Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Scoring

Author Topic: Scoring
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I have decide to alter the scoring method following a discussion a few weeks ago.The point of the discussion was that sometimes it is difficult to seperate the first three because they are almost equally good in the eyes of the judge. Using the method below, if something is a clear winner it will still win, but if otherwise the difference will slighter. Sometimes two intros are so close that a 33% or 50% more points (3,2,1) doesn't reflect how you feel. So...

Pick one= 5 points.
pick two= 4 points.
pick three= 3 points.

This reduces the advantage of 1st place a little and increases the chances of an intro that features in everyone's top 3 of winning, i.e is more generally popular. It should make for a more interesting situation when tallying votes.

We will use this system from and including week ten (e.g NOW). Votes for best title remain the same.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited June 13, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doctor
Member # 7736

- posted      Profile for Doctor   Email Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
That's pretty good, I like that.
Posts: 187 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
illiterate
Member # 7997

- posted      Profile for illiterate   Email illiterate         Edit/Delete Post 
I like and agree with this also. Question though- does that mean that we have 12 points to assign freely among the top three stories of our choosing, or is this how the Winners will have points distributed to them?

Just need some clarification.

Posts: 52 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
The points will be distributed as identified above (#1 = 5 points, #2 = 4 points, #3 = 3 points). I know there was a argument for allowing people to distribute a certain amount of points as they saw fit, and though I agree with that point of view I also wish to keep it simple. I felt this method addressed the main issue while maintaining simplicity.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited June 14, 2008).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.