Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » The "Inhuman Challenge" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The "Inhuman Challenge"
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I wholly support Ethereon's point of view on this one, simply out of principle: copyright rests with the author, and distributing stories outside the stated critique group (which, if people enter these challenges, is stated as the other participants) would risk being a breach of trust. The suggestion of sharing the stories by email after the challenge is complete sounds fairest and, unless I'm mistaken, that's probably just a couple of days away.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

- posted      Profile for Ethereon   Email Ethereon         Edit/Delete Post 
Comments posted in the entries thread now!

Only 4 people yet to vote and 5 people yet to critique.

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
I fully accept said principle. The respect for other’s work and the carefully guarded copyrights are a big part of why I like it here. Far be it from me to infringe on that, even inadvertently. If you wouldn’t mind me reading your work, would you please (pretty please) e-mail it to me once the contest has concluded?
Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh we can send in the votes separate from the crits? I was waiting to to finish the crits.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Ideally not, LD. Please send your votes and crits together if possible

[This message has been edited by Ethereon (edited February 14, 2011).]

Posts: 291 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay dokey. Both at once.
Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent stories all... tough to crit these guys though. Well written and tight.

Josephine, I for one would likely take you up on your offer.

Looking forward to seeing the results. dr

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
I would like to take you up as well JK, and prefer to have the entire bulk sent to you as we received it. I think reading them without knowing who wrote what adds to the experience.
If teh entire group cannot agree than I will send mine independently.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wit snappah...

also... I thought the first 13 of entry 7 was cool... would like to see that one in full.

[This message has been edited by DRaney (edited February 15, 2011).]

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Yeah, I'll send Josephine the full package in the next day or two, minus the stories of anyone who hasn't let me know they're okay with that. Unfortunately there is no full story for entry 7, DRaney, sorry to dissapoint.

Only two people yet to vote!

Utahute72
Member # 9057

- posted      Profile for Utahute72   Email Utahute72         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no problem with her reading mine.
Posts: 459 | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

- posted      Profile for Josephine Kait   Email Josephine Kait         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are awesome.
Posts: 456 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Only two people yet to vote!

Oops, I seem to one of those two. The date got away from me. But I may not help much. One person said the stories are hard to crit, because how good most are. But I am finding its easy because there's not much I can say even after rereading the stories a time or two.

snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
In the event of a tie, may I suggest we have the all-to-willing-to-read-our-stuff JK decide the winner. We have 4 grand at stake after all, or were we playing for just pride? I am having trouble determining which is more valuable...
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smiley
Member # 9379

- posted      Profile for Smiley   Email Smiley         Edit/Delete Post 
Either way is good for me. And I have no problem with Josephine reading my story. It would be cool.
Posts: 195 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ethereon
Member # 9133

Hey everyone, results are posted in the entries thread!

JK, I've sent you the almost-complete story package, so if you want to read them as anonymous entries, don't look!

Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

Yay! I've got 'em. I'll get back to you soon. <happily heads off to munch on yummy new stories>
Josephine Kait
Member # 8157

BTW, I really loved reading these! They were every bit as good as they promised from the intros. I sent my crits to Ethereon since I didn't know who each story belonged to. Best of luck with getting them published.

Thanks again!
-Jo

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

As I think I have stated already I would like to do this challenge again. The other story I wrote with inhumans is probably too long for this challenge if we made it the same length but I recalled an idea I had months ago. There's another story I wrote that needed some help and someone on another site discussed what was missing. During that discussion I came up with an idea for the same type of story but with a different POV. I didn't want to change that story but I still like the idea.

I said all that to say that I'm thinking that I will write that tale when I'm done revising the story I'm doing now and at least as of right now it will be a shorter story.

So anyone else want to do it again?

BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Personally, I feel that coming into these challenges with premade stuff kind of smells like cheating, since most if not all of the other contestants who enter are writing new works from scratch. Why not post your story in Fragments & Feedback and ask if folks are interested in critiquing the whole thing? Or post it on Critters or somewhere similar? You might get the feedback a whole lot quicker, too?
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

BenM I could do that and probably will but I also thought it would be more fun to do it this way. If No one agrees with me they just have to say no or nothing. No big deal...not even a small one.

But I'll be writing it soon, hopefully starting by next weekend, I have the beginning in mind even though it involves the MC waking up. Yeah, I know but it fits this MC well not sure how else to do it.

But anyway, if anyone else agreed with me it would most probably be before I started the writing so it would be written during the time length of the new challenge. But in either case this might be my Q3 entry but I don't know if they like this type of story. Sort of, kind of quirky fantasy

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited March 11, 2011).]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.