Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Gangs of Fun Last Night

Author Topic: Gangs of Fun Last Night
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Due to several unforeseen incidents, I came home from 2nd shift last night to a cold house here in Indiana. The therrmastat was reading around 40 degrees! Come to find out that about 2600 local residents were without power, which means for us country folk no heat, no running water, no nothing. My husband was home when it happened, and the power had been off for about 3 hours when I got home.

We went to bed bundled up in our clothes and winter coats with ski caps on to keep our body heat from escaping under the covers until about 2:30 am before throwing in the towel and heading for the Salvation Army emergency shelter in town. By then, the temps in our house were reading around 36 to 38 degrees.

Came home about 5:30 am after the power came back on, and the furnace fan hasn't been off yet. It got down to around minus 17 last night, and the predicted high for today is 0.

I did manage to get 4 hours sleep once we got home this morning. Hopefully, I can make it through work, today without falling asleep. LOL I'll be going in for my shift at 3:00 pm. Sure feels strange not to be out of my clothes for almost 24 hours straight... very strange indeed.

It only now about up to the temp we usually keep the house.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear about last night, Crystal. I live in a rural area as well, and no power means no water. Fortunately, I have a gas fireplace in case we ever go without heat for a long time. You should consider investing in one of those or even a wood stove, which would be considerably less expensive.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry to hear about that. I live on a mountain, so no power, no water, and we have horses. So, many a time I have trudged through 3 feet of snow to break ice in the little spring to haul water back. It never fails, by the time i get back the powers on.

On a side note, we had only a woodstove when my wife and I married, no heat upstairs. One morning it was -8 outside, the insdie was 30, we could see our breath. My in-laws didnt want to snowmobile becuase it was too cold outside, My wife and I laughed because we finally got to wear our snowsuits for what they were intended, not watching tv. We still have photos of the 2 dogs, 2 cats and us huddled by the woodstove in the basement, watching tv on a 12 inch tv, with only 1 station(yes, I still channel surfed(no it didnt even have a remote)). Good times. Young and in love. The love still lasts, the dogs have passed, the cats still steal the covers, but now I don't mind so much, we got heat the next year.

Sorry about power loss, but you'll get through it, and I second the vote, for an alternative source of hear, a woodstove is great, you can cook on it as well.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, that sounds cold. I wish it would cool down a little here, but maybe not that cold. It was a sin, but I actually turned on our air conditioning today because it was so hot when I got home from the park today. Our worst time not to have power is in the middle of summer. It happened once and we took a shower in our pajamas and then laid in bed with the fan on high. It didn't help much.
Good luck with the cold and don't mind me if I get a little envious sometimes.

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
11 degrees here. Gosh-darned global warming!
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Right now here in sunny Florida, it's a chilly fifty-five Fahrenheit. I know that doesn't match what is is further north, but this is about the coldest it regularly gets, and then only for a week or so in the winter.

'tweren't my idea to live in Florida. I was hijacked by my parents.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rommel Fenrir Wolf II
Member # 4199

- posted      Profile for Rommel Fenrir Wolf II   Email Rommel Fenrir Wolf II         Edit/Delete Post 
the highs here in WSMR are in the 60s and lows in the 20s.

but it is not cold egnough for me. i like it when it is below 0

RFW2nd

Posts: 856 | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Patrick James
Member # 7847

- posted      Profile for Patrick James   Email Patrick James         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for telling me. I will forward all of my below zero weather to you then.
Posts: 604 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.