Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » How was your Thanksgiving day?

Author Topic: How was your Thanksgiving day?
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
After tomorrow, I hope I have something interesting to post under this. I hope you do too!
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my Thanksgiving day has just begun. I have yet to put the turkey in the oven, but the table is almost set and everything is cleaned as far as I'm going to clean it. I probably won't get back here in the rest of the day---besides everything, I have to go to bed early so I can get up at eight PM so I can be at work at ten PM.

I should clarify:

(I) I say "I" have yet to put the turkey in the oven. It's my oven, but my father cleans the bird out and my mother makes the stuffing and stuffs the bird. My mother doesn't trust me to do either, though I'm sure I could.

(2) "Cleaned" amounts to shifting a bunch of piles of books to other piles, and stuffing a bunch of stuff into the other rooms of my house and closing the doors so the rest of my family doesn't see it. (I'm not sure why: they know how I live.)

Anyway, best and all to everybody on (US) Thanksgiving, and especially a "my heart goes out to you" feeling to anybody who happens to be in Mumbai India...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
How WAS your Thanksgiving Day? Aren't you getting the cart before the horse? Just pulling your chain Patrick .

We won't be leaving for my neice's house until later this afternoon for Thanksgiving dinner. They have a very nice place in the country about a two hour drive from us. Because of how late dinner will be and the distance to drive home, I know I'll have about nine barn cats and two horses that'll be very upset that their evening meal is way late. Oh well, they'll live.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone regardless of where you live or whether you celebrate it or not . And even though I spoke mainly of eating, I hope every one of you will take some time today and realize all that you have to be truly thankful for. Even though we still have more money going out than coming in--and my husband is still jobless--I'm thankful each and every day that I wake up with my home intact, the bills met, being in good health, and my four legged children are still out in the barn. In these things my husband and I are truly blessed.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm... Well, I'm in Japan where Thanksgiving is just about unknown of and gets less notice than Halloween or Xmas. I did engage in making a quadrouple batch of stuffing and feeding several hundred of my students. 2 1/2 hours of cooking in the staff room! And 50 minutes serving and cleaning up.

And if you're wondering why I choose stuffing it was the one thing for which all the ingredients are available cheaply here and the students are not already familiar with it. (Turkey is a fortune, one cooked drumstick plus some random meat costs 1100yen!)

Cross cultural education at work!

[This message has been edited by Lyrajean (edited November 27, 2008).]

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
This was my first Thanksgiving without any family except for my husband, and he worked almost a full shift. He's a humane society kennel technician, so he left me alone a couple times to give more than a hundred dogs a better Thanksgiving. (Unfortunately for him, his day started with a diabetic stray going into a seizure.) I called family members, located in various places around the U.S., in between cooking and cleaning to bring them into my day and myself into theirs. I wasn't too lonely.

I made pumpkin pie and deviled eggs! My husband handles about 99% of the cooking in my household, so I'm happy he allowed me to help today. I overfilled the pie crust then burned the top of the filling, but the eggs turned out well.

We ate dinner late, around seven o'clock. We were both too full to eat the mottled pumpkin pie. That means we have pie and leftovers for a day or two. I'm thankful we could eat what we wanted without worrying about our next meal.

Like Crystal, I hope everyone, regardless of location, took time today to consider the good in their life. Happy Thanksgiving.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone seen a potato stuffed in a straw? Or a python that has swallowed a small automobile? That was me yesterday. I was knocking things over with my belly. Unaccustomed was I to the bulge. I think I am not alone here, I am sure everyone ate everything they could get their hands on--save the sofa, in most cases.

I spent Thanksgiving taking advantage of the situation, not being thankful. Taking advantage of all the food present, certainly, but more importantly I took advantage of my grandmothers being there, my wise, and funny, uncle(whom I only see once a year.). These are people with years of experience, beyond what I can even imagine myself ever having. While I think them, most of the time, to be dottering old fools, that is only because they are out of their element. They know about as much about technology as the average household pet(which is only one step behind me.). Life, on the other hand, they know. Frankly, I was amazed at the ease and expertise they had with the subject. They have lived.

Yes, I suppose I was thankful for them, and other things. But, being thankful only because I used them at their best. Your elders have a great deal of wisdom and are more than willing to prattle--I mean--share it. Thanksgiving seems to be a wonderful time to take advantage of this.

Takeadvantage day doesn't click quite like Thanksgiving day. Oh well.

Thanks to all who listened/read.

Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
It was grate.

After I was dismissed on Wednesday at 1230 I went home and changed into Civies. Then went to my buddies house and we drank until 0430 Thanksgiving morning. I went home and passed out till 1130. I then went back to my buddies house and we went to the Frontier Club on post and had a Wonderful Thanksgiving Meal. We then went back to his house were we passed out again till 1600ish and then went out to see a movie. We first went to Jack in the Box for some chow and proceeded to the movies were we saw the new James Bond movie at 2130. it was grate. Afterward we went home and had a few shots of Southern Comfort and I went home and just woke up.

Man life is grate.

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanksgiving has come and gone, followed by five hours of sleep, work, a Friday that was so crowded with things to do I couldn't even get online, five more hours of sleep, and more work. Ah, well...today I can do a little better than five hours sleep, and get some more rest and relaxation besides. (Might even have time for some writing.)
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I roasted green beans, made pumpkin "pudding" (pie without the crust), and honey cornbread, and then took them to the in-laws for a big family gathering (where I prepared four pomegranates before we actually sat down to eat).

After dinner, I went to work on my daughter's laptop (which I'd been battling all week, trying to upgrade it from one with a 40-gig hard drive with .5 gig of ram to one with a 120-gig hard drive with 2 gigs of ram). The ram upgrade was pretty simple, but the hard drive upgrade required lots of software transfers and application installing and still wouldn't work right.

I finally tried driver agent (which OSC talked about a while ago in one of his reviews, and which I therefore got an account with), and that worked. So the day ended well, and my daughter is excited about how well and how quickly her laptop works now.

And I'm thankful.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gardener
Member # 7948

- posted      Profile for Gardener   Email Gardener         Edit/Delete Post 
We had tofurky with stuffing and gravy, roasted veggies and of course the standard green bean casserole. Yummy. I had a sudden craving for those layered biscuits from my childhood. I've been a careful eater for ages now, I buy very little in a standard grocery store. So we picked some up and what a disappointment. Nothing compared to the memory. Maybe they were making them with lard back then...(eek!)
Posts: 72 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I hosted 6 people at my place, the most I've ever done before. It was fun! Appetizers: deep-fried, anchovy-stuffed olives, four kinds of cheeses, salumi, and veggies. Dinner: brined turkey with gravy, pork loin stuffed with cherries and apples, mashed Peruvian potatoes, cornbread, collard greens, pickled beets, and beet greens. For dessert, my friend made tarte tartin and pumpkin pie, with salted caramel ice cream.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tempest
Member # 8242

- posted      Profile for tempest   Email tempest         Edit/Delete Post 
I spent most of Thanksgiving sick in bed. I love to cook, but just couldn't do much this year. We had family over who, thankfully brought some of the food. It went well, but not too many leftovers. My 5 year old learned how to sign the Pledge of Allegiance at school and shared it with us, it was fun.
We're thankful for a wonderful life
tempest

Posts: 171 | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.