Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Happy Payday!

Author Topic: Happy Payday!
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I recently helped my mentor, whom is a retired French chef, to write his memoirs. I put in alot of hours with it, but for all intents and purposes was doing it as homage to a friend and mentor.

He really is an interesting fellow whom I truly admire, even though I have been cussed at, have had objects hurled at me, and worked like a slave.

Now in his sixties, he just sold his restaraunt last year. That is when I called it quits to. But long ago he, among other things was the chef for Jacque Cousteau aboard the Calypso for over a decade.

Anyway long story short, we had luch today and he handed me a check for $4500 which is right about the monthly salary I used to earn from him. I tried to convince him that even though it took us a month to write, I didn't work on it relentlessly throughought and he was giving me too much, but he wouldn't have it. He said this was really important to him and it couldn't have been completed without my help. I know when to stop argueing.

So this was rewarding on many levels. Hopefully I will have more paydays like this as a writer!

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
That is such nice news, Scott.

May there be many more such paydays for you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Thanks, Kathleen. It made my day.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
How nice!
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AmieeRock
Member # 8393

- posted      Profile for AmieeRock   Email AmieeRock         Edit/Delete Post 
That is really cool. Did he put his recipies in his memoirs??!!!
Posts: 72 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Nope, no recipes. Just sixty-seven years of a very interesting life. a few years cooking in the french army, then a half decade apprenticing in the finest restaraunt in Marseilles. As mentioned, he did about a decade with Jacque Couseaux. Then the rest of his career opening restraunts from Aspen to the Barbados and finally to Florida where our paths crossed.

pardon my spelling, I am sleepy.

I am actually writing a cookbook though. Due out soon

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.