Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » WotF book prize challenge (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: WotF book prize challenge
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Two people have already did their part. What they thought of the stories they read have been edited in teh entry thread
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
The book has arrived. Will get signed and sent tomorrow. Book miles so far: 5300 miles.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

The book is now on its way back to the USA for the remaining signatures. If someone from Australia wins it will have done something in the order of 20,000 miles.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

All the votes are in. The finalist have been announced and they are on the way to the judges.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Snapper. Great concept. Great execution.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Whew! That was nerve wracking for me.

Glad it's over. Great job everyone!

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Any news from our guest judges yet?
Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Yes. I have the results from one. The book still has to reach judge # 2 yet, so I told them not to rush it.

I promise as soon as I get all 3 results I will post the results.

snapper
Member # 7299

I have two of the judges results in and word the book is on the way to Utah.

Soon, my friends, soon.

skadder
Member # 6757

I happen to know Snapper is a little busy at present--unavoidable non-writerly stuff--but I am sure when he has news he will share it.
snapper
Member # 7299

Thanks Skadder, and thank you too Laura. Your kind and thoughtful words meant a lot. Perhaps I will post something in Grist for the Mill to explain my absence.

I am sorry to leave everyone up in the air but I am still waiting for one judge. I will drop him a line. If I don't hear from him I will I posty the comments from the other two judges.

The third judge said the book looks a bit weathered. The journey has not been kind to it so he will send a second copy to the winner.

Please stand by.

Brendan
Member # 6044

Thanks snapper for running this challenge. Great job, despite what sounds like some extra difficulties in your non-writing life.

Congrats Ethereon, that was some story. When I read it, my immediate thought was that we were all running for minor places. Where are you thinking of sending it (if you are)?

Well done all the other finalists. There were some quite high standard stories written for this challenge. But now I'll have to go out and buy WOTF XXVI myself.

And thanks for the critiques everyone. One gave my all-time favorite piece of feedback for a story "– MEN!"

[This message has been edited by Brendan (edited November 04, 2010).]

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done Ethereon
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Snapper, for all your hard work. It was quite a feat putting this on. Hope everything is going alright now for you.

And Ehtereon, what an excellent story! Congrats! I truly hope this one has legs for you with the publishers.

Everyone's stories were very good. Thanks to everyone for all the feedback. As always, it's invaluable. And thanks to the celebrity judges for taking time to do this, too.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys.

Thanks snapper for putting this all together. Sorting through everything that was sent to you, reposting it etc. must have been a lot of work. You're a great facilitator.

It was really fun to read everyone's stories and great to get so much valuable feedback!

@Brendan. Yes, I do look forward to sending this one out once I've done some revisions based on everyone's comments. As to where, I'm not sure yet. If you have any ideas of where it would "fit" well, please suggest away. (I haven't had a chance to do as much reading as I'd like, so most of what I know about markets is from duotrope).

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twiggy
Member # 9209

- posted      Profile for Twiggy   Email Twiggy         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to everyone and well done Ethereon. I'd already guessed you would win, and bought my copy of the book. I will see Skadder on Saturday and I can get him to sign it for me.

Great job Snapper.

Posts: 84 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PollyKing
Member # 9316

- posted      Profile for PollyKing   Email PollyKing         Edit/Delete Post 
is this contest over?
Posts: 7 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

Yeah. Entries were due Sept 30. There will probably be another in a couple of weeks - too many people doing Nano at the moment.
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Woohoo, the anthologies arrived today!
Thank you Tnwilz, snapper, skadder, Laurie and Brad!

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
So does that last post mean that Ethereon won?

Too bad I kept forgetting this challenge

but will there be any more some time soon?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

It sure does, LD. She wrote a wonderful story.

Have you try submitting it yet, Ethereon?

Ethereon
Member # 9133

Yep. I revised quickly and threw it into the void!
I already have a rejection from a fast pro market but I think it might have made it past the slush reader. That would be exciting, so that's what I'll choose to believe
I was thinking, if the next rejection comes before Dec 31st, maybe I could send it to a... different contest?
What do you think snapper? Would it be silly to send such a sort story?

Ethereon
Member # 9133

Thought I should mention that I just sold the story from this contest.

Thank you, snapper!

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
All right! Way to go, Ethereon!

Where did you sell it?

Edited to add:

Never mind. I see that you posted the answer to my question in the appropriate area.

Congratulations!

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Good. [Smile]
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
You know I really hate it when these older threads bubble up to the top. I see them and think I've missed something until I open it up and find out it's and older thread with updates.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

Shouldn't have admitted to that. I might just start bumping random threads now [Big Grin]
Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
Easy there Snapper at my age I'm easily confused.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.