Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Sign-up for March IB Challenge

Author Topic: Sign-up for March IB Challenge
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I figure we start this one March 6th and it'll be due in the 20th, for Phase 1. Phase 2 (the actual submittal) will be the 27th.

So, who's in?

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. The submitting part scares me, but I should get over that anyways.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JohnMac
Member # 8472

- posted      Profile for JohnMac   Email JohnMac         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, I'll give this a go.
Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. Ditto what satate said.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean by submittal? It makes it sound like you are going to be an editor.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought you'd follow along better, snapper. Submittal means exactly that, submitting to a qualifying market.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

What market are you talking about? Is it a paying? Pro? Real?
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Any market. I'm not talking about a specific market, I'm talking about submitting the stories instead of letting them lay around.

Got it?

Sheesh. Talk about making a mountain out of a mole-hill.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 02, 2009).]

aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
IB means: Yes, any real market, not a pretend Hatrack magazine.

I want to do this, but I'll be editing two short stories, a novel, and part of my grandpa's memoirs this month, so... maybe.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could, but I'll be on vacation the week before the due date. Plus I'm approaching writing the end of my novel, so I'm loath to take on any other projects. We'll see if I even submit to WOTF this time around.

Have fun, everyone!

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Thank you, aspirit, but I got IB's meaning.

Sorry, pal, but the way you presented this challenge, I wasn't clear if we were submitting our pieces to you, then you would decide if they were ready for the rest of us, or if you meant something else.

Clear as glass, now.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Cool.

We really want to get people to succeed.

Writing is step one. Polishing is next. Emailing/snail-mailing the work to someone who can publish it (submitting) is the next bump in the natural progression.

I find it to be a courageous step for our new writers, and a confusing one. Thanks to snapper, I've decided to include a list (in the challenge) that are acceptable to submit to. That chisels down some of the anguish over the where to submit to.

Hopefully, in the end, we end up with a group of newly published authors. If not, we try again next month.

JohnMac
Member # 8472

- posted      Profile for JohnMac   Email JohnMac         Edit/Delete Post 
"I figure we start this one March 6th and it'll be due in the 20th, for Phase 1. Phase 2 (the actual submittal) will be the 27th."

So one week for polishing? (from the 20th to the 27th)

Posts: 114 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Yes. One week to do a final polish.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm in.
I'm scared as I have never submitted a story before.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I suggest something?

I think sometime it might be good to have the trigger be a picture.

Since IB has such an artistic background, perhaps you would be the best one for this idea.

It doesn't have to be this time, I'm sure you're working on a trigger idea that is freakin awesome, but perhaps for the next trigger challenge we can use a pic. I like the idea of coming up with an idea from a visual cue.

Just an idea.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in. I think. Is their a prompt? Do we crit each others work?
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

You know, Sheena, you have a point. Next challenge, I'll link a picture.

And, Scott, You've found the trigger (prompt), but yeah, we have had a good record of critiquing. I still owe some, but, there was no pressure to do a swift, concise job before. Now, it's geared toward submission and publication.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited March 09, 2009).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.