Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Wacko Spelling Errors

Author Topic: Wacko Spelling Errors
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Just one that's been on my mind since I saw it a couple weeks back. These postcards going through the mail for this security service. They wrote that their service "gives you piece of mind." "Piece" spelled "P-I-E-C-E," and not "P-E-A-C-E."

Not that I was considering getting something like it, but, boy, it sure didn't inspire my confidence in their service...

I've got a few others, but I'd thought I'd post one and see if it got any response.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
You oughta call them up and give them a peace of your mind.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
maybe they're hawking brain fragments
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
I once wrote "persecutor" instead of "prosecutor". That was worth a coupla laughs.
Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
maybe they're hawking brain fragments

Oh-oh. I feel a story brewing...

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one that's been on my mind for years...

When I was in grade school, in one class, the teacher had us take turns trying to pronounce "P-E-N-I-S-U-L-A," meaning that projection of land sticking out into the ocean. Nobody, not even me, had it down pat.

It was twenty years or more before I realized "peninsula" should be spelled with a second "n"...one's education dollars at work, I guess...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
HA! Gives it a whole new nuance though, doesn't it?
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

A nuance I wasn't aware of until years later---this was only, like, second grade.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
A nuance like that is called a time bomb. It waits to go off. I can't remember anything off the top of my head. I purposely misspell needless and write needles. Just for fun.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

This one from a magazine article, years ago, reporting on the sorry state of teaching:

[written on a blackboard]: "Put these words in alfabetical order."

Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I remember a crosswalk to a school that said "Sochol zone"
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I once saw a report / statement of my activities at work where a supervisor (now retired, thank God) wrote that I had "blocked the isles." Since "isles" came up about a dozen times in the report, it was really funny. (Since the guy was trying to fire me, it was less than funny at the time.)
CaptJay76
Member # 8769

- posted      Profile for CaptJay76   Email CaptJay76         Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly off topic, but this thread made me think of something that happens to me from time to time. You ever write or type a word, a common word that you use relatively often, and spell it correctly, but it for some reason looks wrong? Just out of the blue, it looks totally wrong, even though you've typed it a thousand times?

I was just typing a character intro in the character interview forum. I typed the word "octagon." That is the correct spelling, of course, but I thought it was wrong, and changed it to "octogon", which was obviously incorrect. So I immediately changed it back, whereupon it STILL looked wrong! Finally I used Merriam Webster online to check it. When it came back "octagon", as I originally spelled it, I actually checked the definition to make SURE it was the 8 sided object we were talking about, and not some other strange thing called octagon.

Is this just me? Am I insane?

Posts: 46 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

No matter how many times I look it up, I can't decide between "aggravate" and "aggrivate" when I write it down. At least spell checking clues me in.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

There was a long stretch in my WIP where my girl was traveling through a canyon, and I couldn't stop myself from writing caynor. I don't know why, finally I ended up naming a character Caynor just to try to train myself out of it, but it still doesn't work, even then when I wrote canyon just now I wrote it wrong the first, but now I wrongly capitalize it.

Sometimes when the vowels are mocking you it means you need to take a break.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
CaptJay76, that happens to me every so often, and it drives me crazy because I know it's right even though it doesn't look right.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sunshine
Member # 3701

- posted      Profile for Sunshine   Email Sunshine         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to edit the documents for professional staff at my workplace. Once read the following:

"The claimant went to see the rapist at Sacred Hearth's Consoling Center".

Was supposed to read:

"The claimant went to see the therapist at Sacred Heart's Counseling Center".

That one cracked me up.

I'll take TheRapist for $1,000, Alex.

Posts: 90 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andrew_McGown
Member # 8732

- posted      Profile for Andrew_McGown   Email Andrew_McGown         Edit/Delete Post 
thnaks

i write it on pretty much every email

Posts: 185 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.