2,000 words. Ok, sent it to everyone but KayTi. KayTi, how do we do this, since I don't want to post my email either?

[This message has been edited by Mauvemuse (edited October 31, 2007).]

Posts: 39 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
darklight
Member # 5213

Hi Mauvemuse, just e-mail your story to everyone who has posted their first thirteen in the 'finsh line' thread. I'll send you mine now, and you can send me yours in return.

Or (since I looked on your profile and you don't have your e-mail listed hehe!) if you e-mail me (and everyone else) yours, I will return the e-mail with mine.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

In case anyone missed it, we've extended the voting. It's posted in the voting thread.

tigertinite and Mauvemuse, I'm glad to see that you've finished. I'm not at the computer that has my story , so I will have to send it out to you two tomorrow.

I'm just stopping in, on the trick-or-treat circuit.

KayTi
Member # 5137

Mauvemuse, this is funny. Umm...darklight, would you mind being our go-between? I know you have my story, and mauvemuse's. You could either forward mine to her and hers to me, or you could just email us both and we can find each other that way. S'allright?

If not I'm sure someone else can. My spam filter overheats on a regular basis, I just have to be careful with where my email is posted. Thanks for the understanding!

halogen
Member # 6494

Moving forward, it might work better if the stories are only sent to the challenge starter and it is his/her responsibility to forward it to everyone once all of the completed stories are in.

Also, it might be fun to have a winner-choose situation. That is, whoever wins this can choose the challenge for next month (or pass to 2nd place etc...)

darklight
Member # 5213

KayTi, not a problem, I'll get that done!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.