Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » First 13 Challenge #9.5 - Synopsis

Author Topic: First 13 Challenge #9.5 - Synopsis
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
***This is a new synopsis for Week #9. Any submissions using either synopsis as a starting point will be accepted and judged against one another. Keep in mind, the requirement is for the FIRST 13, not the second, in relation to the previous synopsis.***

Deadline: All entries will be posted sometime Thursday, so please have them in no later than midnight, Wednesday May 25th.

Mailing Format: Email to merryfield (at) shaw.ca with "First 13" and your Hatrack Nick in the subject line. (This will allow me to run a search through my email.)

The polls will close the following Tuesday at approx. noon, with results posted that evening.

Rules:

• You can begin the story from any chronological part of the synopsis.

• Ensure it is only 13 lines. Read this thread for instructions on how to be certain.

• Any details not specified in the plan can be made up as long as they do not SERIOUSLY alter the story.

• Include all italic and bold formatting code in the text so the moderator can just cut and paste the text when he/she posts them.

• Remember, this contest is ABOUT mastering the hook--so have one.

• When you have finished email it to the moderator (by WEDNESDAY). The moderator will then assign it a number and record the authors name next to it. The moderator will then post it with the number only, not the name, in a separate thread from the story outline thread as he/she receives them.

*PLEASE don’t look at what other people have done until after you have sent yours to the moderator.*

• Edit your work before sending it—no corrections will be made after it has been emailed, and email it only once. Put your HATRACK name at the top of the 13 lines, the moderator will remove it before he posts it, replacing it with a number.

• From Thursday onward voting/analysis can begin. Vote for the first, second, and third place entries, as well as best title. Winner is judged to the the entry accumulating the most points given that a first place vote is worth 3 points, a second place vote is worth 2 points, and a third place vote is worth 1 point. Title contest is strictly majority rules. **No voting for yourself**

Then a new moderator volunteers (it’s not much work--unless you consider creating the outline difficult) and then we start again.

Future moderators

1) Bentree
2) Doctor
3) Tiergan
4) illiterate
5) skadder.
6) Annepin.
7) JustInProse

Synopsis:

quote:
1258 AD. Baghdad is the center of educated civilization. Scholars from across the Islamic world have flocked to the fabled Round City for centuries to participate in one of the most educated, liberal, advanced societies the world would had yet seen, or would see again for many centuries. The caliphs have ruled fairly and honorably, though in recent years there has been some political strife and confusion. In this year, the Mongolian army, 120,000 men strong, appeared before the gates of the city and, when their demands for surrender were rebuffed, they attacked and decimated the city. Over a million Islamic souls passed through the gates of night in that battle, most of the population of the city, and the buildings and structures themselves were ground under the boot of Mongolian tyranny into so much dust and rubble.

Escaping from the dust of the battle, two old men hurried down a narrow tunnel beneath the Golden Gate Palace. They carried between them a large box, in which resided the Crystal of Abu Bakr, first of the caliphs. The crystal, an unadorned gem taken during the Ridda Wars and set in a plain gold necklace, has been secretly passed from caliph to caliph as a memento of the first mighty victories of the Islamic Empire. Myth and legend among the highest of the Abbasid scholars tell that the crystal was a sign of Allah’s protection over and defense of the Muslim people. At the sign of sure defeat before the Mongol horde, the caliph Al-Musta'sim sent the crystal into hiding, until such a time as a hero of all Islamic people will rise and reclaim the caliphate and unite all Islamic people everywhere.

2008 AD. As Baghdad suffers under the weight of a second invading force, and Shi’a and Sunni militias fight openly in the streets against both American forces and one another, rumors of the crystal’s final hiding place surface.

The players:

John Meechum: Independent Photojournalist. Has made his living working independent of official security arrangements and pursuing his own investigations. In 30 years on the job, he has been nominated for a Pullitzer on multiple occasions, never winning.

Staff Sergeant Carol Patterson: A career Marine, she find herself in charge of a patrol in the Al-Baya section of Baghdad, a calm and relatively low-risk assignment. Tensions have been high in recent weeks as the fighting moves closer, but still, she finds herself bored.

Ayad Lafta: A successful Sunni merchant. Shi’a insurgents destroyed his store, and his family has fled to relative safety living with relatives in a small town in southern Iraq. He has remained behind in Baghdad due to dreams he has been having recently that make him feel that he needs to be here in Baghdad, that something large is coming that he is to be a part of.

Ali al-Suwaji: Shiite militiaman. Leads a small group of fanatical soldiers, and himself is devoted to Sayyid Muqtada al-Sadr. He has had visions in recent weeks, waking dreams of a weapon of unlimited power, and has seen a man wielding it. Though he hasn’t seen the man’s face, he knows the man is Muqtada al-Sadr, and is driven to find this weapon and bring it to his beloved leader.

Oof.... that's a big one. Sorry. I hope it's more open ended for everyone, and not overwhelmingly big.

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited May 24, 2008).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
Wish I'd waited! -bump-
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

For this week it would probably be okay to make two separate submissions, I would think.

Sorry about the delay. This outline I had to come up with from scratch, whereas I had a while to build the other one.

Jayson Merryfield

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
W_b, this is great! Did you really make it from scratch? I'm impressed! Thanks for posting a second synopsis.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not so sure about people having two entries. It would mean they have the chance of coming first and second--and a greater chance of coming first. For it to be fair everyone would have to send in two entries.

I have no problem with people choosing the synopsis they prefer,but I would vote for one entry per person.

Adam

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JustInProse
Member # 7872

- posted      Profile for JustInProse   Email JustInProse         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with adam, one entry.
Posts: 189 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
illiterate
Member # 7997

- posted      Profile for illiterate   Email illiterate         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with the duo above... one entry only- and....

you outdid yourself on this synopsis!

Posts: 52 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
W_B, the prompt is wonderful. Very nice job on short notice.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Date confusion. Are the entries due on the 25th (yeterday) or wednesday (the 27th). Your rules say wednesday May 25th. Surely you don't mean 2010, which is when the next May 25th falls on a wednesday.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Sharp as always, snapper...although is 'yeterday' the day after tomorrow?
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Sorry, calendar error.

Due date is WEDNESDAY, MAY 28.

Jayson Merryfield

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited May 26, 2008).]

skadder
Member # 6757

So you aren't posting any until Thursday? We gotta wait?
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Yes, I was going to wait until Wednesday to begin posting.

Speaking of which, I've received only three entries so far this week. Considering I had more than three requests for a second synopsis, I hope that a few more entries will begin pouring into my inbox post haste.

Jayson Merryfield

skadder
Member # 6757

You'll get more.
illiterate
Member # 7997

- posted      Profile for illiterate   Email illiterate         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to be clear, you aren't posting until Thursday right, so we have all day Wednesday to get these to you?
Posts: 52 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Yes, you have Wednesday to submit still.... I will begin posting them on Wednesday, most likely later in the evening Edmonton time, but any entries I have in my email inbox on Thursday morning will also qualify for this weeks contest.

Jayson Merryfield

Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

Well, we're up to seven entries total, at 10PM Wednesday night.... Last call, all aboard!

I'll begin posting shortly.

Jayson Merryfield

Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I am on deck. Should I post the new synopsis next week or this Friday?
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Yes, pilot (I think that would be the title for someone who steers the ship instead of the CAPTAIN.). Friday--today.

Don't forget to post the up-to-date list of moderators.

Adam

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 30, 2008).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.