Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Sorry I've been gone, but I took a major leap of faith today....

Author Topic: Sorry I've been gone, but I took a major leap of faith today....
BMFulks
Member # 8116

- posted      Profile for BMFulks   Email BMFulks         Edit/Delete Post 
I applied for a job at the local newspaper. They pay very well, only problem being my only experience writing newspaper articles was for a year in my senior year of high school. They said experience wasn't necessary but, still, I feel like a fool.

But I figure the worst they can do is tell me no, and they wouldn't even have said that if I hadn't sent my resume off, so here's praying I get the job.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck -

I applied for a sales position with a paper once, but I couldn't pass the typing test at the time - I'm a little OCD, I have a hard time passing over mistakes. I hope it works out for you.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Any tips? I'm interested in looking for freelance work at the papers and magazines in my area, but I'm not sure how to find it. I don't have a journalism background, I have other skills, LOL. I didn't see job postings for reporters/freelance writers on the websites I have checked so far.

But meanwhile - congratulations on the leap of faith. I hope it pans out for you.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMFulks
Member # 8116

Luckily, the Editor I met with today came from ten years as a Youth Counselor with absolutely no prior experience in journalism, so she was somewhat sympathetic.

But, yes, I got sent to cover a Public Safety and Justice Committee meeting Monday night, along with two other potential hirees covering the event. It was a test to see who was the best. As of 3am Tuesday morning, my article was finished, completed, and turned-in. So....I'm excited.

As for finding freelancer work, there was an add in the very same paper for a job opening, no experience required, and I leapt at it.

But I did meet a Freelancer tonight (one of my competitors) who had been doing pro-bono music reviews for the paper for about a year. Great guy, he gave me a ride home and we exchanged Emails. But yeah, that was how he got his foot in the door.

Posts: 13 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BMFulks
Member # 8116

I beat out two other writers and got my article published, and possibly could have a job.

I'll found out officially tomorrow.

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats! I hope it comes through for you.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.