Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Grist for the Mill » Crazy Year

Author Topic: Crazy Year
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
A few weeks ago it was tornado alerts. Now we're under a tsunami advisory.

I've lived here all my life. This is the first time I remember either one.

It's certainly a crazy year weatherwise. And it's only February.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought Global warming was supposed to lessen extreme weather, lol. Might be just getting more intense as they anticipate thus requiring warnings...

Wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming#Environmental

quote:
Additional anticipated effects include...increasingly intense, in some locations, (but less frequent) hurricanes [67]and extreme weather events,[68]...

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Historic Tsunamis in California

Chile is one of the big contributors to tsunamis in California. I wonder if anyone on the news will talk about why.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, what are you being told to do under the advisory?
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
By the way, what are you being told to do under the advisory?

It was only an advisory, not an alert, fortunately. They just said to stay off the beaches and away from the ocean. It was raining, anyway. How many people go to the beach during thunderstorms. No, wait, this is Southern California. Don't answer that.

It's been a little hard to find information, but apparently our "tsunami" was about one and a half feet the last I checked.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Well I hope things turn out okay for you. I was watching the news for half my shift, the other half I was facing away from the tv.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Meredith it has been a crazy year. My mom called me this morning to tell me about the huge earthquake in Chili and that it was supposed to cause tsunamis all the way to Japan. She was really worried because my step dad had to fly to Hawaii this weekend and was now stranded there and had to be evacuated to higher ground and couldn't fly back home as planned. It turned out the tsunami was only three feet or something and he's coming home tonight. Still, it was a bit of a scare.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
"Pay no attention to how cold it is outside, or how deep the snow is; remember, denying global warming is akin to Holocaust denial."
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

I'm not quite sure how Global Warming could be responsible for an earthquake in Chile that caused a (very small) tsunami.
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I am supposed to move to Hilo, Hawaii. Very glad that there was no damage there or suffering there.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Mauna Loa is 13,679 feet high...I think you can get above even the fifty-foot waves.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking at property in Mountain View/Puna so yes I would be safe. My comment was in relief for the town of Hilo where I would be working and just general relief for the people/homes on the coast.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
They said on the national news an earthquake--any earthquake--has nothing to do with global warming. I'm not saying they're right, but that's what they said.

Just thinkin' maybe there's a story of some sort to be written from a situation like this? Might be interesting <big shrug>.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I wuz thinkin o' tornadoes.
Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Global warming is strictly a surface phenomenon, unless it is affected by planetary outgassing (and earthquakes and volcanoes are ways for planets to outgas).

No amount of surface warming is going to have any affect at all on what goes on inside a planet. It's a matter of scale, and surface effects of any kind are infinitesimal when compared to the huge amount of planet there is beneath the surface.

So earthquakes and volcanoes and such may affect global warming, but they are certainly not affected by global warming.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I imagine the sun going nova would have some affect on the internal structure of the planet...but I have no hard data on that.
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Damn you, Robert!

I was going to make a very similar snarky remark!

Edited to add:

[This message has been edited by Zero (edited March 02, 2010).]

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
The sun going nova doesn't count as warming. That's more in the "burning to a crisp if not outright disintegrating" category.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Here's something NASA claims the earthquake did do to the earth.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/03/03/chile-quake-shortened-earths-days/

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Yeah, that's pretty crazy. But it would take an 8.8 earthquake in a mountainous region (and the Andes are pretty high and massive mountains) to cause even that small a shift.
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't worry the sun is going to expand far beyond the orbit of earth before it goes nova. (And my personal theory is that once it gets that big Jupiter is going to fall into it and ignite and set of a chain reaction that will wobble what used to be our solar system all around the milky way picking up more and more matter till we find ourselves at the center of a brand new black hole. Thus creating an unheard of binary black whole system that will effectively end this universe long before entropy has a chance to do it.) Now where's Doctor Who when you need him?
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.