Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Let the lines begin (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Let the lines begin
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm. Perhaps it is because I have nothing to brag about that I am biased against it!

I will have a lot of catching up to do.

Still, you are the mod...your spread sheet!

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited April 04, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
skadder, we've only had 2 rounds so far! And the results from this one aren't even in. You'll have plenty of opportunities to catch up, I'm sure.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my proposal.

Starting this week-

All votes will be measured on the points scale.

Each weeks tally will result in a First, Second , and Third place winner. Captain Hook of course is #1

There will also be a Title Winner

Point tallies will be carried on as the weeks progress including Title winners who will recieve 1 vote for every time their title is voted for.

Season totals do not affect weekly competitions.

If you enter but do not vote, You walk the plank and lose Three season points.

To Mods-

outlines go up on friday

Entries can be added to the forum when you have recieved at least four.

Entries close on Wed.

Voting goes until Sat.

Winner and points announced on Sun.

If ye agree, we will have to draft the new rules. we can set up the scoreboard in honour roll.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
Best Title: Stones in the Tide.

1st Pick - Taste the Enemy

2nd Pick - Learning to Fly

3rd Pick - Stones in the Tide

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
1st Place: Entry 24: Blushing Cheeks by I.M. Good: 13 points
2nd Place: Entry 19: Oh, What a Cheek by Prose'R'Us: 11 points

Oh I liked Blushing Cheeks.

"Okay Dogen, these 18 eggs are yours to take care..."
Wannu stopped as he watched Jun crack one of the eggs and dump the contents into the frying pan.
Wannu cleared his throat and restarted. "these 17 eggs are yours to take care of..."

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited April 04, 2008).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
When do days begin and end on the Hatrack River Forum?

K---

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
Best Title: Guardians of the Harvest

First Pick: Entry 11
Second Pick: Entry 8
Third Pick: Entry 13

Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I propose GMT as the time (it's the middle!)--or just let the mod decide. Besides if you leave it up to the wire--well it's your risk-- the mod has a life too, and may need to close something a few hours earlier s they are away for while or something
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Regarding last week's contest--most people just identified the intro they thought was hookiest and so we didn't really get a first second and third place. Do we have to do that now? Same goes for title.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited April 05, 2008).]

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited April 05, 2008).]

Oblomova
Member # 7846

- posted      Profile for Oblomova           Edit/Delete Post 
Is it too late to comment? I hate to enter and not comment, but time rather got away from me this week. Sorry!
Posts: 44 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

We eager await your comments, Oblo. Even if the contest has past I for one would like to know what you thought of mine. Post away.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the voting goes through today anyway. The winner is announced tomorrow I believe.

Snapper, you should have entered with that one. I would have voted you first, second and third!

I also like the idea of the point system and the "scoreboard" thinger.

I would also love to mod, how do I get in on that?

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Let me take care of that for you JIP

Future moderators:
1) Kathyton
2) Snapper
3) Annepin
4) InarticulateBabbler
5) Shimiqua
6) Just in Prose

Hopefully Jeff M will see this see he can edit his post in the new thread.

Editing out bit. Glad you liked it JIP but you're correct, that was wrong, and probably not appropiate for a public forum.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited April 06, 2008).]

Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
OK

best title: Oil and Rain

1st pick: Entry 12
2nd pick: Entry 15

[This message has been edited by Doctor (edited April 05, 2008).]

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

Hahaha! Ok, that is wrong, but very VERY funny. You need to write more comedic stuff.

Boy, I'm kinda far down on that list. I suppose that is good, give me time to master this thing

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

As Far as I can Tell Here goes the results:

Title Master: Skadder- The Devouring Wind- 4pts(Title votes/1ea)

Captain Hook of the Week: Annepin- Sickle Star Rising- 13 pts.

Second Place: Grant John- Untitled- 12 pts.

Third Place:Snapper- Flock of Warriors- 8 pts.
Points Board
Entry 1: Skadder- The Devouring Wind-6pts. ****
Entry 2: Alliedfive- Stones in the Tide- 7 pts. ***
Entry 3: Oblomova- Untitled- 2 pts.
Entry 4: Snapper- Flock of Warriors- 8 pts.
Entry 5: Benttree- Guardians of the Harvest- 4 pts **
Entry 6: JustinProse- Wannu's last Cheek- 3pts.
Entry 7: GrantJohn- Untitled- 12 pts.
Entry 8: Kathyton- Taste the Enemy- 5 pts.
Entry 9: Annepin- Sickle Star Rising- 13 pts. **
Entry 10 InarticulateBabbler- The Butcher's Bill- 3 pts. *
Entry 11 Shimiqua- Faces of Death- 3 pts.
Entry 12 MorwenElda- Flight of the Cheekatrice- 4 pts
Entry 13 Tiergan- Dogens Death- 1 pt
Entry 14 JeffM- Learning to Fly- 2pt.
Entry 15 Raythe- Oil and Rain- 5 pts. *

If someone wouldn't mind double checking the stats to make sure I tallied correctly, then We can Post this in Roll of Honour.

I didn't count one vote for a third pick by shimiqua because voted for self.

I was going to make Babbler walk the plank for not voting, but he is at a trade show.

* astericks are title votes

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited April 06, 2008).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if there is a tendency for the earlier entries to collect points because readers find one they like and sort of "make up their mind" and end up glazing over the rest to cast their vote.

It would be an interesting trend to keep tabs on.

Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

They seem to be evenly distributed. Except the leaders. Annepin was right in the middle.
skadder
Member # 6757

Well done to the mod--Bent Tree--excellent job especially with the big turn out.

Well done the winners.

annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Shiver me timbers! A girl returns from a few day's break and what happens? She gets crowned (hatted?) Capt'n!

I won by such a slim margin I almost think I don't deserve it. Everyone's entries were so awesome. I can't wait to see next week's. Arrrr, me mateys!

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Congratulations. Now you have to hold on to your hat and your spoils without a mutiny, Arrgh!
snapper
Member # 7299

Congrats Cap'n. Nice job. GrantJohn is your first mate, I guess that makes him Smedley.
Grant John
Member # 5993

- posted      Profile for Grant John   Email Grant John         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats Annepin *holds out hands for shake* Truly a well earned victory. Can't wait for the next week :-)
Posts: 181 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

I'm off to swab the poop decks...

"A pirates life for me..." *Whistles*

kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats, Annepin, as well as the runner ups.

And congrats to the whole crew of participants for putting themselves out there!

K-----

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I see there are no posts for entries for this week yet--normally a few by now--I hope that doesn't mean people aren't participating.
snapper
Member # 7299

It could be Jeff is just waiting for awhile. It's only monday
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, don't worry, we have a few entries for the next round already. I'll put them up later tonight.

Congratulations, annepin, on winning this round. Now you'll have to keep an eye out for ticking crocodiles. I picked yours as my favourite, but there were certainly a number of others that came close. This is a talented group... I'm learning much.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.