Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Sandcastle Competition

Author Topic: Sandcastle Competition
mikemunsil
Member # 2109

- posted      Profile for mikemunsil   Email mikemunsil         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife and I used to consult on sandcastle competitions down at Galveston. Our team sucked that year and I got in a rush trying to get sand up a ramp to the people loading our form. I was barefoot, pushing a full wheelbarrow load of wet sand up a ramp. I had just planted my right foot forward and placed all my weight on it (and the weight of the wheelbarrow) when the ramp came apart and the section of wood with the wheelbarrow on it popped straight backwards into the toes of my foot.

I felt a flash of pain and then nothing. When I looked down my big toe was bent over the other toes and my foot looked kinda weird.

Just at that moment, my wife called out that our 2 year old was missing. We looked around and when no one could find him she went up the beach one way and I went down the other, hobbling along as fast as I could. As it turned out, I went the wrong way, and as I don't give up easily, I went a mile or so. On the way back the foot was throbbing like hell, but the toe still didn't hurt.

The doctor who looked at my x-rays said that she stopped counting individual fractures at 25. She said the walking I did probably severed some nerves. A few months later, I started falling when the foot just wouldn't work right. After falling down the stairs I went back and had surgery done to free up the nerves. That foot is about a size smaller than the other now, and I have a nice 5-inch scar and a weird looking big toe.

So, no more sandcastle competitions for me.

Posts: 2710 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.