Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » The 2009 13 line hook challenge entries #1

Author Topic: The 2009 13 line hook challenge entries #1
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Entry # 1

The Rubbish King

Jim coughed—well, more or less gagged—and looked accusingly at the bottle of whiskey on the sideboard. It sat there, innocent and gaudy, looking more like an expensive perfume bottle than anything else. Perfume would have tasted better.
He flicked his watering eyes over to Alfie. That lying bastard. A diplomatic gift to celebrate Sealand's centennial, my ass. Prince Alfred obviously brewed it himself in the biofuel still. Jim fished out an ice cube and chucked it at his head.
"You wanker," said Alfie. "What the hell?" He sat back and straightened the shirt of his pansy uniform. The dandy Prince looked just as ridiculous as his bottle of booze. Commander of a nine-man army. Sovereign of a semi-sovereign state. He was a thing of beauty. Jim pegged him hard with another ice cube

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Entry # 2

Title: A Childhood's Dream

Commander Everett never imagined he would be given the orders to destroy Sealand. The tiny island nation had served up his first taste of unattainable information, the expensive games and videos that his family could never afford to buy. He focused his attention, searching for recent newsbursts about Sealand but found nothing to explain these orders, only wisps comparing the pirate nation's deteriorating infrastructure to the decline of the internet. How many people lived on the decrepit, artificial island? What had they done? He pulled out of information space and looked out the open window across the stormy sea. The air was crisp and clean, filled with raucous croaks of the gulls and a faint smell of dead fish.
He couldn't see the twin concrete pillars that supported Sealand, but he could see the gunships in the harbor, prows pointed toward the ocean. Awaiting his command.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 03, 2009).]

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Entry 3

The Last Superpower

The UNIT in Boris Newitsky’s head chirped. Most people were still getting use to the latest technological induced inner sense and needed to stop when a link chimed in. Boris had no problem accessing the tiny computer in his head as he continued on with his stroll. The UNIT opened his optical connection and flashed a blue alert in his view.
Type-one weaponry, located. 85% certainty. Source, Internet.
“Nuclear Miss…” He clammed up, forgetting that he didn’t need to speak aloud for his link to hear him. Show Me.
Appearing like two ghost in the plaza in his vision stood two people that looked like revelers at a Madi Gras celebration. Behind them stood a genuine Russian R-39 nuclear missile.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited January 02, 2009).]

snapper
Member # 7299

Entry # 4

The Man Who Would Be Emperor

"Alfie, old boy, this is madness. I don't trust this Russian." said Jim, mouthing around his hashish pipe. Although a cabinet member, he felt comfortable addressing the Prince familiarly. They had been raised together, after all.

Prince Alfred Bates gazed out the window at the placid expanse of the North Sea. The pontoon base, towers, and deck that comprised the Principality of Sealand rocked gently with the waves. "Jim, we have to do this." said Alfred with conviction. "Our nation needs respect. And we need land to expand, to grow. This blessing of the North Sea it will make it so."

"That's imperialism, Alfred. Do you know what they did to the last imperialist?" said Jim, his voice rising. "I'll give you a hint: Saddam Hussein! That was sixty years ago. No one's tried it since."

snapper
Member # 7299

Entry # 5

Fractured Lines

Jim leaned back, eyes half closed. The heavy bass pulsated through the floor in time with the torrid sea smashing into the concrete pillars of the tiny isle. Stephanie’s long legs were wrapped tightly around the pole rising from the small stage, lights dancing over her bare flesh.

Albert didn’t know what he had. Prince of a kingdom, no matter how large, or small, as in the case of this two pillared-city in the sea, was nothing compared to Stephanie’s heart.

A crash ripped through the building rocking it beneath them, sending Jim to the floor. The lights flickered, went out, then flared back to life as the emergency generator fought against the rising storm. Stephanie rose to her knees, blood trickling from the corner of her mouth. “What the hell was that?”

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited January 03, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited January 03, 2009).]

snapper
Member # 7299

Entry # 6

Thirteen Days in October

Prince Alfred Bates looked at his cabinet ministers. His eyes were narrow and his jaw was set.
"So what are we to do?"
The Finance Minister spoke up. "Given the financial situation, I think it's imperative that we—"
The Prince interrupted him. "I'm not talking about money. I understand about the money. I'm talking about something that's more valuable than money."
The Finance Minister paled at the blasphemy.
The Prince continued, his voice rising. "I'm talking about character and pride. I'm talking about respect. I'm talking about common f***ing courtesy."
The room was silent for a moment.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited January 03, 2009).]

snapper
Member # 7299

Entry # 7

The Seal that Roared

Banners hung from the archways, flags flapped in the evening breeze, and webcams were set to broadcast. It was Sealand’s centennial and Prince Alfred had decreed that each and every Sealander must gather to celebrate. All 57 of them were there.

As the trumpets sounded, Sir Jim, Commander of the Royal Navy and owner of Jim’s Aquatic Supplies, ignited the fuse to the centennial fireworks array. Suddenly, with an enormous thud, the man-made island tilted and the elaborate mound of fireworks slid across the polished deck, crashed through the railing, and plunged into the sea with a loud plop and a huge puff of smoke.

Princess Stephanie, adorned in her finest leather and fur, held on and watched in dismay as the plume of smoke enveloped them.

Prince Alfred began cursing and became most improperly animated.

snapper
Member # 7299

Times up!

For all the new players, remember to vote for your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place along with favorite title. You are free to comment on all the submits if you like. Remember, don't vote for your own. You are free to comment on your own but don't let anyone know it's yours.

All are free to vote, even those that didn't play this week.

Good luck!

snapper
Member # 7299

As the moderator, I don't usually go first, but since this is mine and the first one of the year, I thought it best if I kick off the comments.

Entry # 1 The Rubbish King

I won’t be surprised if I’m the only one to feel this way but I think this one has a very, very, sharp hook. The characters are just like I envisioned them, young men that still act like boys. I found this funny and an excellent place to start.

Entry # 2 A Childhood's Dream

Not bad. A little info-dumpy but I liked it enough to read on. A Navy Commander confused about orders to attack a concrete platform. Nice descriptions on the smells in the air.

Entry # 3 The Last Superpower

This one is different. I am wondering how this UNIT works. The last line is the hook for me.

Entry # 4 The Man Who Would Be Emperor

Liked the title. A bit of conflict showing in the first 13. That helps a hook.

Entry # 5 Fractured Lines

Good place to start, the sub crashing into the pillars. If I didn’t know what the synopsis was, I probably wouldn’t know what is going on. That last paragraph has a very sharp hook for me. I would read on just to know what the crash was about.

Entry # 6 Thirteen Days in October

Good title. Has a nice tie in with the Cuban missile crisis, which is what the story would shape up to be. This early 13 sounds like an ordinary nations cabinet, Belguim, Sweden, or even England, is discussing a possible crisis. I could see the author dropping in that this so-called nation is really an abandon WWII base occupied by frat boy world power wannabe’s in the next paragraph. I like it.

All well done. Good job everybody. Now for my choices.

Best Title Entry # 4 The Man Who Would Be Emperor

First Entry # 1 The Rubbish King

Second Entry # 6 Thirteen Days in October

Third Entry # 5 Fractured Lines

Tough choices for me. I’m looking forward to the next one.

Edited to add.

Entry #7 The Seal That Roared

This is funny and a great place to start. Nice job, sorry I over looked it when I did the crit (some moderator I am). Although I liked the title and the submission, it didn't quite unseat the order that I made, although it was very close to taking third and making me swap out my favorite title.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited January 07, 2009).]

rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Entry #1: The Rubbish King

Good start. I like this one a lot, and it continues to grow on me. I'm going to take a look at this one. Not thrilled with the title, though.

Entry #2: A Childhood's Dream

Too much of an info dump. Plus it's coming from the guy who's supposed to be carrying out the orders. Those guys usually don't have a whole lot of internal conflict regarding orders. I'm going to pass on this one.

Entry #3: The Last Superpower

Boris knows how to use his UNIT (ummm...just keep moving on), but he forgets he doesn't need to speak back to it? (again, let's just move on) Having said that, I'm kinda in the middle on this one. Not sure to pass or not so I'll give it another few paragraphs. Which I guess is the point.

Entry #4: The Man Who Would Be Emperor

Sealand's rocking gently with the waves? I'm not buying that. Plus I'm not one for imparting today's current events into a story of the future, unless it's absolutely necessary. I'm going to pass on this one.

Entry #5: Fractured Lines

I'm not much for the second paragraph. Yeah, Jim loves Stephanie, but it seems to be a bit heavy-handed here. It does get us into the action so I'll probably give it another few paragraphs.

Entry #6: Thirteen Days in October

Not bad, but not sure that I'll read much further. Don't really know much of anything at this point, other than Tony Soprano seems to be the ruler of some kingdom. But I'll give it a few more paragraphs.

Entry #7: The Seal that Roared

Nothing wrong with using a variation of a Peter Sellers movie, and it immediately tells me what kind of story this is going to be. It gets off to a good start. I'm going to take a look at this one.

Best Title Entry #7 The Seal that Roared

First Entry #7 The Seal that Roared

Second Entry #1 The Rubbish King

(it should be noted that the first and second place are almost interchangeable. Maybe the titles were the only reason for the placement)

Third Entry #5 Fractured Lines

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Entry #1: The Rubbish King-I liked this one. Nothing really to say, i must be off my mark this evening, nothing to pick at. Good characterization, nothing really going on though, no hook.

Entry #2: A Childhood's Dream-I liked this one as well. Didnt read particular great for me. The 2nd to 3rd sentences just read off, didnt flow great there. The part of , he pulled out of info.., and looked out, the two outs caught my eye.

Entry #3: The Last Superpower-This had the sci-fi part down, I mean no doubt about the sci-fi element. My main concern here is pov, if he was so used to the UNIT then he spends a lot of time thinking about, and us reading about the process. That pulled me out of the pov.

Entry #4: The Man Who Would Be Emperor-POV again with this one. The first paragraph seems in Jims, explaining he familarity, the second in Alfreds, viewing the scene outside the window. The dialogue also seemed a little forced as if the writer had an agenda and needed to get the info said quickly, along the lines of an info dump.

Entry #5: Fractured Lines-Good characterization again, music, stripper, love, lust, hinting at a love triangle. But beyond that, I don't know, the hook is there with the collision though.

Entry #6: Thirteen Days in October-This read off to me, well I guess it read like a board meetingm which it was, so it probably read right. But for me it was a turn off. especially in the format printed. We have 5 sentences that start with The, lined right up, which really concerned me.

Entry #7: The Seal that Roared-the first sentence read off. I think its a run on, and a no no especially in the first paragraph, let alone the first sentencs. Banners hung from the archways. Flags flapped in the evening breeze, ..., Not a big fan of the word, suddenly, almost always feels like the writer is trying to force us to be suprised, versus letting us feel it. It was a good place to start and wasnt that far off.

Best Title Entry Entry # 2 A Childhood's Dream - I liked this as it ties in so nicely with the story lets, enforces the conflict at hand.

First Entry #1 The Rubbish King - I liked the slow start, and the good characterization.

Second Entry Entry #3: The Last Superpower - despite the issue of explaining the unit, i liked it because of the spec element so readibly available.

Third Entry Entry #7: The Seal that Roared - This wasnt far off, I felt it started in a good place, and set it up nice.

Anyways, hope I didnt offend anyone. They are just my thoughts, and I am by no means an authority. Overall well done everyone, and thank you Snapper for bringing the challenge back.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy Hammer
Member # 8139

- posted      Profile for Betsy Hammer   Email Betsy Hammer         Edit/Delete Post 
The writing was a bit halting, but I liked the characters. I didn’t care for the title, though.

The info in this one didn’t come through very clearly, but the start of the second paragraph was really good. I liked that he couldn’t see the island, only the ships. Good image.

The writing flowed well—it was easy to read. And I was pulled in by the cool tech. Like others, I also had a problem with him forgetting not to speak aloud.

I didn’t buy the old-world feel to the language, and Alfred’s words seemed forced for the sake of info. But I thought it was a good place to start the story. And it was clear—I would have kept reading just for the clarity and immediate feel of the scene.

I’m not sure that I would like Jim very much for watching his friend’s wife strip…but other than that, it was very clear. The story started with a bang. I would definitely keep reading. And I liked that the whole section felt like the story would be about Jim and Stephanie. Instant interest.

Alfred was great in this one. But I didn’t like that the finance minister was called “the finance minister.” And I didn’t like that the finance minister was only concerned with money—that part felt like a cartoon. I would keep reading for Alfred, though.

I thought that this one started a bit fast for a novel—I think that the party should have gone longer. But it was a good place to start. And it was clear and interesting. The lines about “all 57 of them” and “owner of Jim’s Aquatic Supplies” were funny and catching. I didn’t like the line about Alfred being “improperly animated.” It sounded to formal and out of place—but I could see how one line more could have redeemed it and made it clear that it was sarcasm.

Best Title Entry #7 The Seal that Roared (different and memorable)
First Entry #5 Fractured Lines
Second Entry #6 Thirteen Days in October
Third Entry #3 The Last Superpower
Also, The Seal that Roared came in a close third for me…but it just started a little too fast for me.

Posts: 316 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh Hey everybody! Great job. What a strong start for the challenges! WooHoo!
Leslie

Had I not known what the hook was, I would have been completely lost. Just didn’t hook me. But I also tend shy away from men behaving badly stories so that may have colored my opinion.

I like the first line but the rest is too info dumpy. It also feel passive.

I like this one, but it too suffers from the info dump in the second line and third. Those broke the flow for me. I would probably keep reading though because the technology sounds intriguing.

I am not sure, but it seems like there is a POV shift in the first paragraph. You could probably fix this by just removing the second and third lines. The line about the "blessing of the North Sea" threw me. It sounds very formal and a bit out of place.

This may be a weird thing to obsess on, but I don’t the sea can be torrid, at least not the North Sea. That word had me scurrying off to the dictionary and lost the hook for me.
 Another point of personal preference, I would not be likely to keep reading any story that had a stripper pole-dancing in the first two lines. But then that is just me.

I like this one. I like the simple sentences for a beginning and I loved the use of title instead of names and the nod to the missile crisis. I would read on just based on that, but I would expect to shortly leave the meeting-minutes format and dive into the story.

I like this one too. It’s funny and I would definitely read on. It has a kind of Gilligans Island feel to it (for those of you who recall that show).

Best Title Entry #7 The Seal that Roared

First Entry #5 
 The Seal that Roared
Second Entry #6 
 Thirteen Days in October
Third Entry #3 
 The Last Superpower

[This message has been edited by LAJD (edited January 08, 2009).]

[This message has been edited by LAJD (edited January 08, 2009).]

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
1. The Rubbish King

Not sure how something can be innocent and gaudy at the same time. I'm not hooked. So far it's just a bunch of loafers who seem to me like jerks. I like the tone of it, though, and I think the characters are well portrayed. They just aren't to my taste.

2. A Childhood Dream
Very introspective... I had a little trouble picturinging him. You say "focus his attention"--focus his attention on what? Later you explain his in "information space" but by then I was already thinking, Huh? The thing that's going for this is that there's an immediate tension--Everett is questioning his orders. That would probably keep me reading a little longer.

3. The Last Superpower
I'm not really sure what's going on here. Okay, Boris is accessing his UNIT, but why? what triggered his desire to look? He has a revelatory moment but it's lost on me because I don't know what's going on. Why do I care that he's learned about nuclear missiles?

4. The Man Who Would Be Emperor
The set up has potential, and I like the bit about their relationship. However, this one suffers from canned dialogue.

5. Fractured Lines
Oh, I'd definitely read on. There's a lot of intrigue here, because there's a suggestion of emotional tension (jealousy) tied with an external event (the explosion.)

6. Thirteen Days in October
Hm, not sure I'd read on. There's a lot of tension, but it sounds like some guy just having a temper tantrum. I feel like a walked into an awkward scene, and I'd likely just try to slip out.

7. The Seal That Roared
The first paragraph was great, but it started to fall apart from there for me. The island has been hit by something. How could they not have seen whatever it was that stuck the island? And cursing seems a bit... well, off, as a reaction to having your nation attacked.

Best title: Fractured Lines
(HM to "The Man Who Would Be Emperor)

First: Fractured Lines
Second: A Childhood's Dream
Third: The Seal That Roared

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited January 08, 2009).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Thanks Annepin,

I really like it when you crit these. You usually don't read the synopsis which puts the submissions in a proper perspectives on whether they hook or not.
We have two more writers who haven't given their opinion yet.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry – Internet’s been down.

I liked this one – I thought it was funny. There’s great characterization even though the characters are not very charming – since this appears to be the hook, the unlikable factor of the characters is a problem. The line – “He flicked his watering eyes over to Alfie.” – threw me off a little.

Entry#2: Childhood’s Dream
The imagery was good, but this one was a little info-dumpy. I found the second sentence confusing, and I don’t think it would have made sense if I hadn’t read the synopsis. I also questioned whether a military commander would start researching something he had been given orders to destroy.

Entry#3: The Last Superpower
I liked this one; it was the only one that could really be considered science fiction. It also made me wonder why Boris was so interested in this nuclear missile.

Entry#4: The Man Who Would Be Emperor
I liked this one up until the last sentence of the 2nd paragraph – it appears to be missing some punctuation. The next part threw me off completely. I doubt very seriously that there won’t be any “imperialism” between now and 2069.

Entry#5: Fractured Lines
I liked this one too; it had interesting imagery to say the least. I don’t think I would have realized Stephanie, who was dancing for Jim, was Albert’s wife from reading this – though that’s not a necessity. I thought the “crash” was a good hook.

Entry#6: Thirteen Days in October
The first sentence is a nice set up, but this reminded me a little bit of a Fed-ex commercial (minus the cursing of course). I really don’t know what’s happening here except there’s a very angry Prince who is yelling and cursing at his cabinet members about “character”.

Entry#7: The Seal that Roared
This one makes good use of humor, but it seems to move kind of fast. There is no dialogue to slow down the story, and as a result the characters seem to be introduced almost in passing.

Best Title: The Man Who Would be Emperor

First: The Last Superpower
Second: The Rubbish King
Third: Fractured Lines

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey snapper, after the last critique comes through, I thought it might be fun to have us guess who wrote each piece. What do you think?
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

I should participate as a writer next time...

S!
S!...C!

-------------

The Rubbish King
There wasn’t anything here to hook me in regards to a story line or a plot, but I liked the scene itself...good character interaction (if you can call being pelted by ice cubes ‘interacting’). It’s a scene I would expect to see later in the story.

A Childhood’s Dream
I felt Commander Everett’s confusion...what had Sealand done to deserve what he was sent there to do? Adding a sense of personal connectivity to Sealand gave the Commander good depth, and made the upcoming plot a bit more compelling. An interesting hook. I’m in!

The Last Superpower
Mention of the UNIT got my attention immediately. Although, the story bogged down at the description of how others weren’t as adept at using it as Boris; perhaps, it was necessary info, but it halted the flow. The next sentence mentioned a ‘stroll’...normally, I would ask: “Where was he?” “Why was he where he was?” Although, in this case, since the action was taking place inside his mind, and I was already curious about the UNIT, such added info to the scene is probably not necessary (especially since it’s probably mentioned after line 13 anyway). Also...the plot aspect of the hook would have been a slam dunk on me, had I known why the missiles were so important to Boris within the first 13.

The Man Who Would Be Emperor
I got no sense of why Jim did not trust the Russian. I got no sense of why their nation needed respect. I did, however, like the line about the “blessing of the North Sea;” had something more been made of that, I would consider reading on.

Fractured Lines
It’s too bad the line: “...was nothing compared to Stephanie’s heart” couldn’t have been even sooner, because it was the line that got my attention. But, then again, the imagery from the very beginning was what made it easy to picture the scene in my mind. I’d keep reading.

Thirteen Days in October
The tension was established early enough, but I’ve got no idea why character and pride and respect are so important to the Prince. I’m sure we’ll soon find out, but even a brief hint of it in the first 13 would have made it more interesting.

The Seal that Roared
The line “All 57 of them were there” was a great mood and scene setter. Much of the mood, however, was wrecked for me with the word ‘Suddenly’...although not completely a deal-breaker. I’d keep reading, simply to find out if this story was going to be told in a tone of drama or humor...or both.

Best Title: The Rubbish King
First: A Childhood’s Dream
Second: The Last Superpower
Third: Fractured Lines

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

quote:
Hey snapper, after the last critique comes through, I thought it might be fun to have us guess who wrote each piece. What do you think?

Sure thing, have at it. Still got one more person that hasn't crit yet. Next time I get on, I'll close the voting. That may be a day so...
Here is a list of people

Snapper - Rich - Tiergan - LAJD
Betsyhammer - Philocinemas - Billawaboy

I have Tiergan's synopsis. Should I post it next time I log in or should I wait until the voting is completed?

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Tiergan's is up above. Do you mean Billawaboy's? Either way, I'd suggest waiting until whenever the cutoff is.
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Pardon the delay - 1st week of school just knocked me out until now. On with the reviews:

#1 Rubbish King- This read really well and was quite funny. It made we want to read ahead, so it worked. Not sure about the title, though.

#2 A Childhood's Dream- I liked that it picked a different POV than the main players of Sealand. Loved the smell and sound of the sea air. It works. Enigmatic title.

#3 The Last Superpower- Another one with a differen POV that's cool. It reads well, and really sets up the scene visually. The last line makes me want to read ahead.

#4 The Man Who would be Emporer - Has an old-school kind of feeling. Reads okay. The "blessing" makes me want to read on to find out what it is.

#5 Fractured Lines - Cool Title. Felt an abrupt POV changes from Jim to Albert when going from 1st paragraph to 2nd. The crash happens too soon, I think, and too abruptly. Maybe hint at it and entice the reader, like something dark and looming heading toward the pontoon? I dunno, but it didn't really prompt me to read on.

#6 13 Days in October - I think it reads well, but happens too fast for me. Like I dropped in on a conversation, which may be the idea. But it felt more like something I'd read after the 1st 13 lines.

#7 The Seal that roared - Lovely opening description. Really set's up the visual for the rest of the scene. Once again, I think the crash is too early to happen before some setup, but it works with the comical plunging of fireworks. It reads okay, and I do have a faint push to read on, so it works somewhat. The title fits the style very well, I think.

Best Title: #7 The Seal that Roared; hands down it just sticks perfectly in my mind; Fractured Lines was very close.

1st: Rubbish King. In 13 lines really made me want to know this version of Jim

2nd: The Last Superpower. Made me curious about the R-39 and what Boris was up to.

3rd: The Seal that roared. Shows promise of something interesting and i think i'd enjoy reading just for the comedic style, which is hard for me to emulate.

~bb~

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Outstanding first challenge of the year! The voting was close. Thanks to Crank and Annepin for offering opinions. I welcome any hatrack members that wish to only vote to do so, but we are always looking for more participants.

Every entry recieved at least two votes (title and/or favorite three). The top four were within four points. Very close!

Best title - Entry # 7 The Seal that Roared

First (tie) - Entry # 1 The Rubbish King 23 points

and Entry # 3 The Last Superpower 23 points

Third - Entry # 5 Fractured Lines 22 points

Philocinemas wanted to guess who wrote what. Anyone else that would like to guess, please do so. I'll post who wrote what in a day or so.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited January 12, 2009).]

philocinemas
Member # 8108

I thought guessing the writer might be an interesting exercise in consideration of recent threads about style. Some of this is a matter of elimination and some pure conjecture. Here are my guesses:

Rubbish King - Betsy Hammer
13 Days - rich
Fractured Lines - Tiergan
Seal that Roared - me (I know I got that one right)
Last Superpower - snapper
Childhood's Dream - LAJD
Man Who Would Be Emperor - billawaboy

Betsy Hammer
Member # 8139

- posted      Profile for Betsy Hammer   Email Betsy Hammer         Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! Those were my exact same guesses! I had so much fun deducing who wrote what from the critiques and votes--it was like playing Clue.

The Rubbish King - betsyhammer

A Childhood's Dream - LAJD

The Last Superpower - snapper

The Man Who Would Be Emperor - billawaboy

Fractured Lines - Tiergan

Thirteen Days in October - rich

The Seal that Roared - Philocinemas

I'm new, so none of my guesses were based on style, only what I've seen here. Except for you, Rich. I know your style, and when I saw that you'd participated, I thought of you immediately: Strong characterization, and the die-hard diligence to be sure that the word f***ing makes it's way into the first 13.

Posts: 316 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

Hey, someone's gotta throw a few f-bombs into the party every once in awhile. Especially when that someone's had too much to drink.

ahem.

I'm new here, too, so I didn't have any guesses other than Betsy's was probably The Rubbish King 'cause it was too good.

I kinda like these 13 lines things. Personally, I think too much is made of the first 13 and its impact, but it is a good exercise. My initial one was waaaay longer. I went back to a short story I wrote (says the man who says we shouldn't spend time on short stories--not only do I contain multitudes, but my multitudes have multitudes) and the first page and a half became less than half a page. It's like a Zen thing. Or something.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

By the way, rich, I'm impressed that you recognized my nod to Peter Sellers. It's not one of his more famous roles, but a great movie all the same. I instantly thought of The Mouse That Roared when I read the synopsis.
snapper
Member # 7299

You guys are good. You got them all correct.

The Captain's hat goes to Betsyhammer. She got more first place votes than I so here is covet Captains Hat. Congrats.
Coming soon (less than ten minutes) is the next challenge.

philocinemas
Member # 8108

Congrats, Betsy!
rich
Member # 8140

Well, philocinemas, great minds think alike. I immediately thought of the same movie when I read the synopsis. It just pains me that I couldn't come up with that title. I was trying all kinds of animals--platypus, ant, beetle. As you can tell, it wasn't working for me. Leave it to me to not think of the appropriate animal.

And you get a hat for winning? I mean, it's better than a stick in the eye, but why not something cool like: the Nobell Prize for 13-Line Literature? It comes with a Monopoly money grant of 13 kazillion dollars, plus the hotel on Boardwalk AND Park Place.

Or we can stick with the hat since one size fits all.

snapper
Member # 7299

Well, you do get a hook to go with the hat. And a Smedley to boss around. Of course there is that pesky Peter Pan that you'll have to deal with. Stay clear of the fairy dust, mind you.

[This message has been edited by snapper (edited January 13, 2009).]

Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend sticking with the hat, and avoiding the hook. Especially if you win more than once, it makes it very hard to type.

Congrats!

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
Conrats Betsy!

Don't forget to say ARRRRR!

Wonderful first 13 of the year to all. Bring on the next one!

Leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.