Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » My Perfect Writerly Day

Author Topic: My Perfect Writerly Day
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
In a perfect world what would your day look like? Here is my dream day.

Wake up at 8:00 a.m. to a healthy, but filling breakfast (it's also very low in calories and fat yet incredibly delicious)

8:30 exercise at the gym for an hour, get dressed and leave looking beautiful.

9:30 Read a good book for two hours. I would choose different places to do this. Some days at a park, sometimes in my backyard, sometimes in bed, at a bookstore, wherever else I may think of.

11:30 Go out to lunch with friends (again the lunch is incredibly delicious yet is healthy)

12:30 write for two hours or three, actually however long I feel but I would try to put in at least two hours

2:30 Go outside, go for a walk, get away from the computer, visit someone, go shopping, discover where my kids are since they have no pressence in this day, just take a break

4:30 Put in another hour of writing time

5:30 Have a wonderful dinner, relax, have fun

10:30 Go to Bed

Aaaah (this is a sigh of contenment)

Edited to add:
After six months of this program she was able to produce a novel that was immediately published. Everyone loved it, even Oprah (it was 2nd world fantasy too). The book became an immediate bestseller. She then produced many more books all of which were wonderful and everyone loved them. She became so rich that she gave out five hundred dollar bills to the bums on the street. The books were so perfect and lovely that they all became classics and generation after generation adored them. The whole collection was even taken on the first colony ship that left earth. One hundred years later they became the new world's Bible and spawned a new religion, which actually turned out to be a rather bad thing, but that's another story.

[This message has been edited by satate (edited February 22, 2010).]

Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
What a fun fantasy.

In My Perfect World (MPW), there are two types of days...

1) I wake up before dawn with a great idea and write non-stop for hours, well into the night, forgetting the need to eat or otherwise appear to be presentable. In MPW, some days of this provides energy and pocket change for (2).

2) I wake up early, excited that today the family and I are doing [[New And Crazy Activity #847]]. In MPW this provides ideas and experiences which fuel (1).

At present my writing skills don't let me simply 'let go' and flow with story as much as I'd like to, so (1) remains a pipe dream. But it's something to move towards.

But the real schedule... now there's something we don't need to intrude into this little fantasy...

[This message has been edited by BenM (edited February 22, 2010).]

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all I am either making a living off my writing or am somehow independently wealthy. (This dream does not include my wife working so I don't have to, that's just not how I roll.)
My dream ends satisfactorily and I wake up forgetting it completely. I have chocolate cake for breakfast (it has all the same stuff as pancakes just in a different configuration) and have my moment of peace. Peace achieved I kill just enough digital monsters and eat lunch. (If you must know it would be Psycho Ramen, mushroom bologna variety.) Then I descend into my office and play some free cell ordering my thoughts as I order the cards. Then comes the work. I strap myself to the chair and set an arbitrary time for butt in chair time. Then my fingers fly over my rollup keyboard to my varied collection of instrumentals. Once the time runs out I scream at the clock and run another hour. Then I find myself outside thinking about muffins and decide I must be done for the day. Then people come home and I have a life, still coasting on my writer's high.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if I could write much more than I do if I had A Perfect Writerly Day. Besides the effect of chucking my job in order to do it (actually, I'd do that in a minute if I could make as much writing as I do at my job), after a certain point I get tired of writing and have to get up and give up.

Besides that, I'm subject to occasional back trouble, and am right now in the middle of one. (Lower back, with achy pain going all the way down into my right leg.) Hunching over the typewriter for more than an hour or two is out of the quesion. I could probably put something together that's more ergonomic---I probably should, actually0---but I'd have to clean out my so-called office, and that would involve heavy lifting and a lot of bending, and with my back bothering me that's out of the question.

(Say, guys, how well do those "roll-up" keyboards work? I gave a couple to relatives this Christmas as a gag gift---they liked 'em, near as I could tell, but are they any good for what they have to do?)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I have chocolate cake for breakfast (it has all the same stuff as pancakes just in a different configuration) ...

Bill Cosby is pure genius for publisizing that.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

I think a few of you are missing the point. In a perfect world (or maybe imaginary world would be more clear) you wouldn't have back pain as you sat writing and you wouldn't have to worry about money either. Just pretend your job was suddenly incredibly chartiable that they decided to keep paying you while you stayed home writing or a distant relative that you didn't even know died and left enough that you made your current salary for the rest of your life. (I say only current salary because if your already rich then it's not as fun to pretend that you got rich from writing. Not that being rich is the end goal of writing, just that it would be fun.)
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
In a perfect world, I'd've been published thirty-five years ago and would not be here right now looking for tips.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
My perfect writerly day is the one where Doc Brown suddenly crashes through my door saying "Cm'on! We need to go back!" And I respond, "Back? Back where!?" And he says, "Back..to the future."

And then I wake up in 2015...which is only five years away...I hope we have flying cars and hover boards and holographic sharks and power lace boots and autodry jackets and a cgi michael jackson serving me pepsi - even though I like coke...and also wonder if the universe would annihilate itself if I meet my future self...

Then I'll secretly dispose my future self and doc brown into the old timeline with the DeLorean and resume my future self's life as his suddenly younger self, and hopefully reaping all the success and benefits from his already published novels without having to do the actual work. In the evening I'll pour a glass of cognac, light up a cuban, stare out my window into the dark canopy of my jungle vista of my cabin by the lake, and laugh an evil heckling laugh into the night.

That night I sleep like a baby, my lasts thoughts of the night are of marveling the evil genius in me.

...Then I wake up, grumble, start my day, and hopefully not spend the whole day day-dreaming.

EDIT: wait...that's just my regular days...

[This message has been edited by billawaboy (edited February 24, 2010).]

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

LOL
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
In this life, I wouldn't fear my dreams. I would go to bed at a healthy time and wake up early.

7:00 AM - Stare out a window while eating a large seasonal breakfast and letting the mind wander into one story or another.

7:30 AM - Skim through my notes of the chosen story, or record new concepts developed during breakfast.

8:00 AM - Start writing.

10:00 AM - Make a cup of coffee. While it's brewing, go through a yoga routine during which nothing shifts out of place or needs to shift back into place. Meditate.

11:00 AM - Review what was written before break to ensure that another approach wouldn't work better. Sip my coffee and nibble on a pre-lunch snack.

Noon - Lunch with my husband (and kids, if they exist).

1:00ish PM - Play around on the Internet, catch up on social networking sites, and write the next blog post.

3:00ish PM - Read some else's published work.

4:00 PM - Return to writing.

6:00 PM - Practice one martial art or another with my husband.

7:00 PM - Eat dinner. Watch a movie or TV episode.

Between 9:00 PM and 10:00 PM - Go to bed. Snuggle.

*An alternate Perfect Day involves going to a convention, sitting on panels, teaching a workshop, and signing copies of my books for devoted fans.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

I'm astonished I missed this post the first time around.

Anyway...I've given the layout of what I would consider my perfect writer's day some thought, and realized it would not be much fun for me if I were to live the same schedule of events day after day. So, instead, I have identified what type of events I would want included in my writer's paradise, but turned them into 'modules' that I could plug in whenever I felt like it.

So, without further ado, here is a list of my Writer's Paradise modules:

----------------------

The School module
Yep. I would enroll at one of the Universities near me. I even know what degree program I want to follow. Because my writer's paradise includes a built-in "Don't need to work for a living" module, I don't really have a reason to earn a degree so I can better my position in the work force. Yet, in looking back on my past writing exploits, my most creative and most inspirational stretches of output always paralleled my enrollment in college or my employment at jobs that tasked my mind to stretch in new directions. Ergo, enrolling in a handful of classes per semester, while potentially constricting my writing time, will instead be one of the best investments to my creative process---and especially my creative growth---I could ever make.

The Travel module
To the library. To places or research. To run personal errands. To one of my places of power. To nowhere in particular. There may be stretches of time where I have absolutely nowhere to go, but I will still reserve the right to hop in my truck and go wherever I want. Because I can. And because: the more I get out of my writing studio and see things I've not seen before, the more scenic inspiration I'll have to draw on when I finally make it back to my studio.

The Experimentation module
Every once in a while, an artist spends time experimenting with different type of brushes or drawing pencils, with the expectation of creating a brand new method by which to present his visions. I thought back to when I first started writing, and how many different styles I experimented with before I finally found one I felt captured on paper the thoughts and the views that played inside my head. Even today, I invent and experiment with new ways of creating character interactions and other such aspects of the story development process, so periodically evoking an experimental module seems like a no-brainer. Except, it won't be just about writing. I've been meaning to spend some time experimenting in the kitchen. I may even take a shot at auto mechanics and bodywork. At this point in time, who knows what I might want to do?

The Physical Activity module
I might get a gym membership. I might attempt to discover under what pile of 'stuff' my old mountain bike is hiding. I might dig out my old street hockey equipment or my old golf clubs. Either way, I will insist my Writer's Paradise includes some sort of physical activity; without it, by doing not much more than sitting on my butt behind a PC, my physical size will expand to the point where my gravity well will start competing with the Earth for the moon's attention.

The Writing module
Two distinct phases come to mind.

I'll address the un-fun phase first.

The editing phase. To many of my fellow writers, 'edit' is a four-letter word, but I concede it's a necessary evil in the profession of writing, so I'll want to perform this task in my own studio. In a perfect writer's paradise, this studio---which, by the way, will be in an undisclosed location---will be a cross between a book-lined think tank and a poster child-esque haven for the feng shui way. Except...in reality, the studio in which I currently reside---which, by the way, is right off the family room---more resembles a cross between a public library after a tornado touch down and a 24-hour Chuck E. Cheese. How I get any editing work done at all is still a great source of mystery to me.

The enjoyable phase to this module is the writing itself. While my perfect writer's studio will be where a good deal of the writing will take place, there will be plenty of times where I will plug in the Travel module and do my writing wherever I may happen to find a new place of power. Still...all my final versions come together in my writing studio, so much of my attention---and presence---will be there.

-------------------

Plugging any number of these modules into each day, in whatever order and in whatever quantity seems like the most enjoyable way to go, will guarantee freshness. Freshness leads to enthusiasm. Enthusiasm leads to the free flow of creative juices. And that, boys and girls, leads to inspired writing.

Of course, I reserve the right to create other 'modules' as I see fit. After all, it's my version of a writer's paradise.

Oh...I just came up with a new one! The Vending Machine module. This one will contain unlimited free bottles of Pepsi Throwback.

With that one in play, I'll probably want to plug in the Physical Activity module a few extra times.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.