Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Ready for Market -- August (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Ready for Market -- August
kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, that's right --- Andromeda Spaceways In Flight Magazine. I'm not from Australia, but they're kind to us Yanks.

It's a good market -- they publish fun stories (PDFs available for download) and have an easy submission process--very transparent. You can track it on their website. I had another story almost get published with them.

Also, thanks for the crit, Snapper. Considering the restriction of flash length and the letter format, I'm happy with these marks.

Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kathyton
Member # 7780

- posted      Profile for kathyton   Email kathyton         Edit/Delete Post 
and yes, I'll submit it for September. Fresh eyes will help, I think.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Doc Brown
Member # 1118

- posted      Profile for Doc Brown   Email Doc Brown         Edit/Delete Post 
Talespinner's "The Intelligent Creationist"

It was my pleasure to read this amusing tale of science, politics, and deceit. Sorry I didn't get this posted last week, but my month was filled with a charity bike ride.

1 character development 2 (Pretty good, but of the five characters the two antagonists are the most interesting.)

2 plot 1 (Tension does not rise. The peak of tension is at the beginning of the story when the protagonists hatch their scheme, but it should come as the drugs wear off.)

3 satisfactory ending 2 (It was a good ending. I was glad you gave one of the better developed characters the last line.)

4 milieu 2 (The milieu was a clever cliche. The use of rapeseed allowed it to rise above a 1. But this wasn't a milieu story, so don't let that bother you.)

5 willing suspension of disbelief 3 (I liked your first 13, but actually the rest of the story was better. The first 13 seemed like unrealistic dialog while the rest of the story was smoother and much more believable.)

6 unique/never been done before 1 (The strength of this story is that it does in 2600 words what a lesser author would do it 7500. But it's very difficult to do a unique story on a hotbutton political issue.)

7 writing style 2 (Make the intro a little less contrived and this could be a 3.)

8 dialogue 2 (Dialog was okay. Molly got the best lines.)

9 action 1 (The story has very no action, but this is not an action story.)

10 understandable ("I get it") 3 (No question on clarity.)

Story overall: 2 (I believe the scope of the publication that wants this story equals the scope of the plot. That is, if the setting is a small town then a small publication will want it. If you make it a national political conflict then a national publication will want it.)

Posts: 976 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Doc, much appreciated.

Pat

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.