Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » 2007 Year's End Contest

Author Topic: 2007 Year's End Contest
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
2007 Year's End Contest

All other announcements and information aside, this is the formal announcement of the 2007 Year's End Contest. This is a short-short story contest, aka a flash story contest.

Eligibility: Anyone who is or becomes a Liberty Hall Writers member before December 10, 2007. If you wish to become a member, please go to http://www.libertyhallwriters.org/lowindex.html and submit via the form; we are having trouble with the link on our main web page.

Schedule:

Writing Period Starts - Today, December 2, 2007, US Central Time, GMT -6.
Submittal Deadline - midnight Sunday, December 9, 2007, US Central Time, GMT -6.
Reading and Voting Period - Monday, December 10, 2007 through noon, Friday, December 14

How to Participate:

1. Writing - You will view a 'trigger' (a writing prompt) of my device. You will then write a story that uses the trigger as an integral part of the story. That is, I must clearly be able to see the relationship to the trigger in your story, or I will declare your submittal ineligible for a prize.

The trigger:

sciamachy - Fighting with a shadow or an imaginary opponent

Story length - The story must be no longer than 1000 words, excluding the title. It may be as short as you wish. Here is the link to the official word counter for the contest http://www.libertyhallwriters.org/forms/wordcount.html .

Use of profanity and otherwise potentially offensive content - Any profanity should be integral to the story. Profanity for the sake of profanity is just boring and will probably be awarded no votes. Bestiality and graphic sex are not encouraged.

2. Submission - You will submit the story to our regular Flash Challenge page http://www.libertyhallwriters.org/stories/ by logging in, then copying and pasting the story into the page. The story MUST be submitted BEFORE midnight Sunday, December 9, 2007, US Central Time, GMT -6.

There will be no Flash Challenge Fiday, December 7.

The story title should be accompanied by the word length and a warning of any potentially offensive content. An example follows:

To Beard a Munsil - 999 words - Potentially Offensive Content

If for any reason the website is down, email me the story BEFORE the cutoff time, to mike dot munsil at gmail dot com.

3. Voting - All submittals will be posted anonymously in a forum. Those which are eligble for prizes will be identified in a poll. Voting commences upon appearance of the stories and ends by noon, Friday, December 14, US Central Time, GMT -6. All members are encouraged to vote. You may vote for your own story.

4. Winning - First place goes to the winner with most votes by simple majority. In the event of a tie for 1st, a LH admin will decide the tie and award a 1st and 2nd place. In the event of a tie for 2nd, a LH admin will decide the tie and award a 3rd place. This will be completed by 10pm US Central Time Friday, December 14, US Central Time, GMT -6.

If you are a winner, please announce your win in the forums so that we can get your prize to you.

5. Awards -

[First place will receive the Sacred Texts Archive on DVD ROM http://www.sacred-texts.com/ .

Second and third places will each win a $US15 gift certificate to Amazon dot com.

Special Sponsorship - Flash Fiction Online!

In addition to the above, your entry will also be reviewed by the editors at Flash Fiction Online
http://flashfictiononline.com/submit.html . They have graciously agreed to let your submissions bypass the slushpile. IF AND ONLY IF the editors find a submission(s) that they like, they will contact an LH admin (keep in mind I am gone from Dec. 15 through Jan 3) and the LH admin will then put the author in touch with Flash Fiction Online. We will have no further involvement.

This is my way to thank you for being members of Liberty Hall; I value your friendship and
participation.

Mike Munsil

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Bump again. Sumbittal starts tomorrow.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Time is running out!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.