Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » first 13 synopsis ideas

Author Topic: first 13 synopsis ideas
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
*tiptoes in*
I peeked in at the other topic and was scared to death by all the scurrying, pole vaulting and pogo sticking going on, so I came here, where it was nice and quiet, to ask how people come up with their synopsis ideas.
Suppose I wanted to moderate someday...Would it be completely unethical to take part of the backstory from the novel I'm working on and use it as a synopsis?
*tiptoes away*

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't do that. I could go on and on listing many reasons (some more sound than others) but the simplist reason is, don't put your stories into the competition.

Remember, the idea doesn't have to be the best thing in the world. It doesn't have to be extremely intricate. It's the writers job to make it sound good.

(Intricate and the best thing in the world are appreciated)

As for the synopsis, just brainstorm like you would for any other story. I started with something I wanted to see written about. I wanted to see how people would write a blind POV. That is where it started.

Good luck and I hope you do moderate.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
There is absolutely nothing wrong with including your story ideas as part of your synopsis. In fact, it might be a very interesting (and perhaps useful) way to get or expand on your existing ideas. Though, I wouldn't announce it was part of your work in progress.

The only "problem" is the forseeable risk that if we like what we see, we just might steal it and beat you to the punch. You may assess that risk for yourself.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I used the synopsis I used when I was mod. I have expanded it and currently have a draft I am about to submit once I revise and edit.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

...so I came here, where it was nice and quiet, to ask how people come up with their synopsis ideas.

1) I would never give an idea that I was working on away. If you like the idea enough to breed a story from it, keep it to yourself--because someone will definitely steal it (intentionally or not).

2) I explored a possible character-story first, then sought a speculative element in a different genre (The Hundred Years War plus Horror=my synposis).

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.