Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Bugged About Debugging

Author Topic: Bugged About Debugging
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
The last few days, I've been surfing the 'net and I keep getting a "debug" message on some sites, not here, but elsewhere. It tells me there's something in some line of software of my AOL program that's wrong---near as I can make out. The line varies from incident to incident. It wants me to debug it---but how would I go about doing that?

You could take what I know about comptuers and pour it into a thimble, and still have room left over for a "Computers for Dummies" book---and I still wouldn't know what to do. Seems to be related in some way to the graphics of the sites, but I dunno.

I've tried debugging---clicking on "yes" instead of no and following the directions---but I wind up on a screen with the software written out---I'm afraid to alter something at this stage for fear the whole thing might not work afterwards.

Do I have some magic something on my computer that might help? (I thought I had some kind of "repair wizard" thing but I can't locate it.) Do I avoid certain sites? If I reloaded my AOL stuff would that do the trick---assuming I could even find the disk?

Any suggestions?

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Does it look like this:
http://flexonblog.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/flas.jpg

If so it's just an error with flash player. Usually because a particular banner add or video isn't set up correctly. I've been getting the same error quite a bit (even sometimes on youtube).

I'd just ignore it for now, doesn't hurt nuthin.

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
halogen
Member # 6494

- posted      Profile for halogen   Email halogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Or, does it look like this:
http://www.devguru.com/images/ie_debug_alert.gif

If it is this one I'd say start using firefox . There's a way to get rid of this in IE

http://www.uchsc.edu/sop/IT_Services/2.Computer_Tips/downloads/2004/03-26-04.html

Posts: 207 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
There are spam pop ups designed to look like your virus protection telling you that you have an ungodly amount of bugs.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like the latter, the one at "devguru"...I'd prefer to fix it, but would settle for disabling it. It is rather annoying.

Mention of YouTube reminds me that I've recently been looking at a number of postings on it---started by looking for an album by Lenny and the Squigtones and progressed to everything from a very moving clip of Edith Piaf singing "Les Trois Cloches," plus nearly every bootleg Beatles track I'd ever heard of but not previously heard. Thought I might've picked up something in the process.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
AOL itself is a bug. Dump it.
Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I think I solved my bugging / debugging yesterday...I downloaded Internet Explorer 8, to replace 7...I went to Google, where the "debug" message popped up every time...this time, it popped up with a debugging choice (yes or no) with a "do not display this message again" line to check. I chose "no" and "do not display," and no debugging messages have popped up despite going through my whole lineup of sites.

I know this doesn't really "fix" anything. I prefer "fix" to "keeping things going" (my experience at work reinforces this, 'cause at the USPS, no piece of equipment is ever properly fixed, it's just patched up to make it through the moment). But in this matter I don't have much choice. I'm rid of the annoyance of having to click on dozens of these things every time I'm websurfing, and that's enough...till something else comes along.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.