Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » First 13 Challenge # 9 - Synopsis

Author Topic: First 13 Challenge # 9 - Synopsis
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Deadline: All entries will be posted sometime Thursday, so please have them in no later than midnight, Wednesday May 25th.

Mailing Format: Email to merryfield (at) shaw.ca with "First 13" and your Hatrack Nick in the subject line. (This will allow me to run a search through my email.)

The polls will close the following Tuesday at approx. noon, with results posted that evening.

Rules:

• You can begin the story from any chronological part of the synopsis.

• Ensure it is only 13 lines. Read this thread for instructions on how to be certain.

• Any details not specified in the plan can be made up as long as they do not SERIOUSLY alter the story.

• Include all italic and bold formatting code in the text so the moderator can just cut and paste the text when he/she posts them.

• Remember, this contest is ABOUT mastering the hook--so have one.

• When you have finished email it to the moderator (by WEDNESDAY). The moderator will then assign it a number and record the authors name next to it. The moderator will then post it with the number only, not the name, in a separate thread from the story outline thread as he/she receives them.

*PLEASE don’t look at what other people have done until after you have sent yours to the moderator.*

• Edit your work before sending it—no corrections will be made after it has been emailed, and email it only once. Put your HATRACK name at the top of the 13 lines, the moderator will remove it before he posts it, replacing it with a number.

• From Thursday onward voting/analysis can begin. Vote for the first, second, and third place entries, as well as best title. Winner is judged to the the entry accumulating the most points given that a first place vote is worth 3 points, a second place vote is worth 2 points, and a third place vote is worth 1 point. Title contest is strictly majority rules. **No voting for yourself**

Then a new moderator volunteers (it’s not much work--unless you consider creating the outline difficult) and then we start again.

Future moderators

1) Bent Tree
2) Doctor

Any volunteers I've missed? Any new volunteers?

Synopsis:

quote:
The sign on your door reads “Sam Hollinsbeck, Private Investigator”. There’s not much of a living to be made in the ruins of old San Francisco, now that most of the old money is living further inland, but you make out fine enough if you keep the shipping companies and the cops on your side. The office rent is paid on time and there’s always a new bottle of scotch to open once the current one runs out. The jobs aren’t sexy—mostly courier work, some witness acquisition, menial stuff—but just this past week, things took a turn for the better.

On a dreary morning three days ago, you rolled off of your couch in a drunken stupor and saw an envelope near the door of your office, lying on the floor. In it you found a wad of cash and the picture of a woman with a note to find her within 48 hours. The amount of cash itself was enough to grab your attention, but the picture is what held it. You’d seen this dame somewhere before. Her eyes were like coal, her hair shorn short and untidy, and her cheekbones were high, skin stretched tight across them like wax paper over a plum. She was the kind of woman you’d probably call ugly the next morning but dollface over a martini. You tried to shake your head clear as you walked over to your desk to make a few calls, but the idea that you knew here from somewhere just wouldn’t let go.

Just as you reached for the phone, it rang of its own accord. There was a woman on the other end, with a voice that rang a bell in your head. She has a job for you, and from the tone of her voice it's not the kind of job you're apt to refuse. Still, there's something about her voice that's familiar...

Jayson Merryfield

(Edited to remove my over-writing.)

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited May 23, 2008).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Jayson,

I am slightly unclear about this.

You have essentially done the 13 lines of the story where it gets interesting--sort of takes the wind from my sails--although establishes a voice.
Is this the 'character' based synopsis that you spoke about?
Are you asking us to find a place to start before this phone call? Or can we start later, essentially making up the next bit? e.g She could be a ninja assassin? or do you mean for us to carry on after your 13 lines?

I am sorry I am not trying to be pain--but no doubt am--butyour inclusion of actual prose has thrown me a bit.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 23, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. I love it, really do, but I'm also confused. Whats the rules with this one?

Same as always? Pick anywhere and just write?

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Moderators:

1) Bentree
2) Doctor
3) Unless there is someone before me: skadder.

I think the problem is that I have no idea where the story is going.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

- posted      Profile for Jeff M   Email Jeff M         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been around much over the past week (so if this has already been proposed, just move along, nothing to see here...), but I like the idea of doing the NEXT 13 lines. i.e. start right where Jayson ends and continue the story. More of an extended intro, rather than the absolute beginning, but an interesting exercise. Whaddya think?

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I have no problems with that, just as it stands I feel a little confused.
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

I've edited it a bit, pulled out the dialogue. Maybe it was a bit much. I was trying to set some tone and atmosphere as well as provide you all with enough info to start this well. Hopefully it doesn't feel like I'm still stepping on other people's toes. Basically you're a PI in a semi-future San Francisco after it is nearly destroyed by a major quake, and have been offered two jobs, each stimulating an old memory.

Go forth and narrate.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I haven't been around much over the past week (so if this has already been proposed, just move along, nothing to see here...), but I like the idea of doing the NEXT 13 lines. i.e. start right where Jayson ends and continue the story. More of an extended intro, rather than the absolute beginning, but an interesting exercise. Whaddya think?

I am not opposed. If you are up for the challenge give it a go by establishing a new thread with rules and such, as has been done with this challenge.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Moderators:

1) Bentree
2) Doctor
3) Unless there is someone before me: skadder.
4) Likewise: Annepin. This is my second time, so those who've never done it before please feel free to bump yourselves ahead of me.

It's not a matter of stepping on toes. it's more that you've left us little choice where to start the story, because you've only given us the obvious opening. Furthermore, you've written it pretty darn well! What can we do? This feels more like a prompt to write an entire book. I love it, I just don't know what to do with it, for the purposes of this challenge.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited May 23, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

quote:
If you are up for the challenge give it a go by establishing a new thread with rules and such, as has been done with this challenge.

Actually, I meant as part of this week's existing challenge, just doing a continuation from Jayson's excellent opening. I was curious how different authors would write basically the same scene.

Anyway, now that the synopsis has been modified to a more traditional synopsis, it's business as usual.

Posts: 159 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
RE: Submitting 13 lines --- no more, no less. Exactly 13

I've stopped cramming everything into a block of type, followed the directions on the link, and don't have Firefox, but I still lose a line after posting.

Does the title count as a line? (Maybe that's my problem.)

K--

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
illiterate
Member # 7997

- posted      Profile for illiterate   Email illiterate         Edit/Delete Post 
ok, ok, my arm hurts........

1) Bentree
2) Doctor
3) illiterate
4) Unless there is someone before me: skadder.
5) Likewise: Annepin. This is my second time, so those who've never done it before please feel free to bump yourselves ahead of me.

Posts: 52 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Bentree
2) Doctor
3) illiterate
4) Unless there is someone before me: skadder.
5) Likewise: Annepin. This is my second time, so those who've never done it before please feel free to bump yourselves ahead of me.
6) JustInProse (I'll have it ready this time)

Also, I thought there was another list of these? I'll try and find it.

Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

1)Grex42 - Skipped
2)Wolfe_Boy - This week
3)Bent Tree
4)Doctor
5)Tiergan
6)JustInProse

This is the list at the end of the week #8 synopsis. So with a ltitle magic...it becomes

1) Bentree
2) Doctor
3) Tiergan
4) illiterate
5) Unless there is someone before me: skadder.
6) Likewise: Annepin. This is my second time, so those who've never done it before please feel free to bump yourselves ahead of me.
7) JustInProse (I'll have it ready this time)

This should be the new list. I'm ok with getting bumped down a bit, as I need to make sure I have it ready before hand :P

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
So, he's got two jobs? From two different girls?
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeff M
Member # 7828

quote:
So, he's got two jobs? From two different girls?

Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

quote:
It's not a matter of stepping on toes. it's more that you've left us little choice where to start the story, because you've only given us the obvious opening. Furthermore, you've written it pretty darn well! What can we do? This feels more like a prompt to write an entire book. I love it, I just don't know what to do with it, for the purposes of this challenge.

Okay, my bad..... I can think of a few different places to start, but I admit it might be kind of limiting. If I can get three votes for it, I'll toss up a new synopsis that might be a little more malleable. I don't think this should be a big problem, as I haven't received any submissions yet and it is still Friday where I am.

Any hands?

Jayson Merryfield

illiterate
Member # 7997

- posted      Profile for illiterate   Email illiterate         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't have anything against what you have, but I'm always up for the next best thing, so I'd vote one "yea" for the new synopsis..

I will say, that writing something where you're not comfortable or completely guided could be good practice....

... I'm going to ride the fence on this thing....either way is fine.

Posts: 52 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Jayson, I like the idea of a noir-style futuristic detective, my only real problem is that he doesn't actually have a conflict. And I was hoping that is would be something that takes away from the automatically-cliche tone/beginning "she walked into my office/called/slipped me a mickey". I'd love to see him being hired by the clone/android copy of a woman, who was studying her to murder her and take her place...hm........
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

So, if my 13 lines has something to do with a clone am I gonna get hated?

:P

(Where was the e-mail about this clone thing! World domination is a team effort...or subordinate effort.)

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does the title count as a line?

If I can tell it's a title, I don't count it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I vote 'yes'--it's a great start, but that is how it feels--it doesn't feel like an outline which should be more like notes--not prose itself.

Adam

kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
In best interest of the project, I'm going to say, yes, please provide a new (or edited version of this one) prompt.

While I think we could ignore your wonderful prose and invent internal and external conflict and motivations for the characters, I suspect many people will be discouraged from trying, and the number of entries will drop off.

K-- *over the shoulder, as she goes to revise her piece for coffee shop writing group in the morning* arrhhh

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
*Sigh* I wrote my first 13 yesterday and then let it sit. Thank goodness!

Guess I'll go see what you've got in 9.5...

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.