Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » First 13 Challenge #7 Entries (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: First 13 Challenge #7 Entries
AnnaN
Member # 7932

- posted      Profile for AnnaN   Email AnnaN         Edit/Delete Post 
(AnnaN, you should have left it, you were tied.)

Well, darn it, that’ll teach me to vote again. (I would include a fancy smiley face, but I don’t know how.)

Congratulations to all of the winners.

IB
I don’t often read historical fiction and I’m not very knowledgeable about weapons, but here is my 2cents anyway. It’s not that I didn’t have any idea what these items were; it was that I only had a vague idea (actually your descriptions confirmed that my assumptions were correct for the most part). Because I was unsure of several items mentioned in your 13, I found myself pausing and wondering if what I was imagining was correct, instead of getting into the story. But it sounds like your target reader would have a firm grasp on the period, so those details would enrich their experience. I’m wondering if there is a way to satisfy the seasoned historical fiction readers, while making it accessible enough to entice the less knowledgeable readers.

Posts: 10 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AnnaN
Member # 7932

- posted      Profile for AnnaN   Email AnnaN         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, I made a fancy smiley face! I guess I knew how to make one after all.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't the results going to be posted in Captain Hook's Roll of Honour?

*nudge* IB

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
No. snapper's posting the results everywhere else.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

B) How do you do the sunglasses IB?

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 17, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Skadder, click on the edit button for IB's post and you will see what he did to create the sunglasses.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks Kathleen. What an idiot I am!
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, skadder. What idiot are you?

I figured you just didn't know. Ignorance is when you don't know and you ask. Idiot-ness is when you don't know and you don't bother to ask. Ignorance can be cured. I'm not so sure about idiot-ness.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I am an idiot because I knew you could look at someones original text (edit post) and that the code would obviously be there. I just didn't put the two things together. So I guess, in answer to question I am a dislocated idiot.

Besides I have wondered about it for a while. So I fulfill the not asking aspect too.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 17, 2008).]

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Well, at least we can hope that you are a bit more of an enlightened one.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

How do you do the sunglasses IB?

Well, I won them from Lando Calrissian in the same ill-fated poker game that he lost that old freighter to Han Solo...

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

So you were the guy with his face on his stomach and four sets of limbs. It's all coming back to me now...

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 19, 2008).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Yeah...and if you had an eye anywhere but your posterior, you'd have traded the card when I gave the signal, and you'd have the sunglasses and I'd have the Millennium Falcon.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Ahem!
skadder
Member # 6757

I'd take something for that sore throat, Kathleen--sounds nasty.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

*Whistles innocently*
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.