Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Writing Challenges » The 'No Hook' hook challenge: 1 of 2: anonymous (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The 'No Hook' hook challenge: 1 of 2: anonymous
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Winners and comments are posted. Thank you to everyone who participated. Stay tuned for the next challenge - coming Thursday.

http://www.hatrack.com/cgi-bin/ubbwriters/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=7;t=000224;p=0&r=nfx

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brendan
Member # 6044

- posted      Profile for Brendan   Email Brendan         Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely done, tesknota. Is this your first challenge? You certainly cleaned up this one - very nice opening. Does it actually continue into a story, or was it just made up for the challenge?

Also, congratulations Mr. Blake - two very different openings, both well done.

And thanks, Trina, for running this. I look forward to the next challenge. Do we get to guess who wrote what?

[ March 26, 2013, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: Brendan ]

Posts: 789 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Feel free to guess, though it's up to the individual whether or not they want to reveal themselves.

Also, if anyone wants to know how their non-placing opening did, emial me and I'll tell you your results.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Well done tesknota and Brendan, and thanks for running this Trina. This has been the first bit of writing I've done for quite a while now.

If any one wants to guess I had one more in there.

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to the winners.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tesknota
Member # 10041

- posted      Profile for tesknota   Email tesknota         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, I totally didn't expect to win. =O

But congratulations to pdblake and Brendan and to everyone who participated! I liked a lot of them and reading all these entries really opened my eyes to different types of openings. And of course, thanks Trina for all of your hard work. =)

Brandon---
Thanks! Yes, this is my first challenge, but I'm a pretty new member. And nah, I just made it up for this challenge.

pdblake---
I'll put my money on Dead Hand Control, #6. Am I right or what?

Posts: 252 | Registered: Feb 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

And since I stupidly forgot to say it because it was really late and I was having trouble keeping my eyes open when I posted results...

CONGRATS!!! to the winners. Well done!

MaddCow
Member # 10046

- posted      Profile for MaddCow   Email MaddCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to the winners! I put a bit more of a challenge on myself for this one. Basically all 3 of my entries are all from the same book series I've been toying around with for a number of years now. It wasn't until I posted them that I realized one of them was totally in first person and didn't work out for the challenge itself.

I was trying to do 3 different hooks for the same book in different ways. One was first person narrative, and the other two were different forms of third person.

Thanks for the feedback, it helped me tone some possible ideas for those openings.

Posts: 4 | Registered: Mar 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grumpy old guy
Member # 9922

- posted      Profile for Grumpy old guy   Email Grumpy old guy         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to the winners. I'm glad that at least one of my top three choices made it into the top three.

And, as I said to Trina, the quality of all the submissions was first-rate. I had a hard time coming up with a best 3, let alone placing them into 1st, 2nd & 3rd. In the end, it all boiled down to readability for me. One reason my own may not have fared so well.

However, I got the response I expected to it; I wrote it that way deliberately for effect and got exactly what I wanted back from those who commented on it. So, thanks to those who did comment.

Phil.

Posts: 1937 | Registered: Sep 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
Teskotna, my third was Humanity Lost, #15.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KellyTharp
Member # 9997

- posted      Profile for KellyTharp   Email KellyTharp         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to all. I'm a slow learner, so didn't get the submission formatted . . . too long. Still had some nice feed back, so thanks to everyone for that. I was sad to have lost my hook at the end "Suddenly the lights went out, the faries disappeared, and all went silent." Was supposed to be titled: The Last Sweep. Had another, but somehow in trying to figure out the parameters of the line length I accidentally posted it, so now can't submit as it had my name on it. Going to go cry in my beer and give up on challanges. But I am slowly learning. Maybe third challenge is the charm . . .KT
Posts: 96 | Registered: Dec 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.