Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Games

Author Topic: Games
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
The perfect thing for those looking for an excuse to procrastinate--DDR for your fingers! Sort of.

Bird Frenzy!

If you get a good rhythm it's great, and you can cruise along. But if you think too hard, well, then it all goes to pot.

It's sort of related to writing. I mean, it requires typing skills, after a fashion.

[This message has been edited by annepin (edited August 29, 2008).]

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LAJD
Member # 8070

- posted      Profile for LAJD   Email LAJD         Edit/Delete Post 
aaaaarrrgggghhhhh...I so suck at these things. But it's more fun than the trace matrix I am working on....

Lhanks for the break!
leslie

Posts: 391 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
That has been a big distraction for me at times, especially since I've tried to start doing some writing on the laptop instead of in my hardcover journals. I'm still undecided about which I like best, but it is far too easy to fire up an internet browser (which is what I just did to come check this forum instead of writing my next chapter) or flip on minesweeper.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I call games like that "artificially induced stress situations" and I try to avoid them. (Of course, you could argue that a story fits that terminology as well, but it isn't the same, to me, at least.)

If they help other people, that's cool.

I don't like myself when I get competitive in a game, so I don't play games much.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
My problem is keeping away from the online poker outlets. When you're winning it's hard to quit--cause you know you're lucky, you're in the hot seat and don't want to quit without maximizing your winnings. And when you're losing it's hard to quit, because you know if you play a few more hands you'll get some nice cards and win it all back.

I have a character who is a poker addict, so my excuse is that I'm getting inside her head, trying to develop her, but that's only an excuse, and I know it.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
Now, now, you know you shouldn't feed the wildlife...

::goes back to play again::

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Think you could claim your poker losses on your taxes as "research" for a writing project? LOL

I went to a panel once with a group of published authors and one talked about how he wrote off his flying lessons as a business expense because he was learning to fly as a research project for a WIP. I think he must have a better accountant than I have (says her accountant.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Seriously, at what point can a fiction writer convince the IRS (for those of us in the U.S.) that writing is his/her profession?

On topic, I'm avoiding the game, thank you very much, annepin. I'm too easily distracted already. Plus, I lost rhythm in my hands as soon as I quit practicing on the piano. Such is life.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Not having made any money at writing, I've avoided tax problems altogether. You make any weird deduction or claim and they'll be on you about it, though.

On games...I get by with what came on my computer. Minesweeper...Solitaire...two-suit Spider Solitaire...an occasional few rounds of Hearts...that's what I've got. I like to do something as a kind of warming up exercise.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

One of my friends from the 'Pub' room of a music board I frequent posted a link to a game called Dice Wars...

Dice Wars

No, I am not addicted to it. I wish you people would leave me alone!

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I swear the computer cheats... the dice it uses are loaded!
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Anne, how do you find time to write and play games???
That is an addicting game. I'm pretty lousy at it though. I guess I need to practice!

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The dice aren't loaded---the odds are just against you.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

quote:
Okay, I swear the computer cheats

Computers don't cheat. Computer programmers cheat. In the case of Dice Wars...somewhere out there, a software developer needs to be flogged.

S!
S!...C!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I got to quit playing dice wars. However, I win 50% of the games (no lie)
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.