Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » Comments, please

Author Topic: Comments, please
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
If anyone here has either tried or even just followed the MidSommer Madness, would you reply with comments on what you think and especially, how to improve? ALL comments are welcome, good and bad.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was awesome. I dropped out about half way through, but even my reason for dropping out was caused by mid-sommer madness. I got really excited when I finally figured out why this plot wasn't going anywhere, and I decided to delve more deeply into that instead of continuing on.

Here are my thoughts, whatever they are worth:
1. I learned that it is really smart to drag out your outlining over a month, thinking about it from a new angle each time. It really got my creative juices flowing. I might do some version of this every time I map out a new novel. (Which I hope will be often)

2. It was really hard to do this in June. I thought November was a crazy month for Nanowrimo, and June is no less so, especially for moms who suddenly find themselves trying to map out a book and take care of kids during summer vacation. Maybe it's the craziness of it that makes it work--you have to be super committed. If not, then picking a month closer to Nanowrimo might be a good plan.

3. I posted some of my work in the NSG thread (until it got too cumbersome--which was shortly before I dropped out, hence...) and it is important to have the accountability of knowing a group is expecting you to post something. It made me do a better job than I might have otherwise. On the other hand, I was glad I was the only one doing it because I really needed to take breaks on those days when we were supposed to be critiquing everyone elses posts.

Thank you so much for doing this! It was well worth it for me. If I think of anything else, I will let you know.
Melanie

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Glad you got something out of it. What would be a GOOD month?
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

BTW, we're thinking of doing a WorldBuilding Challenge to assist people in world building now that they have an outline. Given those 2, NANO should be much more doable.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.