Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Bye, Bye, Betelgeuse

Author Topic: Bye, Bye, Betelgeuse
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you see this one? Might happen in our lifetimes...

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,525695,00.html

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
It might already be gone, for that matter.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Devnal
Member # 6724

- posted      Profile for Devnal   Email Devnal         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it just me or does that pic at the link totally mess with you when you look away and back at it?
Posts: 303 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DWD
Member # 8649

- posted      Profile for DWD   Email DWD         Edit/Delete Post 
It'll be OK, though. Just say the name three times and it'll come back.
Posts: 88 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa Devnal that's so trippy!
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Ford and Zaphod Although I seem to remember Zaphod blew up his own planet. So perhaps he's still at work now.

quote:
Red giant stars are thought to have short, complicated and violent lifespans.

Sadly the same could be said of writers.

[This message has been edited by Pyre Dynasty (edited June 11, 2009).]

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CABaize
Member # 8032

- posted      Profile for CABaize   Email CABaize         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I leaned back in my chair while I was reading the article, and for a moment I thought I was losing my mind (or my eyesight). That is kind of trippy.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Feel sorry for the serious SF writers who set stories in and around Betelgeuse...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, that's just great. Now, Orion will lose his pants!
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
/quote: Red giant stars are thought to have short, complicated and violent lifespans. /quote

Hate to nitpick, but red giant stars are the second stage of stars such as our own sun. When their Hydrogen mostly burns out they expand to many times their original size and begin burning Helium. When the Helium burns out they collapse into a brown dwarf and disappear except for a slight radiation signature. They burn for billions of years.

Edit: I was wondering why Fox would make such an obvious mistake. The answer is Betelgeuse is classified as a red supergiant and not a red giant. Supergiants are among the largest stars, and thus have extremely short lifespans. Betelgeuse has an estimated lifespan of 8.5 million years.

*The more you know*

[This message has been edited by Natej11 (edited June 22, 2009).]

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
drake the thall
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for drake the thall   Email drake the thall         Edit/Delete Post 
although, it would be sweet to see the explosion...
Posts: 35 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.