Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Pet Death

Author Topic: Pet Death
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
We just made the decision to put a cat down--he's in pain and doing poorly. The appointment is for this evening. This is the second animal I've had to make this decision for. Its just wretched. And I'm worried/sad for my four-year-old, who is also close to this cat. Sigh... Thanks for listening.
Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear that. If it helps, I have gone through this to, with a cat and 2 dogs. All I an say is, you know when the time is, so don't second guess yourself. You are doing the right thing. As far as the 4-yr old. We had a horse die this past winter, of old age, and my 4 yr old daughter took it hard. We tried to explain the horse was in heaven, and didnt really shy away from what death was. But she didnt fully understand. She still occasionally asks if "Scotty" is coming back. Now I think she understands he is not coming back. To make her feel better we talked to her about the good times we had and remember what a happy home you gave the pet while it lived.

Sorry for your loss.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how old your daughter is, but this might be a character-building experience for her, so all is not lost.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Please accept my sympathies...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry. It's never an easy decision to make.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
I have also have had pets put to sleep due to age related problems.

My favorite cat Shanerat was 19 years old when we put her sleep in 2000 because she had cancer. Our dog in FL Calie was 12 and had a relapse of cancer and was put to sleep in 2004 and our cat Damn Cat who also had cancer was put to sleep a few weeks ago at age 18.5

I don’t like it when pets die. It is quite heart breaking when they go for they don’t live as long as us and we will out live any animal we can ever own.

I am waiting until the DNA project for dogs if complete to have the DNA of mine rewritten for them to live longer (if that is possible in 10 years) I don’t think I can stand loosing another pet, again.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
My sympathies, MrsBrown.

It's wretched, but you are doing the right thing.

As hard as it is to outlive a pet, though, I worry sometimes about what would happen to a pet that outlived me.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kings_falcon
Member # 3261

- posted      Profile for kings_falcon   Email kings_falcon         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been there far too recently. My oldest is at the point he understands what it means that the cat isn't coming home. Right now, he's saying when he dies he wants to be buried next to Scout (our dog who died of a stroke in December 2006 - we have 5 acres so the pet cemetary is in the woods behind the house). My other son, who was 5 when Scout died and 7 this year when Funky Cat died, didn't understand what it meant/means.

There are some good books for kids to help them deal with death. I'll pull them from the shelves tonight and add them to this post.

While making that decision is hard, it's often the best thing for the animal. Hang in there.

Posts: 1210 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
When I came home from the vet I told my son that Slink (the cat) had died while at the office. He isn't quite sure how to deal with it, but its going okay. When I cried, he offered me his favorite toys (I think to cheer me up).

He wanted to see the body and then help with the burial, shoveling in the dirt. He suggested and found a flag to mark the spot. We let him make his own decisions about what he felt okay with. He's been talking about it, and asking for another cat. He really seems to get what death is. We all miss Slink.

I cried this morning about IB. How awful, and very frustrating!

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Something for those of us who have loved and lost an animal:

http://www.youtube.com/v/adYbFQFXG0U&hl=en&fs=1

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very sorry for the loss of you pet. I've been there too.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.