Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » A weird emial

Author Topic: A weird emial
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I just got this weird email, the weirdness is that it came from a girl who was my assistant editor on Warp and Weave. She had a far greater grasp of grammar than me (or is that I?) so I doubt she wrote it.

Hi,
It is long time for that we have not seen each other. Is everything good? Here is a news for shopping. My phone lost in the party of last month. So i bought new one in www.(deleted because I don't want to post a possible virus link).com. Yesterday, I got it. It is really nice. We have never seen this good price. It is better more than our market. My phone jsut cost me 89EUR ( incluidng the shipping cost). They also sell the latops, TVs , Ipod and many products. You can go there to choose them. Just think it is a very good news. So i just want to share with you . You can vist their website to choose the tiem you want.
Their website:www.(ditto).com
Kind Regards,

I thought it was funny, but I think she has a virus or something.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DWD
Member # 8649

- posted      Profile for DWD   Email DWD         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, her email address was hijacked. Happening more and more often.... Most of them will be a link and a message urging you to go take a look. Many of them are just attempts to artificially increase page hits for someone's site, but some are more dangerous. I've found that GMail's spam filter seems to be good at trapping at least some of them, depending on how the hijacking was done.

But, like yours, the very bad English often gives them away. Lately I've taken to verifying any email with a link or attachment if I wasn't expecting it. It's a pain to call or email someone to do that verifying, but...

Posts: 88 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wetwilly
Member # 1818

- posted      Profile for wetwilly   Email wetwilly         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. If you're going to go to the trouble to hijack an English-speaking e-mail account, please to learning of speak the English. Is much greater effectiveness in this manner.
Posts: 1528 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
If you only con one person in a million into giving up vital financial information which you can then use to rip them off...pegging the current population of the world at between six and seven billion, that's still six or seven thousand people to take advantage of.

That's why they're still out there trying...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
hurray for phishing...
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're all being too hasty. You should call your friend and see if he/she's become an aphasic within the last little while. Maybe head trauma or something.
Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.