Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » World-Building

Author Topic: World-Building
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on another public challenge. This one is world-building. If you have some ideas on what to include, I'd like to hear them.

Thanks!

Mike

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see...

Start with a nebula. Then spin the gases around the largest gravity well. Eventually heavier elements will congregate together to form a core. Gather lighter elements around that. If your lucky, the object will be close enough to the local star to keep most of the water in a liquid form.
Now wait four billion years, hope the star remains stable, tectonic plates develop, and evolution stays on course.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I find I often start with a map. Some things I know I need on the map because of how the story is going to go. Then I add other things.

Some things on the map will give me ideas about how people would live in a place like that. Then I start developing the culture that would exist there. What do they believe? What kind of shelters do they live in? How do they dress? What are the marriage customs? How do they raise their children? Who's in charge and how do they get that way? How does their economy work?

Sometimes I have to tweak my map and my cultures to work with the story I want to tell. Sometimes, I tweak the story to fit better in the world I've built.

For Dreamer's Rose, I knew what the upper left (northwest) portion of the map had to look like. The rest, I just made up.
But even then, when I saw that part of the map drawn, I learned some new things about how that part of the world would operate.

I haven't finished working out all the cultures, which may be why my progress is so slow on the darn thing. At least, part of the reason.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
http://vimeo.com/3365942
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Ben, that might be a little beyond most of us right now.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, all. See the Challenges section for the August worldbuilding challenge announcement.
Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.